Transfers - Summer 2024 | Page 12 | Vital Football

Transfers - Summer 2024

I've got to disagree; Carrick's key strength and playing position was as a deep lying playmaker where his almost uncanny ability to pick a pass, and deliver it was probably one of, if not the best I've ever seen. He was a true Quarterback, who could play any pass he liked under pressure - a rare talent.

But his tackling was often less than great, he didn't score many goals, and he wasn't a true B2B player - in his heyday, in fact if anything the reason so many were marmite on him was because he could be frustratingly lazy at times, and the fans would know it. Fergie knew this and put him alongside players that compensated for these weaknesses. He had no steel and wasn't a leader.

It's a player without his weaknesses we need, even if they aren't the greatest passer.

TBH, that's fair. It's the Carrick attributes that you mention that we need, not the other stuff.

Of course, I'm saying this without knowing much about Bergval. He might have the mid to long range passing. Even Hojbjerg has sprayed some fantastic balls this season and I do remember one amazing cross-field ball from Sarr. That being said, whoever lines up in central defence and centre mid need to a better job than what we've seen this season at progressive passing. They do the 5-aside stuff well but need to find those mid range passes that create space. This was probably where Ange was getting the best out of Matt O'Riley who has now gone on to become a goalscorer as well.

Ultimately, we need to get beyond that point that if you negate Madds, you negate Spurs. Then you negate Porro from the equation like the last couple of weeks and you miss his distribution.

TBH, that's fair. It's the Carrick attributes that you mention that we need, not the other stuff.

Of course, I'm saying this without knowing much about Bergval. He might have the mid to long range passing. Even Hojbjerg has sprayed some fantastic balls this season and I do remember one amazing cross-field ball from Sarr. That being said, whoever lines up in central defence and centre mid need to a better job than what we've seen this season at progressive passing. They do the 5-aside stuff well but need to find those mid range passes that create space. This was probably where Ange was getting the best out of Matt O'Riley who has now gone on to become a goalscorer as well.

Ultimately, we need to get beyond that point that if you negate Madds, you negate Spurs. Then you negate Porro from the equation like the last couple of weeks and you miss his distribution.
All understandable; but in my mind when I watch, we don't need more creation = we're scoring well enough.

It's our ability to leak goals which is a shambles and we need someone who can be that QB/anchor who will orchestrate us when we are under attack - that's our biggest issue as of now.

All understandable; but in my mind when I watch, we don't need more creation = we're scoring well enough.

It's our ability to leak goals which is a shambles and we need someone who can be that QB/anchor who will orchestrate us when we are under attack - that's our biggest issue as of now.

This is a new team, but Ange needs to pile the pressure on quite a few of them to lead and communicate. My opinion, but adding in one more will help but won't solve what is broken. The 2 young lads, Sarr and Udogie, need to use their brains more. They play with their hearts, not their heads. Romero and Bissouma also need to step up and start orchestrating their team mates better when we're defending. They are seniors. As for Venom, VDV, Bents and Porro, they can all do more. So can Madds from a slightly advanced position, who misses key moments to get involved. He did the same at Leicester. Then there is the captain who has his mental flaws with defending.

Clearly the sum of the parts here can make a big difference to the goals conceded column. It starts on the training ground.

I also think the manager and his players don't value clean sheets enough. They are too obsessed with the attack, attack, attack Ange ball to see that they overload the final third and leave themselves exposed behind.

our ability to leak goals which is a shambles and we need someone who can be that QB/anchor who will orchestrate us when we are under attack - that's our biggest issue as of now.
Quote of the week Spex, been saying this for ages, worth 'u ignoring you for this, quote, alone 😉

Totally agree. You could see Hojbjerg dropping in deep as an extra CB to make 3 at the back against Palace, so perhaps somebody in the mould of Sandro

Have we anyone capable of playing the role presently, or are we going to have to enter the transfer market again?

I don't think we do have it yet. Our defending is done by a bunch of Hans Solos. Once they figure out that working together in a team defensive structure is more efficient way then they will stop this nonsense of just chasing the players with the ball. Most of this is on Ange for not having a decent defensive structure, especially the midfield and full-backs.

I don't think we do have it yet. Our defending is done by a bunch of Hans Solos. Once they figure out that working together in a team defensive structure is more efficient way then they will stop this nonsense of just chasing the players with the ball. Most of this is on Ange for not having a decent defensive structure, especially the midfield and full-backs.
I was thinking more in line with our loanees or the kids?

Leadership and footballing intelligence in defence; as we have seen, bizarrely, we have little to none, and it's costing us goals.

Have we anyone capable of playing the role presently, or are we going to have to enter the transfer market again?
At the risk of repeating myself, I am convinced that Romero would be well suited to the role and then we can bring in Drago - but in fairness of course we know that he hasn't played a high line and it feels like Ange is either not convinced or tactically doesn't see the way forward as I do.

But as we have seen Romero can make progressive passes, can get forward and is good in transition/tackling back - if you asked me what I looked for in a strong tough box to box deep laying play maker, he'd be my starting point.

I was thinking more in line with our loanees or the kids?

Most of our best U21's and U18's seem to be attack minded. The 3 exceptions could be Craig, Cassanova and Abbott. I have a sneaky feeling the horse may have bolted with Craig though. From memory, both Craig and Abbott on the pitch with the first team for the last game of the season against Leeds.

Craig was the U21 captain and is now fighting the big relegation fight with Donny Rovers on loan in League 2 for the second half of the season. He is 20. That has meant that Abbott, who is 18, has taken the armband and perhaps even dropped into centre half. That's because Dorrington is injured and Lyons-Foster left. Cassanova is also in the mix, but I've not actually seen him.

At least with 2 of them, they've been selected as leaders at a young age. You never know whether they have what it takes at the senior level to bring that into the 1s team.

Leadership and footballing intelligence in defence; as we have seen, bizarrely, we have little to none, and it's costing us goals.
I'm not sure that's the main problem. To me, the problem is the tactical set up which is leaving so much empty space with very few defenders. It's inevitable that we will concede goals with how Ange is setting us up. Bissouma getting back to his early season form will help, but the holding/defensive players are on a hiding to nothing

I'm not sure that's the main problem. To me, the problem is the tactical set up which is leaving so much empty space with very few defenders. It's inevitable that we will concede goals with how Ange is setting us up. Bissouma getting back to his early season form will help, but the holding/defensive players are on a hiding to nothing
Yep that's certainly part of our leaking goals for fun, but it's also not setting up right for goalkicks, freekicks and 'seeing' the gaps and opportunities by the opposition and not adjusting our positioning quickly enough - we need to 'think' 5 yards ahead not just try and catch those 5 yards up everytime.

Most of our best U21's and U18's seem to be attack minded. The 3 exceptions could be Craig, Cassanova and Abbott. I have a sneaky feeling the horse may have bolted with Craig though. From memory, both Craig and Abbott on the pitch with the first team for the last game of the season against Leeds.

Craig was the U21 captain and is now fighting the big relegation fight with Donny Rovers on loan in League 2 for the second half of the season. He is 20. That has meant that Abbott, who is 18, has taken the armband and perhaps even dropped into centre half. That's because Dorrington is injured and Lyons-Foster left. Cassanova is also in the mix, but I've not actually seen him.

At least with 2 of them, they've been selected as leaders at a young age. You never know whether they have what it takes at the senior level to bring that into the 1s team.
I've not been following the kids as closely as i should but have heard there are a handful of good prospects. Unfortunately i'm also hearing they could be swayed elsewhere. We need to hold on to them, although admittedly that's easier said than done.

I've not been following the kids as closely as i should but have heard there are a handful of good prospects. Unfortunately i'm also hearing they could be swayed elsewhere. We need to hold on to them, although admittedly that's easier said than done.
The U21 NLD is on Spursplay this evening k/o @ 19.00.

At the risk of repeating myself, I am convinced that Romero would be well suited to the role and then we can bring in Drago - but in fairness of course we know that he hasn't played a high line and it feels like Ange is either not convinced or tactically doesn't see the way forward as I do.

But as we have seen Romero can make progressive passes, can get forward and is good in transition/tackling back - if you asked me what I looked for in a strong tough box to box deep laying play maker, he'd be my starting point.
My concern with Romero in such a role would be his first touch and ability to make space for himself. He is used to having everything in front of him, not so easy to receive it on the half turn when pressed.

Not

Not as convinced myself but he could do given the time eventually make it his own. He's a quality addition to the squad, I'd rather play him in his tried & trusted playing position personally.

Hope we do proper due diligence if we are genuinely interested in Pedro Neto, he was subbed after suffering a hamstring issue yesterday for the second week in successsion. Apparently he has had a number of such issues, we don't want to end up with another Sessegnon.
As good as he is I don’t think he’s worth the risk at say £70m+ which is what I’d imagine he’d go for.