Toure's Tics vs the Blades | Page 6 | Vital Football

Toure's Tics vs the Blades

Sounds like you had it in your hands, upset that it was far better than we have seen recently at home!

More perverse logic. Unless you missed it, we lost. So how can it be worse than we’ve recently seen at home, especially as the last outing resulted in a win?

£29 a ticket, on TV and a week before Christmas. A very poorly attended and quiet away end considering the league position also. In regards to the lower league club comment, maybe so but at least now we have someone who will attract players and not have to go to Scotland or Lincoln for them not to be seen.

TT ….they had several good chances first half that were either well saved by Jones or superbly blocked ….also given the circumstances you outlined, it wasn’t a terrible away following at all and would doubtless have been much bigger had it been on Saturday…..but quiet ??….the noisy buggers were getting on my bloody nerves ….only quieter late on after our goal.

But still had the lone striker flapping around aimlessly on his own with only one of five midfield players worth their wages other than Cousins and Aasgard when they came on. Long balls or no long balls gave us the same result and that first half a few long clearances could have made a difference to the scoreline.
Our striker scored the goal. Our midfield was better in possession and offered for the ball far more than they usually do. The manager spotted the problem was with our full backs losing possession and made changes. Give the guy some credit as I think the majority saw improvements last night and he’s only been in the job for a couple of weeks. It’s his first managerial role and he needs the backing of the fans not people getting on his back and moaning because we lost against a team at the top end of the table.

Not to stir the pot here, but I did notice a certain Mr Critchley managed to get an away win in his first game back in the Championship…

Not to stir the pot here, but I did notice a certain Mr Critchley managed to get an away win in his first game back in the Championship…

Yep, with a ready made team that up until recently was in the top spot in the division and being managed by a man that has gone on to manage a top team in Scotland, not a team that was short on confidence having been on a poor run and being challenged to change their style of play mid season. They were also playing a team in a similar league position to themselves and not 20 places above them.

Before we start the comparisons lets at least get a few games into their reigns to allow a decent sample size to be obtained.

I rate Critchley but I don't think he'd have done much better than Toure in the last 2 games.

Whoever came to us needed to change virtually everything we've been doing while QPR just needed someone to carry on with what Beale did.

I rate Critchley but I don't think he'd have done much better than Toure in the last 2 games.

Whoever came to us needed to change virtually everything we've been doing while QPR just needed someone to carry on with what Beale did.

Qpr had lost 5 and drawn one of the last six before he took over. Seems like they got the new manager bounce we didn’t.

More perverse logic. Unless you missed it, we lost. So how can it be worse than we’ve recently seen at home, especially as the last outing resulted in a win?

It was far from perfect, individual errors cost us, but it was still a decent performance that deserved a draw against one of the top sides in the league.

I'd say it was a lot better than most home games this season, in terms of attacking intent, performance, entertainment and tactically. I'd even say it was probably a lot better in those departments than many of our L1 games.

If it wasn't for the mistakes we could've won that. Some of the worst offenders are going to be dropped and the other players should make less mistakes as they get more used to the new method of play. But given time on the training pitch we'll cut out the errors and play better.

Last edited:
Qpr had lost 5 and drawn one of the last six before he took over. Seems like they got the new manager bounce we didn’t.

They aren't a bad side though just in a bad run.

By contrast were just awful, the style of play, performances and results were near identical to Joyce's. A lot harder to get an immediate bounce when there was so much that needed to be fixed.

I'm sure Kolo know's by now, that a few of our players are not good enough for the Championship, we need Wins to stay in this League,
getting the odd Win and Draw will probably not be enough.

Luckily we are not adrift at present, but we need some Wins very soon to get away from the Relegation Zone.

I think Kolo will be having talks with Talal and Brannigan about the need for some players that at least can play at Championship level,
getting players just to make the numbers up will not work at this level of Football.

We will find out in January whether our owners are serious about staying in this League, Talal has promised to take Latics in a 'New Direction' to secure Championship safety, if this is true then we will need to recruit some good Championship standard players to avoid Relegation and to build a team for the future.

I'm sure Kolo know's by now, that a few of our players are not good enough for the Championship, we need Wins to stay in this League,
getting the odd Win and Draw will probably not be enough.

Luckily we are not adrift at present, but we need some Wins very soon to get away from the Relegation Zone.

I think Kolo will be having talks with Talal and Brannigan about the need for some players that at least can play at Championship level,
getting players just to make the numbers up will not work at this level of Football.

We will find out in January whether our owners are serious about staying in this League, Talal has promised to take Latics in a 'New Direction' to secure Championship safety, if this is true then we will need to recruit some good Championship standard players to avoid Relegation and to build a team for the future.

I think January isn't going to see many Championship sides spending a lot but it'll come down to picking up smart frees and loans.

Recall McGrath and Humphrys back on the 1st on January, then Toure can hopefully get on the phone to Klopp, Pep, Rodgers and Arteta and get some good loans.

Then hopefully we will be able to offload a few players to free up more space on the wage bill.

I think January isn't going to see many Championship sides spending a lot but it'll come down to picking up smart frees and loans.

Recall McGrath and Humphrys back on the 1st on January, then Toure can hopefully get on the phone to Klopp, Pep, Rodgers and Arteta and get some good loans.

Then hopefully we will be able to offload a few players to free up more space on the wage bill.
We are limited who we can bring in bodies need to go out first and that’s the problem

I think some posters have unrealistic expectations of what Toure could do in 2 weeks with what he inherited.

Look at to the negative, out of date hoof and hope style we were previously playing. It was churning out gutless performances and loses in 6 pointers losing to poor teams in rotten form, without managers, injury ravaged like Reading, Cardiff, Hull, Boro, Stoke, etc. Our home record was horrendous, our style was not entertaining or effective. There was absolutely no chance of success playing like that but there was no sign of improving or learning. It was pretty much identical in style and results to Joyce.

In the last 2 we played a play off contender and likely automatic promotion team and gave them both a good game and could've potentially won both playing much better football if it wasn't for our own mistakes.

We aren't anywhere approaching the finished product yet and some of the players who aren't good enough to play this style are being found out and will fall out of the side in the upcoming weeks. Unfortunately we blew so many of our easier games in the run before Toure arrived, but if Toure had those fixtures rather than the tougher fixture I think we'd have probably won most of them.

I said i personally wouldn't have taken the risk of appointing any first time manager when we were looking at candidates - but I've been greatly encouraged by what I've seen so far. In just 2 weeks I feel like we've seen more progress in our method of play than we saw in months from Richardson and given a little time I think we'll improve a lot more. I'm far more optimistic than I was of staying up.

It's far too early to really judge either way but personally I'm feeling like Toure has made a good first impression.

U know what KDZ, I might not agree with the sacking of LR, but reading ur post I do get where your coming from n kinda of agree .....that said, I do feel KT has a fair bit of a way to go to achieve this & I just hope he hits that before the end of the season

We are limited who we can bring in bodies need to go out first and that’s the problem

You can have 25 outfielder players over 21 years old, I believe we have 21. So 4 open spaces for senior players if no one goes.

Kerr is out for the season so you could even leave him off the squad list while he recovers to give us 5 spots.

We can have 5 loans in the match day squad and only have 3 in Broadhead, Fletcher and Edmonds-Green. So 2 spots open if we keep all 3.

We'll probably offload a couple on loans to L1.

So I imagine Toure will get licence to bring in 5 or 6. If they are the right players that is probably enough.

''it'll come down to picking up smart frees and loans''.

That's ok, as long they can play to Championship level,
we need to get rid of players that's for sure, to make room for new players.

U know what KDZ, I might not agree with the sacking of LR, but reading ur post I do get where your coming from n kinda of agree .....that said, I do feel KT has a fair bit of a way to go to achieve this & I just hope he hits that before the end of the season

I agree Toure has a long way to go, but I do feel he's trying to move us in the right direction. I've been plesantly suprised how much progress we've made in just 2 weeks, I thought it'd take longer to get from where we were to where we are now, so hopefully we can keep that rate of improvement and see some real end product soon.

I'm fairly sure, that after the next two Transfer Windows most of our present squad will be replaced.

I think about 15 of the current squad are out of contract in the summer but I suspect many of them will have options for the club to trigger a 1 year extension if they choose.

So Toure will certainly have the option to reshape the squad if he chooses.