Tony Xia Thread | Page 40 | Vital Football

Tony Xia Thread

Anyone remember the days when we used to talk about football and managers.

I now long to read unhinged mentalist posts about our dinosaur manager.

My Dad called Bruce a pie faced arsehole yesterday if that helps, I pointed out that may be a tad harsh as he had lost both his parents this year to which he replied, ' So what , I lost my parents, you will probably lose yours in the next ten years, fuck him' Not one to sit on the fence Mr OVB senior

Genuinely nice guy is Steve Bruce. Total aside to whether anyone thinks he is a good, bad or indifferent manager obviously.

As for Tony... I just can't believe the mess and just hope he listens to the offer or offers.

If he - as I've said before - genuinely thinks he can get his money back, OR even worse, if he thinks he can get a minority investor, then I really will despair.

Who in their right minds would put in money for a 30% stake to a guy like this? Madness.

Genuinely nice guy is Steve Bruce. Total aside to whether anyone thinks he is a good, bad or indifferent manager obviously.

As for Tony... I just can't believe the mess and just hope he listens to the offer or offers.

If he - as I've said before - genuinely thinks he can get his money back, OR even worse, if he thinks he can get a minority investor, then I really will despair.

Who in their right minds would put in money for a 30% stake to a guy like this? Madness.

There is another way of looking at this. When Lerner sold the club was in a huge mess, financially, organisationally, on the field and everything else. Xia was the only buyer on the horizon who remotely came into the "good guy" category; the other chancers like Adams&Co would have wrecked the club there and then. They wouldn't have had a hope of sorting things out.

Since Xia came, there has been a radical sort out of how the club is run, losses have been cut by a huge amount (even though they're still too high), and we have just had the best season for a long time. The club is far less of a mess, overall.

We currently have a financial problem, how deep we don't know. We don't know if Xia has hit the bottom of the barrel, or whether it's just difficulty in moving money out of China. Whatever, the idea that he hasn't been putting money into the club is plain delusion; he has to have, there's no other way we could have serviced our debts.

Reality time. As when Lerner sold, there is no obvious hero riding to the rescue. The chancers are lining up again, and they wouldn't be good news. In fact they'd be extremely bad news. So what should Xia do?

Only realistic move is to get some money in, either by solving his own problems if he can, loans if his problems are only short term, or investment in the club, either by finding a partner or selling.

It doesn't really matter which so long as it works, but as I've indicated there are problems with selling. Me, I've no problem with Xia staying if he can do that and sort things out on a sustainable basis.

I agree with some of that but we aren't really sorted financially and at least Randy had fiance to bail us out. He never questioned pitch relaying etc and didn't outsource every department.

Best season in a long time because our expectations are now lowered? We are in a lower division. We were loaded with loans and bought same as under Randy d players for high fees and no sell on value.

A lot of good and necessary investment was made by Randy. All marred by how it ended. Some great gestures as well like free travel etc.

From Xia? Bullshit and tweets. No investment apart from a refurb of corporate (that this lot really worked hard at ruining btw). No gestures.

Having to lay off staff again now Randy bankrolled even when he was told we needed to cut down on staff (bit silly I'd agree)

Can't even pay our PAYE.

I don't see the positives mates. And that's not waxing lyrical over Randy's time. He messed up a great start. At the end the general came over and at Randy's request met up with me to thank me for my counsel over the years.

If only they'd listened. And what I was saying wasn't rocket science either. Just common sense and football knowledge that a lot of us have

I think Xia came in for profit. I know Randy didn't. Good job as well. He lost £240m lol

I think in the beginning Xia's motivations were business orientated as he states in this article “I believe Aston Villa will return to the Premier League soon, at most within two years. We will be able to tap the global market in sectors of leisure, healthcare, food and drink, by starting with better engagement with the Villa fans worldwide.”

http://www.scmp.com/business/compan...ner-tony-xia-sets-his-sights-hollywood-studio

I also think that he fell in love with it all because the way he celebrated at games etc did seem genuine. It's a combination of the situation in China along with missing out on promotion that has sunk it. It's quite mad to think about how much was riding on that one game of football and how different our reality would be now had we won.

Last edited:
Yes bikini, we knew the play off final was a huge game, but starting to think it's a watershed moment in the club's history now.
It also sheds light on how much Tony gambled on it, everything was skewered toward a top flight return within 2 years. Now the owner has to show the money if he can or sell, This club is bigger than him and this is not a game of poker.

As per the other thread with all the parachute money we've had and player sales along with huge wage cuts the numbers don't stack, well they do in terms of Xia not putting money in and possibly taking some out

Using Cartesian epistemological method, I know six things with certainty:

1 I exist (cogito ergo sum)

2 I am not a brain in a vat.

3 We couldn't afford to pay our tax and meet our liabilities in May.

4 We sourced some short term finance to solve that problem

5 Our former CEO is now suing the club

6 Brian Little walks on water

Is there anything else we know with certainty or is it all still ITK bloodbath journalism?

I think in the beginning Xia's motivations were business orientated as he states in this article “I believe Aston Villa will return to the Premier League soon, at most within two years. We will be able to tap the global market in sectors of leisure, healthcare, food and drink, by starting with better engagement with the Villa fans worldwide.”

I’m all for an owner buying a club for business reasons, if the club is sustainable and makes a profit we exist and reinvest. As for the 2nd bit, that looks like all the rhetoric spouted on the Recon group website. Talks about all these wonderful industries and ideas but not a lot substance behind it.

I agree with some of that but we aren't really sorted financially and at least Randy had fiance to bail us out. He never questioned pitch relaying etc and didn't outsource every department.

Best season in a long time because our expectations are now lowered? We are in a lower division. We were loaded with loans and bought same as under Randy d players for high fees and no sell on value.

A lot of good and necessary investment was made by Randy. All marred by how it ended. Some great gestures as well like free travel etc.

From Xia? Bullshit and tweets. No investment apart from a refurb of corporate (that this lot really worked hard at ruining btw). No gestures.

Having to lay off staff again now Randy bankrolled even when he was told we needed to cut down on staff (bit silly I'd agree)

Can't even pay our PAYE.

I don't see the positives mates. And that's not waxing lyrical over Randy's time. He messed up a great start. At the end the general came over and at Randy's request met up with me to thank me for my counsel over the years.

If only they'd listened. And what I was saying wasn't rocket science either. Just common sense and football knowledge that a lot of us have

Best season for a long time because of the sheer positivity about the place, from fans through to players. And no it's not lower expectations. We are where we are, and we almost made promotion in a very diffiicult league. Frustrations yes, but the underlying vibes are good. One example; me a Bruce doubter willing to back him for another season.

Don't get the Randy was good and Xia is bad. You only need to look at the figures to realise the massive task any new owner would have had after Randy. I think Xia wants to run a successful Villa. Just hope he succeeds!

How did we end up in this fucking mess, Oh how did we not end up with a rich fucking Arab who could throw billions of pounds and an airline as our main sponsor.

Too early to start praying?

I know one thing , Ellis looks like the best owner of all time , anywhere compared to what has followed - and that tells you everything you need to know !

I know one thing , Ellis looks like the best owner of all time , anywhere compared to what has followed - and that tells you everything you need to know !

Shocking, isn't it! Hail Doug!

If Lerner had put somebody who knew something about football and running a football club in charge it could all have turned out different.