Tony Xia Thread | Page 42 | Vital Football

Tony Xia Thread

I agree with McP.

We sailed close to the wind with FFP last time with an £83m debt over the previous 3 years. The next accounts will only allow £61m debt over the previous 3 years.

This has nothing to do with overall debt I believe and unless Randy wrote off his loans to us, we still owe him big time.

I think this is the £40m savings we have to make - reduction of debt (£23m) plus the reduction in parachute money (£18m). Simples

I don't think that matters. Lerner decided to buy a football club, and then decided to bleed it dry. He knew what he was getting into when he bought a EPL club. This one may not take a huge hit does that make Lerner better or just a lousy businessman? Lets not forget we are still suffering from the crazy way Lerner ran, or didn't run more appropriately, the club. We need to get out of this high wage long contract ethos the club has got from Lerner's disastrous stewardship of the club. Is Xia the answer? I don't know, but I do know whos fault it is we are in the Championship and Xia is the owner, and that is Lerner.

Last edited:
I see the journalists are now more guessing what's going on rather than giving us some facts although that's nothing new and as it's all gone very quiet with the takeover talk I hope that's actually a good sign that something may be happening behind closed doors?

Never a dull day down at the Villa.

Merlin it's bollocks. It's the £40mil FFP hole news rehashed, and added to a little for clickbait.

It's nothing we didn't already know so don't add to panic or concerns as those figures (despite being initially inflated) are wrong owing to departures, Hutton's pay cut, the new Shirt Sponsor for example.

The fact is we have a circa 40mil FFP hole that needs to be dealt with one way or another. Transfers are the easiest way of doing that, but they aren't the only way of doing that so any claims of 'under more pressure' to sell than when the news first broke is clickbait.

It's the same story with an angle to rehash the same information. We're not another xmillion in the shit now, the hole we are in has already shrunk.

The Telegraph report is cr*p. The figures they are using a year behind. The £61m wage bill was from 2016-2017; last year's was £39. They're correct that with the players out of contract this summer going then the wage bill has shrunk by around £14m (less what Hutton will be getting as a result of his new contract). So as it stands at the moment it's about £26m, not the £45m they report, so they're about £19m out.

Don't get the comments about what Xia has put into the club. Apart from the money spent on buying it, he's obviously put in money to cover the debt. However, because of FFP there's a limit to how much he can actually put in, something which would apply to any Villa owner. Comparisons with Lerner are irrelevant.

On a long term basis the club can lose £13m a year, which is thus the maximum an owner can put in (in the Championship). It's obviously better if we can break even.

Oh to properly attribute that report Mike its the Daily Telegraph
If it hadn't have been clickbait I might have said that myself (but cheers)- they didn't deserve it! lol Was repeated almost word for word last night the same minute by the Mirror as well.

I've got it pencilled in for later.

Interestingly it is now reported That he has made more shares available to purchase the day before the play-off final. Apparently he is looking into investment from another Chinese person or group.

Well there'd certainly be a phoenix club formed if red bull come on and change our name and colours.