Time for a new manager? | Page 40 | Vital Football

Time for a new manager?

No to Allardyce for me. Seen enough shit football these past ten years. If I'm honest, I have no idea who we will employ next or how soon.

Would love to think we can find someone who can get the balance between flair and function right and produce winning performances rather than grind out results.

I reckon if we change manager the next one will be an someone like Nunes at Wolves . Thats if the reported links with Mendes are correct.

Who is manager of Porto at the moment ?

Sérgio Conceição. But he won the league there last season so I doubt he's going anywhere.

Bruce is a poor version of Allardyce and Pullis because they are far better organised and they ensure their teams display far more athleticism.

Although Sam is out of a job I don't know if his ego would allow him to drop into the championship?

He will manage anywhere if the money is right.

Have already said cannot see us getting a superstar manager to work in the championship. Others on here may know more about the good managers in clubs abroad if I had to choose right now would go for Bilic or Smith if a newbie would rather have Terry than Henry all week long. Doubt if will happen until October break,think the new owners will give him a shot with the new transfers first. Not that they will stop us conceding unless Bolasie is one hell of a CB.

The problem for me with Brendan is that there is a twitter account called Delusional Brendan and it's really hard to take him seriously :ROFLMAO:

He probably would be the best option available, realistically he has nothing left to achieve in Scotland so I do think he would come to us if we made an offer and guaranteed signings and backing within reason. The only thing he can really do is gun for the Europa League but without his key striker he probably knows he has another season to wait before achieving anything in Europe is possible.

Rodgers has one other thing to his name too and thats that he has been in this league and got a team out of it.

There are twitter rumours that Paulo Fonseca, a Mendes client maybe on the list of replacements.

Last edited:
There are twitter rumours that Daniel Fonseca, a Mendes client maybe on the list of replacements.

Got him confused with Daniel Farke, bit of an unpleasant few minutes for me there Fulford!

In my little dreamworld I’ll throw the Monaco manager in the mixer too, Leonardo jardim.

Last edited:
Rogers is a very good option, probably the best safe option.

I’ve never warmed to him but he’s big and ugly enough to handle the Villa. The amount of pressure he’s had at Liverpool and a club like Celtic must weather you.

Amazing how many people break after managing Villa, I can’t recall too many managers going onto to anything bigger or more successful after.

Have no idea if the plan is to keep Bruce or not but gentlemen, our new owners are seriously wealthy individuals who will not shy away from paying for a significant manager - if that is their intention.

I think we can rule out Dean Smith personally.

The "hard sell" to any prospective new appointment will involve competing in the upper echelons of the Prem and challenging in Europe. I therefore think that Eden's and Sawaris' will get whoever they want, whenever they are good and ready. Money talks after all.

The owner's are seriously ambitious, thank goodness. I doubt if they see Bruce as the sort of manager who fits in with that ambition, although to be fair to them I think they've genuinely given him a chance to see what he can do. So a replacement was always on the cards, and maybe after this week they'll see no point in hanging around. They might hang fire if they can't wrap up a new manager within a reasonable timeframe.

They've said they expect ups and downs, which is realistic. But if Bruce has a defensive problem to an extent of his own making and has lost half the squad as well, it's a bit more than just a down.

I saw Claudio Rainieri on goals on Sunday doing punditry, has a statistic of winning 104 out of 208 premier league games... if he can win the league with Leicester, I'm sure he could do something with us. I'm too lazy to wiki him to see if he's currently employed. Still dabbling in the "old experienced" mode.... but at least a title winning experienced manager.

I don’t think the owners will sack him yet. Maybe before Christmas but they haven’t been here long, the CEO has been here about 2 days I don’t think they will jump into any rash decisions which unfortunately 6 games into the season and 1 loss would probably be deemed too early.

My only hope is that last season we had a shocking start and the fans were starting to turn, but then we won about 5 games in a row and kick started our season and I hope this can happen again this year, however I have my serious doubts about the manager and the team (primarily the defence) which we are pretty much stuck with until January

Old experienced - Bruce , houllier, mcleish O'Neill
New breed- RDM, Sherwood, garde, Lambert, o'leary

Hmmm comparing old and new.... Old seems to win thru with our recent "successful" seasons. (When I say Success i mean didn't suck as much as other seasons) When we had old we wanted new, when we had new we needed old. I don't usually think that past managers coming back is a good idea, they were fired for a reason. But I would take john Gregory or Brian little back in a heartbeat.

But I would take john Gregory or Brian little back in a heartbeat.

I grew up with the likes of BFR, BL and JG, so as charming as it sounds you can’t go back there.

JG had a poor record at other clubs he managed in England, although in India he’s doing ok, but he’s probably got a lovely budget managing midland alliance level football.

How about Ranieri as DoF with Olof Melberg and Martin Laursen as the management team.
Both Melberg and Laursen have had success as managers in Sweden and Denmark.
If the pair aren't fancied, how about using their local knowledge to find some players.