Time for a new manager? | Page 38 | Vital Football

Time for a new manager?

Wolves and Cardiff may have been nothing, but we were a shambles.

We were definitely the more difficult club to turn around.

Prior to Bruce arriving we had gone 13 games without a win.....
In the fcuking Championship.....

Interesting stat (or not)

In 8 of the last 17 seasons (since the millenium) we would already have done enough to secure automatic promotion with 82 points.

We haven't conceded in the last 3 games but you know John terry will come straight back in and on form he shouldn't. Let's all wait and see.

And so he should. He is our captain, leader and is obviously a better central defender than Jedinak.

Having said that, and admittedly I haven't checked how things may pan out before Saturday but if we are still going into the weekend with a chance of automatic, however slim,then we need to play our strongest team which includes Terry. If it's finally gone then I would only play Terry in the Derby game then rest him for Milwall away. I wouldn't rest him for both games because he will have gone too long without a game in my opinion.

Only once in the last 10 years (that I cba to look at) was 82 pts enough for automatic
(unless you ignore the 2nd place team and base it on the third placed team but no one would be that daft)

Only once in the last 10 years (that I cba to look at) was 82 pts enough for automatic
(unless you ignore the 2nd place team and base it on the third placed team but no one would be that daft)

Dear god, are we seriously going to have this argument again?

If you can't understand the logic, then it's pointless..... :slap:

To explain my point of view one more time I have plucked out the following example -

2009/10 season -

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts

1 Newcastle 46 30 12 4 90 35 +55 102
2 WBA 46 26 13 7 89 48 +41 91
3 Notts Forest 46 22 13 11 65 40 +25 79
4 Cardiff 46 22 10 14 73 54 +19 76
5 Leicester 46 21 13 12 61 45 +16 76
6 Blackpool 46 19 13 14 74 58 +16 70

So you are actually saying that in that season you NEEDED 91 points to secure automatic promotion? That's clearly incorrect as 80 points would have done it.

I'm not ignoring the 2nd placed team, I'm basing it on the 2nd placed team! WBA could have got promoted even if they had 11 less points.

If you want to split hairs you could start to get really picky and say well if they had less points then other teams would have more points.. blah blah... but ok, lets assume 6 pf the points they lost we to Notts F, they still would have gone up with 86.

So 91 points was not NEEDED for auto promotion. it's what they got but it wasn't needed.

I wish those that advocate getting rid of Bruce would throw a few names into the ring, because nobody readily comes to mind that would come and would do a better job.
The season is not over, the bloke is still in with a great chance of getting us up and still people are talking about the next manager.

Do we have a better squad than Cardiff and Fulham ? If we do then i guess Bruce could have done better.

If we don`t then he has done great, personally think this squad should have come second and no excuses.

We rely on individual brilliance which is why we are a tad inconsistent in my opinion.

Team plan.....hmmm not so sure.

It was always going to be 2 points a game minimum for automatic promotion. We don't go up its failure and you can spin it anyway you want.

If the target was to go up and we don't then yes I have to admit that he has failed to hit the target.

Does that mean he automatically has to get fired though?? Not for me. It's just not that black and white.

Since those opening 7 games we've definitely been in auto promotion form, so we're improving, the players are happy, there's a team spirit I've not seen at Villa Park for 10 years, everyone seems to be pulling in the same direction for once.... I'd keep him and let the improvement continue. I'd be very very scared to rip it all up and start again, gambling on yet another Lambert/Sherwood type appointment.

Nothing is going to change any day soon while Steve Bruce & Co remain in charge in fact if anyone can tell me after 2 and a bit years what direction we are going in or even what type of football we are supposed to be playing then I'd be very grateful.

Me personally I think he has taken the club as far as he can and as far as his own managerial qualities allow him to.

Therefore in the best interests of Aston Villa plus to keep his own integrity and health, he should depart from Villa Park ASAP with a thank you for what you have done to stabilise now adios.

It's all very well calling for him to leave without having someone to replace him so here is a small list (below) I have put together for you to either laugh at, pick to pieces or say hey, that's not a bad shout!? Some of those named would be very unlikely but you never know in football and the persuasive powers our new owners and CEO may possess plus a lot of money can go a long way?

If you think he needs more time or is doing a decent job then fair enough - It's a free world but may I suggest you visit an optician soon:grinning:

Please add or dismiss as you see fit and please remember not to take it so seriously because whatever you think, it won't in any way change what is going to happen because that's the job for Nassef Sawiris & Wes Edens with Christian Purslow to tidy up both ends of the business.

Paulo Fonseca.
Brendon Rodgers.
John Terry.
Dean Smith.
Zeljko Buvac.
Arsen Wenger.
Claudio Ranieri.
Slaven Bilic.

Last edited: