Time for a new manager? | Page 41 | Vital Football

Time for a new manager?

if we actually wanted to get promoted then Allardyce would seem the obvious choice to replace what is in effect a poor mans Allardyce currently.
One yr contract big bonus on promotion and 1 yr extension - bonus on staying up - then move on.
Not sure if the 'villa engine' is configured for such practicality though.

Cannot see Allardyce at all. Nor would I want to either

Out the frying pan into the fire comes to mind. He was type needed when RDM went in same way Bruce was. I would imagine that if BFS was appointed at the time instead of Bruce we would still be having this debate at this point and wanting BFS replaced .

I see us needing someone to take us on to the next level in style and substance. This should be possible. Why should we have one and not the other. Wolves did.

If we get a new manager he will have to sort out the loans, both in and out, first.
To keep or return Moreira, Tuanzebe, Bolasie, El Ghazi and Abraham. What to do with McCormack and Tshibola, not to mention Gardner, Clark, Sulieman, Lyden and Steer.
Then there is what is laughingly called the first team squad.
A huge job.
That is why, if Bruce is to be replaced, it will best be done by the end of October, so the new man can have time to assess whats at the club, that will give him a chance to start putting things in order in January.
In the meantime the owners should start trawling for a new manager, even if it is just in case.

I was a big supporter of bringing Bruce in, I wanted him before we got Di Matteo because I felt we needed an old head to stop back-to-back relegations and I do feel that he did save us from that when he (belatedly) arrived.

HOWEVER, I’ve found it very hard to forgive him for how set us up in that play-off final. I’ve always been of the opinion that football is not about ‘entertainment’ - it’s a sport and therefore a results business. Villa win, I’m happy regardless of the performance; Villa lose, I’m gutted regardless of the performance. I don’t believe in ‘lucky’ wins or ‘unlucky’ defeats - the result is right 99.9% of the time. I felt we were performing below ourselves last season but could overlook that as we tended to get results - though even after victories I questioned whether we needed to make it so difficult for ourselves.

Now that Bruce seems to have lost the knack of snatching a win it is hard to make a case to support him. The state of our defence is shocking but despite that, with no Newcastle or Wolves around to walk away with the division, this squad should go up automatically. I don’t believe Bruce will have the ambition to allow them to do that.

The problem is - who do you bring in? Henry or Terry? It’s a no from me. The job is too big to gamble on a big name / ego with no experience. Big Sam? Don’t see what he offers over Bruce. For me it leaves a Dean Smith or Chris Wilder who have shown massive potential but have been nowhere near a club with the pressures / expectations that a Villa manager has to deal with. Or you sell a ‘project’ to Brendan Rodgers who, despite being an utter bell-end (IMO), has been there and done it in this division and has experience at clubs with expectations. Could he be tempted from his cushy number in Scotland to the second tier - I’m not so sure.

I suspect Bruce will get time for his signings to play. I also suspect his neglect of the defence coupled with his lack of ambition in matches will see him gone by Christmas.

Can't see Fonseca leaving a Champions League team for a Championship team.

To be fair neither can I but maybe he's unhappy and would like a change? One way or the other we will find out soon if SB is staying or going?

However, with the wealth and ambitions of these two new owners, I personally can't see any new manager just being a like for like replacement?

I don’t believe in ‘lucky’ wins or ‘unlucky’ defeats - the result is right 99.9% of the time. I felt we were performing below ourselves last season but could overlook that as we tended to get results
Slight contradiction there McGrath and I am firmly in the other camp - good football will lead to more good results.

Now the style of that football can be defensive (counter attacking) or offensive, (control of the ball). Both require speed of thought, effort and some skill. I believe we have enough of the skill levels within the team, but no speed of thought. When we did play that way last season, we had some great results. We were lucky to get results on several other occasions last year and against Yeovil, Brentford (ultimately) and Wigan those season.

In other words, you reap what you sow.

I was a big supporter of bringing Bruce in, I wanted him before we got Di Matteo because I felt we needed an old head to stop back-to-back relegations and I do feel that he did save us from that when he (belatedly) arrived.

HOWEVER, I’ve found it very hard to forgive him for how set us up in that play-off final. I’ve always been of the opinion that football is not about ‘entertainment’ - it’s a sport and therefore a results business. Villa win, I’m happy regardless of the performance; Villa lose, I’m gutted regardless of the performance. I don’t believe in ‘lucky’ wins or ‘unlucky’ defeats - the result is right 99.9% of the time. I felt we were performing below ourselves last season but could overlook that as we tended to get results - though even after victories I questioned whether we needed to make it so difficult for ourselves.

Now that Bruce seems to have lost the knack of snatching a win it is hard to make a case to support him. The state of our defence is shocking but despite that, with no Newcastle or Wolves around to walk away with the division, this squad should go up automatically. I don’t believe Bruce will have the ambition to allow them to do that.

The problem is - who do you bring in? Henry or Terry? It’s a no from me. The job is too big to gamble on a big name / ego with no experience. Big Sam? Don’t see what he offers over Bruce. For me it leaves a Dean Smith or Chris Wilder who have shown massive potential but have been nowhere near a club with the pressures / expectations that a Villa manager has to deal with. Or you sell a ‘project’ to Brendan Rodgers who, despite being an utter bell-end (IMO), has been there and done it in this division and has experience at clubs with expectations. Could he be tempted from his cushy number in Scotland to the second tier - I’m not so sure.

I suspect Bruce will get time for his signings to play. I also suspect his neglect of the defence coupled with his lack of ambition in matches will see him gone by Christmas.

A good read is a MOMS article entitled "A long read".
It makes a good point about the type of manager we really need.

Almost any type of manager should do. Most managers can do the basics, like see the defence is properly organised. The reason we (and others) find it difficult against almost any team in the Championship is that a well organised defence is a given.

Last season it was pretty obviously Terry organising the defence. Our manager and coaches don't have a clue. On almost any area of the pitch our performances are lacking and we only get anything because a lot of our players are actually quite good.

Time to face the truth. New manager, period.

Hard to believe Ellis sacked big Rpn for finishing 2nd to Man U and winning the league cup In three seasons.
The games about players always has been. Brazil 70. Holland 74 not been bettered with Pele and Cruyff running the games on the pitch.

With all these subs on the bench the managers think they win the games from the touch line.

If Brice goes it’s a fair chance for Henry to start , we’re not at the top of the greed league. We’re in the library league. You loan one then you take him back and get another one.Maybe Henry has a brain and is a good coach.
It’s not easy , ban loans and chamge the shirts

I'm struggling over who we could bring in (if it happens).

Allardyce - whilst not pretty football you fancy would be more productive than Bruce and is proven at this level. I could only see him as a short term appointment and most of what I read is the fans wanting a progressive manager playing an attacking style, which is not Big Sam so I doubt he'd be very popular.

Smith/Wilder - both play attacking football but lack big club experience. I think the new owners will want a bigger more glamorous name if the Henry rumours were true.

Henry/Terry - Big names but no managerial experience, too risky IMO. The Zidane's and Guardiola's of this world started managing at youth team level before stepping up, which must have stood them in good stead.

Moyes/Pardew/Any other manager of that ilk - Please god no.

Oscar Garcia - I've seen his name mentioned on a few sites but he hasn't done enough for me and his record does not inspire me as the person to take us to the next level.

Jorge Mendes clients - Yes Wolves got a good one in Nuno but they also got Jota, Cavilero, Neves and we got Moriera and El Ghazi (I'm not convinced yet as he doesn't help the defence, which is needed in modern football). so no guarantees there.

Laursen/Mellberg - Does anyone know what styles of football they play? How successful have they been so far? If they play a good attacking stye of football and have had reasonable success I'd taken either one of them in a heartbeat! That may be largely based on sentiment but they would certainly get a lot of support!

Can't think of anyone else.........

Can't see Fonseca leaving a Champions League team for a Championship team.

Yet people can see Rogers leaving Celtic for Villa. Aren't Celtic a champions league team for a couple of matches each season?
There are a handful of teams in the champions league with any chance of winning it and he's at a club with no chance, just like Rodgers.The rest are canon fodder.
I had to google him, by the way, to see who Fonseca was.
Sounds Foreign, is Portuguese which is the current flavour of the month and we are in the situation where anyone is better than Stevie boy,

Yet people can see Rogers leaving Celtic for Villa. Aren't Celtic a champions league team for a couple of matches each season?
There are a handful of teams in the champions league with any chance of winning it and he's at a club with no chance, just like Rodgers.The rest are canon fodder.
I had to google him, by the way, to see who Fonseca was.
Sounds Foreign, is Portuguese which is the current flavour of the month and we are in the situation where anyone is better than Stevie boy,

I was referring to this season. Celtic are not in the Champions League. Shakhtar are in Man City's group.

Then again, who knows the pull of the new owners?