Time for a new manager?

Our form since 30th December -

Played 19
Won 13
Drew 2
Lost 4

41 points from a possible 57.

Not too shabby really.

Fair points. But, having said that, I’ve been stuck in the Vital Youth Team for a long while now! When am I going to get my chance in the first team? :grinning:
PMSL drop me a PM if you know how and I can add to my list for JF when he's less packed.

Hmm some very good posts on Bruce there given me food for thought do not rate his tactical skills very highly, but am honest enough to say would not know who to replace him with either. Still think Rowett is a good manager not had a lot of resources to work with at Derby but has got them into contention for the play offs at least but whatever happens Bruce has at least made us a proper football club again.

Played 19
Won 13
Drew 2
Lost 4

Not too shabby really.

Fair point. Usually reckon one needs about 2 points per game average to have an almost certain chance of an automatic promotion place. Over 19 games that would 38 points and we've exceeded that.

Problem was the first half of the season. So now after 43 games we're on 79 points, 1.84 points per game, just not quite there. The first 24 games we averaged 1.58 points per game, way too low.

If we stay down we have to hit the ground running next season. And do better overall; with Baggies, Stoke and Southampton to compete against it will be tough.

trouble is over the same 19 games
fulham haven't lost a single game and have 47 pts
wolves have 40
even Millwall and Cardiff have 39 and 36 pts but have played fewer games in that period.

table says we're 4th best which really is fairly typical for Bruce - upper end of championship and a crack at the playoffs.
Trouble is this season has the sense of shit or bust about it if MrX is potless.

Would look to improve the squad and management if promoted tbh.
Maybe stick if another season of championship dross if this season is a fail again
ho hum

In time maybe we will come to realise that Steve Bruce was the best person to turn the tide of years of miss management, I hope so and have posted before as wanting to be proved so wrong. Steve Bruce aside I am genuinely excited by the owner and his team, some truly top people in top places now, promotion would accelerate that but we really are moving forward and all the talk of ending up like Leeds or Sheffield weds is folly, they are piss pot clubs who are and have been miss managed, and continue to be so.

If we don't go up I would be more than happy to give him another shot next season.

I have been guilty myself of knee-jerk reactions to bad results, but stats don't lie, and as Deano has provided above, his record since December has been pretty good. I think he has slowly improved things, and we can count ourselves a bit unlucky not to be in the top 2, because of the ridiculous form of other teams, not to mention injuries to key players like Kodjia.

All in all, even though we're in the Championship, we're in a good place right now, and to have to overhaul it all again is just playing with fire.

Just look at the state of Sunderland and other clubs. Whether we go up or not, we're doing fine, let's build on it.

Played 19
Won 13
Drew 2
Lost 4

Not too shabby really.

Splitting the season so far into halves of 22 games (I know one game is counted twice):

First 22 = 37pts
Second 22 = 42pts

Neither shabby, but both are playoff positions. Are the people that count thinking that is good enough? I don't know but my guess is they will be disappointed.

Wyness likes continuity, think he also likes Bruce. Wouldn't put my house on either option. I certainly wouldn't be pushing him unless we had a fat Spanish waiter type in the offing - seeing as that is a little unlikely, I tend to think he'll stay for another year.

If we don't go up I would be more than happy to give him another shot next season.

It's a fair point...yes he's had a while, but in terms of where we were to where we are now he's had an hour and had a positive effect.

Give him 2 hours and see if the football can become what we want with further improvement.

Tired and getting a little tipsy now as I succumbed it's been a long week.

They say you need to break a few eggs to make an ommlette (I don't make many I can't spell it). Before Bruce the eggs weren't even reaching the bowl. The eggs are now reaching the bowl. Give him time get a whisk.

I'm getting hungry.

Splitting the season so far into halves of 22 games (I know one game is counted twice):

First 22 = 37pts
Second 22 = 42pts

Neither shabby, but both are playoff positions. Are the people that count thinking that is good enough? I don't know but my guess is they will be disappointed.

Wyness likes continuity, think he also likes Bruce. Wouldn't put my house on either option. I certainly wouldn't be pushing him unless we had a fat Spanish waiter type in the offing - seeing as that is a little unlikely, I tend to think he'll stay for another year.

Depends how you split the season though.

I mentioned the other day, we got 7 points from our first 7 games! Thats relegation form.

Since then we've been in auto promotion form since October.

For me thats enough to give Bruce another year. Those first 7 games he didn't have Grealish, Kodjia, Snodgrass, Jedinak.... even if you dislike Bruce and want him gone you have to admit any team starting a season without 4 of their 6 best players is going to suffer?

Played 19
Won 13
Drew 2
Lost 4

Not too shabby really.

Played 20
Won 14
Drew 2
Lost 4
Scored 39
Conceeded 16 (including 11 clean sheets. 11 clean sheets in 20 games!!!)

44 points from 60.... and people still want Bruce gone?

Bruce all the way, people have so short memories of where the club was when he took over. I think another season in the Championship would do the club better than promotion to the Premiership.
Still loads of deadwood to shed at the end of this season and maybe just maybe the last parachute payment and a few Chinese Yuan will see Bruce bring in the bit more quality into the squad.

2 goals a game on average over that spell as well , yet according to a certain poster in another thread , because of Bruce we play with the shackles on .

Think the issue is partly that people have looked at the way Wolves and Fulham have played and thought " that's what we want, results and dominant performances". We are a bigger club than both with greater resources. The problem is because of our status, we have higher expectations. I also think that the momentum and confidence you gain from being dominant can help give you a decent start in the Prem.

If we don't win the playoffs, next season will see a lot of change personel wise. Coming to the conclusion that there is no obvious alternative to SB, despite question marks about his tactics/motivation in key games, so he probably should get a shot at producing that dominant team. In that respect, keeping Jack Grealish for another season would be imperitive IMO.

We are where we deserve to be, as for Bruce if we don't get promoted I think he will resign as he will have failed after 2 years in charge. Wolves and Cardiff were nothing 18 months ago, as were we. We haven't conceded in the last 3 games but you know John terry will come straight back in and on form he shouldn't. Let's all wait and see.

Wolves and Cardiff may have been nothing, but we were a shambles.

We were definitely the more difficult club to turn around.