Time for a new manager? | Page 36 | Vital Football

Time for a new manager?

Many factors come into play, but the deadwood is the biggest issue. McCormack, Gabby, Richards, Tishoba and Hogan have been really bad buys.

For me he's got to stay regardless of what division we're in. Our most important consideration next year is probably going to be FFP, so nobody is going to be able to come in and shape the squad to their liking. He also knows who needs to go, which I think is an underrated attribute sometimes! His experience will be a bonus with money being so tight.

If we are still in the chumps it will be mainly a new side made up of the kids plus a few from this season.
To me it should be new team new manager as SB has failed to utilise those kids at his disposal this season.
However his experience of play offs will definitely give us a big advantage.

Really don’t get this obsession with “using the kids.” They have little or no experience, and are typically not yet physically developed. I don’t spend a lot of time studying our opponents in the division, but other than the kid Sessegnon at Fulham can anyone name a team in the top four with a bunch of youth team products spearheading their season? Grealish is now 22, is considered an exceptional talent, yet only now is he starting to show some consistency. So many examples of youth players who were supposed to be the next big thing who disappear from the game or into lower league football..... they need to be brought through very slowly and at a time when they’re physically and mentally mature enough.

Brentford/Bris C are on the youthful side of life. Difference is though you have to throw the youth in and get them games as it's the only way they learn and develop. I'm sure Fulham are youthful in average age, Wolves (but they're obviously different).

Our cardinal sin has always been never getting them games. Keinan Davis is probably the best we've handled as a he got a good run, then got plenty of training working on flaws in his game that were identified from the matches he played - but that was hardly through choice.

You also don't want kids sitting in the Under 23's working their ass off and getting attention yet the closest they get is sniffing the bench on occasions as it demoralises the whole youth system if there isn't a pathway on merit.

But on the proviso you play well you get 3 games, then you're out until you've clocked your flaws - then rinse and repeat.

Next season if things go bang we'll have to lean on the youth with key experience owing to spending - that's why it was important this year the main group of 4-6 standing out probably got at least 10 showings each even if just 20/30 minutes at the end of games and anything more was a bonus.

I'm probably forgetting somebody, but without checking only Green/Davis have probably hit those minute markers. 2-3 more getting 45-180 mins tops? Would they have all made it if they got 250 mins each as a minimum no, it don't work that way - but we'd have a better chance of 4 being ready if things go tits up.

Changing manager after manager has not done much for the club and lots of clubs do it because they think changing the manager is going to make the shit players into Messi and Rondido.
I would rather stick with Bruce even if we went up and came down or for that matter failed go up.

Bruce has a proven record in the Championship, Imagine we got promoted and because of a lack of premiership quality we struggled and at Christmas we were bottom three.

1. Sack Bruce
2. Put one of the back room team in charge
3. Employ a journeyman manager (Hughes/Pardew)

or

4. Stick with Bruce as he will be best equipped to bring the club back up.

For me personally its 4 every day of the week, learn the lesson from Westbromich Tallibhan, sacked the manager brought in Pardope and look where it got them. I would like to see the club offer Bruce a 6 year contract, he has never managed a club as big as Villa before and I honestly think he is currently the best manager for Villa and the best to keep the club steady for the foreseeable future. I don't want to go back to the Lerner knee jerk reaction mode of poor run and your history.

After the last 6 years of fucking turmoil lets stop take a breath, become less fickle and just enjoy Villa winning games.

I don't want anybody, player or manager, given a 6 year contract. We're still suffering over stupid contracts.

It's possible to pick holes in what Bruce has done since he's been here. It's a matter of judgement whether those holes are big enough to say he's not the person to take us forwards, or whether in the great scheme of things they're mere blips. Either way would not be unreasonable. I'm not sure us on the outside are in a position to make those judgements.

What I want is for the powers that be to sit down and think long and hard about the way forwards, and how we're going to do it. Next year is not going to be easy. If we stay down, then we'll probably have Stoke, Baggies and maybe Southampton to deal with; none of these are a walk over. They're unlikely to implode, and should be good candidates for promotion. It's going to be harder than this year.

If we get promoted, then there's hardly a really weak team left in the PL, and it's not obvious that we have a team that has a good chance of staying up, even with new signings. We may have to plan on possible relegation and being in a good enough state to yo-yo back.

So that's the background that Wyness, Round and Xia have to decide on range of things, including the manager. I think we need a plan for the team. including what sort of team we want, what signings we need, who needs to go, and where the U23s fit in. Then and only then can they really decide what manager they need.

A lot of the work has hopefully been done. But I haven't the faintest what the outcome will be. Me, I think Bruce has not been good at managing the resources he's got and I do wonder if our coaching needs improving. Also, I think he hasn't developed a team which can succeed at a higher level. For those reasons I think there must be a big question mark over his position. But it's anybody's guess as to the answer.

Looking at our squad and, say Brighton’s, and you can’t help and think how are we not in the big league. I don’t have a massive grudge against Bruce but honestly with this kind of investment (and I’m not just talking about players bought) we should have killed this division. I know we can still go up - and should - but not reaching automatic promotion counts as a failure for me.

The whole place was rancid though. Losing atmosphere, players just picking up money and no connection with the fans. We could have gone the way of Sunderland quite easily.

Agree Tarzan . Bruce job was bigger , much bigger than just sorting the team out. He's started to turn the entire club around . Superb job done by him regardless of what happens at the end of this campaign .

We could have gone the way of Sunderland quite easily.

And we probably would have, had Randy and the others still owned the club.

I think the sale to Dr Tony was the difference there. Even if we'd kept di Matteo, we would have stayed in the Champ. He may or may not have finished higher than Bruce last season, and we may or may not have been in the top six this season. But selling to Tony and the introduction of the likes of Wyness (and maybe Round) are the reasons we never got deeper in the doo-doo imho.

Xia appointed the right people. The club's been radically re-organised. May not be perfect but I've a feeling we're at least safe from any major slump, even if we have some way to go.

Xia appointed the right people. The club's been radically re-organised. May not be perfect but I've a feeling we're at least safe from any major slump, even if we have some way to go.

And imho Bruce was right then and remains the best man for the job.

The other factor that is likely to destroy many of the names put forward is managing the fans expectations and the media scrutiny at a club the size of Villa. A few poor performances and I can already see the burial of the likes of Dean Smith. This may be wrong but it’s one hell of a gamble to take to abandon the progress made for a whim. Yes, the progress is slow but perhaps steady is all we can hope for at the present time.

The other factor that is likely to destroy many of the names put forward is managing the fans expectations and the media scrutiny at a club the size of Villa. A few poor performances and I can already see the burial of the likes of Dean Smith. This may be wrong but it’s one hell of a gamble to take to abandon the progress made for a whim. Yes, the progress is slow but perhaps steady is all we can hope for at the present time.

The idea that we should rip it all up and start again is madness at this point and was proven emphatically in our relegation.

Fully agree wurzel , my fear is bruce will walk if we don't go up. With everything he's had to deal with this past 12 months I can see him wanting some time off.

Bruce has done a wonderful job at Villa, and in trying personal and professional circumstances. It would be very low class to replace him any time soon.
Fantastic post. Do I like the football Bruce serves up no, should he be given the play offs to go up, sure he should. Let’s hope the players he has trusted show him he was right.

Brentford/Bris C are on the youthful side of life. Difference is though you have to throw the youth in and get them games as it's the only way they learn and develop. I'm sure Fulham are youthful in average age, Wolves (but they're obviously different).

Our cardinal sin has always been never getting them games. Keinan Davis is probably the best we've handled as a he got a good run, then got plenty of training working on flaws in his game that were identified from the matches he played - but that was hardly through choice.

You also don't want kids sitting in the Under 23's working their ass off and getting attention yet the closest they get is sniffing the bench on occasions as it demoralises the whole youth system if there isn't a pathway on merit.

But on the proviso you play well you get 3 games, then you're out until you've clocked your flaws - then rinse and repeat.

Next season if things go bang we'll have to lean on the youth with key experience owing to spending - that's why it was important this year the main group of 4-6 standing out probably got at least 10 showings each even if just 20/30 minutes at the end of games and anything more was a bonus.

I'm probably forgetting somebody, but without checking only Green/Davis have probably hit those minute markers. 2-3 more getting 45-180 mins tops? Would they have all made it if they got 250 mins each as a minimum no, it don't work that way - but we'd have a better chance of 4 being ready if things go tits up.
Fair points. But, having said that, I’ve been stuck in the Vital Youth Team for a long while now! When am I going to get my chance in the first team? :grinning: