Thommo | Page 2 | Vital Football

Thommo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess he has been entertaining a times but the lack of an idea what was going on in the league etc was a bit annoying if you're paid to be a summariser. Just the other week he was saying about Charlton going for the playoffs; I'm not necessarily expecting people know absolutely everything about every player in the division but a cursory look at the table occasionally seems like a bare minimum.

I think as a complement to Hortin someone with a bit more knowledge of L1 and maybe a bit more up to date in terms of football 'style' would be good (totally respect Thommo's career and knowledge of the game, but the commentary when I have listened seemed to turn into we should boot it more if we're passing out the back sometimes, which gets a bit tedious).

That said, I've not really enjoyed some of the other summarisers that much when they have been on.

I guess he has been entertaining a times but the lack of an idea what was going on in the league etc was a bit annoying if you're paid to be a summariser. Just the other week he was saying about Charlton going for the playoffs; I'm not necessarily expecting people know absolutely everything about every player in the division but a cursory look at the table occasionally seems like a bare minimum.

I think as a complement to Hortin someone with a bit more knowledge of L1 and maybe a bit more up to date in terms of football 'style' would be good (totally respect Thommo's career and knowledge of the game, but the commentary when I have listened seemed to turn into we should boot it more if we're passing out the back sometimes, which gets a bit tedious).

That said, I've not really enjoyed some of the other summarisers that much when they have been on.

I don't listen much to Radio Lincs as I'm not within FM range and I don't pay for iFollow, but I've never been impressed with Hone to be honest. His career as a pro ended about 25 years ago, so he's not really "up to date" either, and he wasn't really known as a cultured player. I also met him a few times and he didn't strike me as an intellectual, shall we say. I don't know Walker and haven't heard him commentate but comments from fans on here weren't especially favourable.

I don't listen much to Radio Lincs as I'm not within FM range and I don't pay for iFollow, but I've never been impressed with Hone to be honest. His career as a pro ended about 25 years ago, so he's not really "up to date" either, and he wasn't really known as a cultured player. I also met him a few times and he didn't strike me as an intellectual, shall we say. I don't know Walker and haven't heard him commentate but comments from fans on here weren't especially favourable.

Beck was a very cultured footballer - didn't say much about his management style!

I think Hone was a coach until relatively recently. Walker was ok he seems very well connected so suspect he will guest until he gets his next coaching job. They are no better/worse then Thommo.

Thommo is quite a capable and entertaining summarizer ~ but has been clearly winging it for some time... as he doesnt even bother watching the games he doesnt commentate on ('i heard he played well in midweek Michael') which you would think was a) not a too taxing a job now with ifollow and b) a prerequisite to being a co~commentator. Anyway, i wish him well.

I am firmly in the group of supporters that will miss Thommo and his knowledgeable commentary and his at times humorous delivery. I wish him well for his next venture.

As I understand it Thommo is not in the best of health at the mo.
We all know that he can take a joke or not but I wish him well in his future.

Last edited:

Hone at least seems enthusiastic about football as a game, something Thommo has struggled with it seems to me in the last couple of seasons..

jim walker would be good. Honey is always talking about the last 20 minutes, and too negative for me for our team, sorry Mark, you go on and on and on for me, and then we are on catch with Rob.
I think Michael and Thommo got a bit lost in commentary last game as well, through the whole game, pick it up boys, and all the very best Thommo, you will be sadly missed for me to, and were an excelent player over your playing days, take care and all the best healthwise.

Great player for us and very much a fixture in the team during my formative years watching The Imps.

Unfortunately divides opinion today as does everything in our society with the extremists and intolerant people who constantly moan and criticise but can't see they are part of the problem.

A happy retirement Thommo and I for one am sad to see you go.

I understand it's ill health that is leading to Thommo stepping down .A decent Manager and a great player. I liked Thommo as a pundit.he was a knowlegable and amusing. He made a comment that was construed as detrimental regarding the efforts to make Football inclusive to all. .Following some advise and guidance for Thommo to assist him from making any more similiar comments the show went on.I'm sure Thommo is capable of fighting his own battles still and doesn't need anyone flinging around comments regarding 'woke' or such like .

I understand it's ill health that is leading to Thommo stepping down .A decent Manager and a great player. I liked Thommo as a pundit.he was a knowlegable and amusing. He made a comment that was construed as detrimental regarding the efforts to make Football inclusive to all. .Following some advise and guidance for Thommo to assist him from making any more similiar comments the show went on.I'm sure Thommo is capable of fighting his own battles still and doesn't need anyone flinging around comments regarding 'woke' or such like .

I speak to Tommo once or twice a week and the reason Tommo’s last game is next Saturday against Crewe is not ill health. He was told by Radio Lincs last October/November, his services would not be required after this season due to some phrases and comments not being appropriate.

We all know Tommo is very quick witted and has some brilliant analogies. The final straw for Radio Lincs (or actually 1 person who rang in to complain) was early this season when Tommo said the oppositions centre forward was “built like John Wayne but goes to ground like Wayne Sleep”. He got a call a few days later from the Radio Lincs controller/manager saying they were suspending him again. (You might remember this happened last season too and that was a result of the same, 1 complaint, from the same person). This call came on the same day as Tommo had his first radiotherapy treatment for cancer and this was known to the caller but she still went ahead with the call. Tommo was missing for 2 or 3 games and was brought back but told he was too high risk for the BBC and his contract would not be renewed after this season.

Tommo has asked me to put the record straight to you all and thank you for your support and kindness through many years playing, managing, helping the club through tough times and summarising. He’s a fantastic guy, with a heart of gold and I’ll miss hearing him on the radio.

I speak to Tommo once or twice a week and the reason Tommo’s last game is next Saturday against Crewe is not ill health. He was told by Radio Lincs last October/November, his services would not be required after this season due to some phrases and comments not being appropriate.

We all know Tommo is very quick witted and has some brilliant analogies. The final straw for Radio Lincs (or actually 1 person who rang in to complain) was early this season when Tommo said the oppositions centre forward was “built like John Wayne but goes to ground like Wayne Sleep”. He got a call a few days later from the Radio Lincs controller/manager saying they were suspending him again. (You might remember this happened last season too and that was a result of the same, 1 complaint, from the same person). This call came on the same day as Tommo had his first radiotherapy treatment for cancer and this was known to the caller but she still went ahead with the call. Tommo was missing for 2 or 3 games and was brought back but told he was too high risk for the BBC and his contract would not be renewed after this season.

Tommo has asked me to put the record straight to you all and thank you for your support and kindness through many years playing, managing, helping the club through tough times and summarising. He’s a fantastic guy, with a heart of gold and I’ll miss hearing him on the radio.
Good to have a response from the horses mouth so to speak. Such a shame that we are in a world where one persons view usurps the majority. I for one will miss the knowledgable summarising and humour. Get well soon Thommo

Deary me.

Sorry state of affairs.

Thank you, Tommo.

Thanks for that Farmer appreciated. Regards to Tommo, I will miss the dry humour. 1 complaint and it ends like this.

Certainly lost me as a listener, why I pay a licence fee is beyond me.

Thanks for that Farmer appreciated. Regards to Tommo, I will miss the dry humour. 1 complaint and it ends like this.

Certainly lost me as a listener, why I pay a licence fee is beyond me.
How can a complaint from one person cause this. What Is the world coming too. The BBC radio Lincs should be ashamed of themselves. Grow up. I have certainly given up listening to BBC news.

Just about the saddest thing I have read for a long while. Not only Tommo's medical issues, but also that one woman can cause him to lose his job. I hope she somehow gets to read these comments and feels ashamed of herself. She won't of course - people like that never do.

I must have listened to 95% of Tommo's commentaries over the years and he has never said anything that even slightly offended me.

Hortin though....

If this is the case what a truly sad state of affairs.

I wish Thommo all the best with his treatment.

Unfortunately there is nothing we as fans who will miss his summarising can do about it generally. However I will be launching my own protest over it and I will now be boycotting anything to do with Radio Lincolnshire and if I watch on ifollow I will listen to the away commentary. Hopefully it gets out to enough fans who feel the same and more will follow suit.

All the best Thommo.

All of a sudden king of the reverse sarcasm Mr MaineRoad goes quiet.
You and your likes fucking grow a pair.

Absolute joke from the BBC. Won't be listening to their shit commentary in the future.

Best health and best wishes to Thommo for the future.

The complainant should be ashamed of themselves, truly pathetic and incredibly small minded.

BBC management who responded in the way they did - twice - arent fit to run the proverbial whelk stall.

All the best to Thommo and thanks for the last few years on R Lincs, your wit and insights will be greatly missed.

Just about the saddest thing I have read for a long while. Not only Tommo's medical issues, but also that one woman can cause him to lose his job. I hope she somehow gets to read these comments and feels ashamed of herself. She won't of course - people like that never do.

I must have listened to 95% of Tommo's commentaries over the years and he has never said anything that even slightly offended me.

Hortin though....
Where did it say it was a woman?

Status
Not open for further replies.