Thommo | Page 3 | Vital Football

Thommo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will miss Thommo's summaries. He's been around the club for so long through good times and bad. His references to past players and managers gave a great sense of him having always been there and you felt like he was one of us and loved the club as much as we do.
Love his dry sense of humour and analogies that may reflect another era. But that was my era and I loved it.
Thank goodness for BBC middle management standing up for the values of middle England. You can't accuse them of covering their asses and protecting their salary by taking a safe decision, can you? They obviously don't do audience research unless you count one phone call as a representative sample. Maybe it was a focus group to a avoid an individual having to take responsibility. 'No names no pack drill.'

Farmer Imp quoted 'she' in his post and as a double whammy stated that she also knew that Thommo was undergoing his first cancer treatment when she reported him.

Thommo being 'reported' makes it sound like he's actually done something wrong.
How long has this woman been on the Stasi payroll?

Well done Thommo, the one liners were great although a bit repetitive. Some memorable gems
‘ it’s a goal Michael’
‘I like a big un and a little un up top’
‘442’
‘ square balls get mangers the sack’
‘ handbags’
He will probably go out in a blaze of glory this weekend. Bingo Thommo for a full house

I speak to Tommo once or twice a week and the reason Tommo’s last game is next Saturday against Crewe is not ill health. He was told by Radio Lincs last October/November, his services would not be required after this season due to some phrases and comments not being appropriate.

We all know Tommo is very quick witted and has some brilliant analogies. The final straw for Radio Lincs (or actually 1 person who rang in to complain) was early this season when Tommo said the oppositions centre forward was “built like John Wayne but goes to ground like Wayne Sleep”. He got a call a few days later from the Radio Lincs controller/manager saying they were suspending him again. (You might remember this happened last season too and that was a result of the same, 1 complaint, from the same person). This call came on the same day as Tommo had his first radiotherapy treatment for cancer and this was known to the caller but she still went ahead with the call. Tommo was missing for 2 or 3 games and was brought back but told he was too high risk for the BBC and his contract would not be renewed after this season.

Tommo has asked me to put the record straight to you all and thank you for your support and kindness through many years playing, managing, helping the club through tough times and summarising. He’s a fantastic guy, with a heart of gold and I’ll miss hearing him on the radio.
Please convey my/our gratitude for his contribution and service in playing for, managing, and commentating on, the Imps over the years. It’s a real shame that the World has gone bonkers, and he is the latest casualty.

Thommo being 'reported' makes it sound like he's actually done something wrong.
How long has this woman been on the Stasi payroll?
Imagine what a miserable, dead-end, life the caller has had, or is having, to be so troubled by his comment - I do so hope it’s been miserable, and that Thommo’s departure does nothing to relieve that pain. Harsh, but fair.

Having heard a few of Thommo's "stories" particularly from the Murph era, I wish him the best of health and hope he now has the time and inclination to publish the book he always promised. Suspect a few names and places might have to be changed to protect the 'guilty' and pander to the PC brigade.

I always enjoyed Thommo's commentary. Not sure by the "forced out"suggestions. Some posts state ill health is an issue. He is 66 however, so he has done his bit as they say.Lets hope he enjoys his retirement.

I always enjoyed Thommo's commentary. Not sure by the "forced out"suggestions. Some posts state ill health is an issue. He is 66 however, so he has done his bit as they say.Lets hope he enjoys his retirement.
Have you or NottyImp not read Farmer Imps post at 8.10 pm yesterday ?

Seriously? I completely fail to understand how a comment like “built like John Wayne but goes to ground like Wayne Sleep” can be offensive to anyone. It’s a sport, it’s football, it’s a physical, contact sport. Thommo was making a point using an illustration which most normal-minded people with level-headed perception and understanding of the game (not to mention a sense of humour, which of course is not allowed in today’s society) will completely understand. Surely the person to be offended is Wayne Sleep - did the complainant ask him if he was? Thank goodness this wasn’t a criminal case as Thommo would have been hung drawn and quartered with little balance of natural justice. Shame on the BBC as well for not sticking up for him.
Thank you Thommo for all the joy you have given me over some 40 years, both as a player, manager and fan of the Imps. Have a great retirement mate and hopefully it won’t be the last we hear from you. If you do get around to publishing a book I for one would buy it. 👏👏

What a mistaka to makea!!!!

Attachments

• download (1).jpeg
    download (1).jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 2
  • download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    4.7 KB · Views: 2
Seriously? I completely fail to understand how a comment like “built like John Wayne but goes to ground like Wayne Sleep” can be offensive to anyone. It’s a sport, it’s football, it’s a physical, contact sport. Thommo was making a point using an illustration which most normal-minded people with level-headed perception and understanding of the game (not to mention a sense of humour, which of course is not allowed in today’s society) will completely understand. Surely the person to be offended is Wayne Sleep - did the complainant ask him if he was? Thank goodness this wasn’t a criminal case as Thommo would have been hung drawn and quartered with little balance of natural justice. Shame on the BBC as well for not sticking up for him.
Thank you Thommo for all the joy you have given me over some 40 years, both as a player, manager and fan of the Imps. Have a great retirement mate and hopefully it won’t be the last we hear from you. If you do get around to publishing a book I for one would buy it. 👏👏
Unfortunately it only takes one person to claim they are offended nowadays for peoples careers to be destroyed.

Well done Thommo, the one liners were great although a bit repetitive. Some memorable gems
‘ it’s a goal Michael’
‘I like a big un and a little un up top’
‘442’
‘ square balls get mangers the sack’
‘ handbags’
He will probably go out in a blaze of glory this weekend. Bingo Thommo for a full house
Most of us won't be listening to the radio on Saturday but I do hope he just let's rip.
"Michael this referee is a complete f#@king prick, and don't get me started on that c#@t that complained about me. I hope her tw@t shrivels up! Oh, and thanks to everyone that has helped and supported me over the years." That should finish the job well

Status
Not open for further replies.