The Tyrone Mings Thread | Page 102 | Vital Football

The Tyrone Mings Thread

It must be down to social media, and the constant, daily connection with the fans in good ways and bad. It must be burnout for athletes
I'd normally say keep away from Social media but even the commentator join in now .
Imagine the pressure Jack was under knowing whatever he did beaky would leave him out and play his chosen ones, but he kept on smiling and trying not to bite.
Which I must admit is some strong will

I think being active on social media is one of the stupidest things an athlete can do. Elite athletes are generally hypercritical of themselves and are very sensitive and self conscious when it comes to their ability. Social media surely cannot help this.

A lot of athletes are now talking about their mental health, this is a good thing, but ultimately you can't expect the world change and this is where you need to put your own interventions in place (with professional guidance) in order to make things better.

Don’t want to appear cynical or disbelieving but it does appear there is a bit of a flavour of the month thing going here. Biles, Stokes, Mings all coming within a few days.

I think Mrs M and her 23 years of diagnosing and treatment of MH may beg to differ on some of this. Not saying this is the case for all these but there is a line between life pressure , worry, nervousness, anxiety and proper mental illness. These things are perfectly natural and are not necessarily mental health but just a natural thing that everyone goes through and will go through. We have all been there with exams, job interviews or big life events. Many a time Mrs M is telling patients they are not suffering from MH illness but are just suffering from natural anxiety that anyone would in a situation. Of course there are ways of coping with anxiety and it’s not black and white in terms of levels but we need to be careful that we don’t label normal perfectly natural reactions to a situation as a serious MH issue problem .

Well , whatever the pressure Tyrone felt under , he coped with it pretty well performance wise , so fair play to him.

If he needed a sports psychologist then fine , lots of people use them nowadays , but needing to use one wouldn't be a mental health issue would it ?

Don’t want to appear cynical or disbelieving but it does appear there is a bit of a flavour of the month thing going here. Biles, Stokes, Mings all coming within a few days.

I think Mrs M and her 23 years of diagnosing and treatment of MH may beg to differ on some of this. Not saying this is the case for all these but there is a line between life pressure , worry, nervousness, anxiety and proper mental illness. These things are perfectly natural and are not necessarily mental health but just a natural thing that everyone goes through and will go through. We have all been there with exams, job interviews or big life events. Many a time Mrs M is telling patients they are not suffering from MH illness but are just suffering from natural anxiety that anyone would in a situation. Of course there are ways of coping with anxiety and it’s not black and white in terms of levels but we need to be careful that we don’t label normal perfectly natural reactions to a situation as a serious MH issue problem .

Spot on mate, much better wording that I used but the same thoughts.

Well , whatever the pressure Tyrone felt under , he coped with it pretty well performance wise , so fair play to him.

If he needed a sports psychologist then fine , lots of people use them nowadays , but needing to use one wouldn't be a mental health issue would it ?

Exactly. I am not saying any of these who have come out saying they have MH issues have or haven’t but just that there needs to be caution over labelling it when it isn’t or using it to describe a different thing.

Anxiety is a mental health and can be a mental health thing , something the body needs to cope with in situations. It’s perfectly normal.

Last edited:
There's bound to be a massive debate about this - the old guard moaning about snowflakes and mental health suddenly being 'trendy', while the wokes insist its unprecedented pressure and saluting their courage for being anxious. It's enough to make me feel depressed

Peaty the swimmer is the latest. Dont want to sound harsh but we were always told if you cant stand the heat in the kitchen get out.
This will sound pathetic but I gave up playing Darts 3 or 4 nights a week because I'd stopped enjoying it. I put so much pressure on myself to play the perfect game I couldn't let the dart go. So I jacked it in that was 30 years ago and I've never played in a competitive game since.
I can still play I have a board in the conservatory and could pick my darts up now and stick 3 in the 20 or even the 25.
Pressure gets to us all it's how you handle it or don't as the case may be.
Big difference between that and real mental health issues

Top level sport = pressure and of course you get anxious and some have sleepless nights. No different to pressure at work for many people. Different, as others have said, to mental illness/mental health.

That stuff is mental health though. That's not to say that it's mental *illness*, which is diagnosable conditions like depression, schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder etc.

In the same way that I'm a bit flabby but I'm physically well, day to day stresses and anxiety do impact on people's well-being, even if they're not at the stage of needing professional intervention. You can get yourself mentally well with hard work, just as you can get yourself fit by doing exercise and in the same way, you can let that stuff slide and find yourself with no resilience or mental "fitness" with which to deal with those day to day mental obstacles.

I think being active on social media is one of the stupidest things an athlete can do. Elite athletes are generally hypercritical of themselves and are very sensitive and self conscious when it comes to their ability. Social media surely cannot help this.

Absolutely bang on point, and not just for top athletes, but yes, 100% agree they will already be over thinking, analysing and being told by coaches weaknesses that need to be worked on, etc etc. Then you go onto those places and see how vile people can be, even on forums - we aren't perfect - but especially the very unhealthy twitter.

I found it started to wind me up, so I came off and now use it at arms length (plus have others doing bits) Different scale I know, but still a big following (15 500 odd on twitter, 6500 on facebook) and so many silly wind up merchants and bile ridden comments, I just thought it wasn't something I should be spending my time on.

Good for Tyrone speaking out. We need to acknowledge the pressure these players are under.
It’s self imposed pressure McP. The whole bubble around these high profile stars and the “win at all costs” crap drilled into them by coaches, media and fans alike must be stifling - and if you don’t buy into the ethos, you’re dropped for not being ”committed enough”. Its happening more and more across different sports - used to called burn-out.

I'd obviously defer to Mrs MD's knowledge on this (and other professionals), but I'd imagine that the 'ordinary' anxieties caused by the pressure faced by elite athletes can build and build, and that's when they suffer mental ill-health. So it is important to address it ASAP.

I think the reason that more and more athletes (and others) are talking about it now is that it's becoming more and more accepted and understood, rather than them being snowflakes or any of the other reasons being given - though I do agree that social media has a big role to play as well. Yes, this leads to self-diagnosis, which isn't right, but if someone thinks they have mental ill-health, then everything isn't right, is it?

It must be down to social media, and the constant, daily connection with the fans in good ways and bad. It must be burnout for athletes

It must be. Most England fans and pundits were doing nothing but praising him so it's difficult to see where he got the idea that 95% of England fans didn't rate him. Strange chap is our Tyrone.

It’s self imposed pressure McP. The whole bubble around these high profile stars and the “win at all costs” crap drilled into them by coaches, media and fans alike must be stifling - and if you don’t buy into the ethos, you’re dropped for not being ”committed enough”. Its happening more and more across different sports - used to called burn-out.

Agree. Always puzzles me when they lose a final these days and refuse to appreciate their runners up medal. They take them off as if it's beneath them. If you're such a bunch of big ruthless winners with that "winners mentality" then why didn't you actually win? Surely the better attitude is to appreciate how far you got and try to push further next time. But what do I know 'ey?(don't answer that)

Last edited:
It must be. Most England fans and pundits were doing nothing but praising him so it's difficult to see where he got the idea that 95% of England fans didn't rate him. Strange chap is our Tyrone.

No idea where you're getting that from as he was getting pelted before the tournament from pundits, media and fans on social media. I thought he was being prepared as the scapegoat in the event of England not doing well in the group stage.

As it turned out he was probably England's best player in those opening 2 games and the slagging off turned to praise from fans ignorant of how good he is and from the hypocritical media tossers who were claiming he was the weak link.

If he feels the need to see a psychologist or whatever if he's having a tough time then fine, let him do it. It doesn't hurt anyone and if even one other person struggling with whatever it might be reads about it and decides to do the same then it can only be a good thing.

I'm sure the likes of Piers Morgan and the professional "anti woke" brigade or whatever bollocks they're calling themselves will grumble and call him weak but then next time we get a sportsperson hanging themselves like Gary Speed or jumping in front of a train like Robert Enke they'll act horrified for a day then go back to sniping.

Tyrone coming out with it is good because it acknowledges the pressure while making the point that seeking professional support may be the right thing to do.

Its becoming quite commonplace for performers to suffer mental health issues. Not sure whether sportspeople are under loads more pressure now or whether they were just more mentally robust previously. Probably a bit of both.

The only difference today is that more people are willing to talk about it, probably because it is no longer seen by a majority as a weakness, as it used to be.