The Tyrone Mings Thread | Page 104 | Vital Football

The Tyrone Mings Thread

Mings for captain, agree. I think he’d relish it, and it would improve him more. He will have the extra responsibility on his shoulders which he’ll need to deal with - a few losses and he needs to stay calm, not try and call the fans out or anything silly which he can be prone to doing.

I'd say Mings but can he handle playing and being captain with his mental health problems, so players take being captain a bit more seriously than Jack did

I'd say Mings but can he handle playing and being captain with his mental health problems, so players take being captain a bit more seriously than Jack did

I posted the other day, whilst I agree Mings is the best candidate and it’ll be great when things are going well, he has a history of calling outs fans and now even politicians.

Imagine three or four losses on the bounce, away fans give a bit of stick, and Tyrone decides to be a bit gobby on social media? He’ll need a head of steel and actually be the person to calm things down, with the Smith mentality of “don’t get on excited when you win and not too down when you lose”.

I full agree he’s the best candidate, I think it’ll actually improve him as a player. But he’ll have to see the bigger picture when things get emotional.

He was brave to speak out about the situation - I don't agree in the slightest that it excludes him from being a captain. If anything speaking up shows even greater leadership. I'd also say the fact he sought advice from a professional immediately before it had a chance to get out of hand is a sign of someone well in control of their mental health which is far from being a "problem".

I was recently doing some interviews for a job where we had typically people in their early to mid 20’s apply. I’m coming up to my mid-30’s, but I was surprised at how much candidates openly spoke about such things.

I typically keep my personal and work life separate, either people are just more open and that should be encouraged, or it’s used perhaps for sympathy.

Someone like Mings (who is what 27?)coming out and talking about that stuff is the trend I am seeing in 20 something year olds.

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, but it’s just something that people of a certain age (including me) aren’t used to.