The Super League Discussion | Page 16 | Vital Football

The Super League Discussion

Let's get this straight once and for all.

Business owners where they owned entertainment, sports, hotels, eat in restaurants, airlines, physical training businesses, gyms, or any other business where people congregate have been absolutely CRUSHED by covid.

The size of the business doesn't matter. The numbers are just bigger but the effect is IDENTICAL. Lewis falls into this category.

In fact, smaller businesses have received more aid on a relative basis per business than larger entities.

This anti-success attitude that pervades society these days is ludicrous.

Business owners where they owned entertainment, sports, hotels, eat in restaurants, airlines, physical training businesses, gyms, or any other business where people congregate have been absolutely CRUSHED by covid.

The size of the business doesn't matter. The numbers are just bigger but the effect is IDENTICAL. Lewis falls into this category.

In fact, smaller businesses have received more aid on a relative basis per business than larger entities.

80 well said couldn't agree more, esp the anti-success attitude, no brains jealousy is big time.

That attitude is growing hard, I had a typical thing around 2005, a Steel Fixer asked for a pay rise, I said no, he said you can afford it cos we all know the money/profit we are making you on this job, so I replied yes that's true, but what about the loss I made on the last job you worked on, in business there are swings and roundabouts, plus lad if you think its so easy why don't you go and start your own business, he never answered just walked away to carry on with his job, I must admit I did smile.

80 well said couldn't agree more, esp the anti-success attitude, no brains jealousy is big time.

That attitude is growing hard, I had a typical thing around 2005, a Steel Fixer asked for a pay rise, I said no, he said you can afford it cos we all know the money/profit we are making you on this job, so I replied yes that's true, but what about the loss I made on the last job you worked on, in business there are swings and roundabouts, plus lad if you think its so easy why don't you go and start your own business, he never answered just walked away to carry on with his job, I must admit I did smile.

No one ever talks about the fact that owners are the first to give up the paycheque when times are tough, how many sleepless nights there are, and how it is tough on your children and marriage. The cost of success is real.

Taking risks is a personal choice.

Yep!, been there, ok on a smaller scale, but have the T shirt, got the video etc.

As you say taking risks is a personal choice, so to a degree it suited me as I am a risk taker, I never ever wanted to think to myself "what if".

I don't think expecting club owners to keep putting their own money in is the way to go. That's what creates the issues of trying to financially compete when other owners are just throwing cash at it constantly. It isn't sustainable and leads to problems when the bubble inevitably does burst.

There is enough revenue generated by premier league clubs that they should be able to attract players without needing cash injections each transfer window.

We are in a lucky position compared to other leagues that we get so much money from our tv deals that we afford budgets above most clubs in Europe. If clubs were run properly then we shouldn't have any issue recruiting talent.
You do not know that is the case.

One thing I can't stand is a billionaire acting poor. Embarrassing.

I've lost two business to covid so don't preach to me about some greedy old **** having it hard.

It's nothing a like. He can sell one massive asset and be fine. He will never be on the bread line.

As for his business outside spurs I couldn't careless if he loses the lot. Better men have lost a lot more.

I've lost two business to covid so don't preach to me about some greedy old **** having it hard.

It's nothing a like. He can sell one massive asset and be fine. He will never be on the bread line.

As for his business outside spurs I couldn't careless if he loses the lot. Better men have lost a lot more.
RD that's very bitter, but alas I do understand mate.
You are probably like me dust yourself down, pick your head up and start again.

RD that's very bitter, but alas I do understand mate.
You are probably like me dust yourself down, pick your head up and start again.

It might come across as bitter but I have zero sympathy for any millionaires or billionaires if they lose everything.

That shows a lack of intelligence and a massive ego. You must save for a rainy day regardless of how much you earn.

Nobody gives a damn about me Pompey so I sures hell don't care about some Rich tosser losing some coinage. I have enough on my plate.

You don't even know the man. And because he has been ultra successful he's "whatever you called him"? That's not exactly fair to Lewis.

The net effect is identical on a business front. In his case, as Mee alluded to, he put aside some money for a rainy day and that has all been used up keeping his businesses afloat. He planned ahead and he's given himself longer to recover. He essentially insured himself against catastrophe. And he should be castigated for that?

WHY? Why is someone else's success and good planning held against them?

He's not out of the woods yet and nor are Spurs.

It might come across as bitter but I have zero sympathy for any millionaires or billionaires if they lose everything.

That shows a lack of intelligence and a massive ego. You must save for a rainy day regardless of how much you earn.

Nobody gives a damn about me Pompey so I sures hell don't care about some Rich tosser losing some coinage. I have enough on my plate.

Then you should have sympathy for all the people who might lose their jobs if Lewis' empire goes up in flames.

You don't even know the man. And because he has been ultra successful he's "whatever you called him"? That's not exactly fair to Lewis.

The net effect is identical on a business front. In his case, as Mee alluded to, he put aside some money for a rainy day and that has all been used up keeping his businesses afloat. He planned ahead and he's given himself longer to recover. He essentially insured himself against catastrophe. And he should be castigated for that?

Like I said he can sell assets to make money just like the rest of us. That's what I have done and I know people who have done the same.

Adapt or perish.

I don't know him personally and I don't want to either. I don't like rich people that are show offs. I don't like rich people that bully others to get what they want. Any billionaire giving people minimum wage jobs tells a lot about someone.

Some of the stories I have heard about ENIC bullying local businesses to build the new stadium sound about right.

Have you forgotten how ENIC furloughed minimum wage workers last year and then had the nerve to take government money?

You clearly have forgotten they originally wasn't going to top up the remaining 20% either.

I remember when I was made redundant in 2016 and couldn't go to a game that season. My reward? 75 loyalty points deducted that I had earned over 15 years.

Where does that stem from? The top that's where.

Praise and defend him all you want I don't owe that man anything and I sures hell won't feel sorry for any man that chills on a 500m pound yacht regularly.

80 , do you know him ?

Joe Lewis lost over a billion in Bear Stearns in 2008. He got it back.

Seems to me that if his assets are down at the moment, then give him time to get them back to optimum. It's bad business sense to sell assets at the low point.

Ultimately, we can dream that Lewis will put more into Spurs but always know that all his equity will be tied up across all his business. There will be no "spare cash" lying around.

Joe Lewis lost over a billion in Bear Stearns in 2008. He got it back.

Seems to me that if his assets are down at the moment, then give him time to get them back to optimum. It's bad business sense to sell assets at the low point.

Ultimately, we can dream that Lewis will put more into Spurs but always know that all his equity will be tied up across all his business. There will be no "spare cash" lying around.

If we can get the stadium operating at capacity about 500 million in an equity offering would put us back at a prepandemic level.

I would bet that there is enough supporter interest to have that offering taken up PDQ.