The Summer Transfer Thread 2022 | Page 83 | Vital Football

The Summer Transfer Thread 2022

Yes.
What makes anyone think that the just relegated Tarkowski or untested Bassey are better than what we have and the significant upgrades we all agree we need . Phillips isn't going to us , no chance and Bissouma is not an upgrade.

I'm with you. Tarkowski has never entered my thoughts as anything but a very average player. Can't comment too much on Bassey. Watched a couple of Rangers games and he also has a mistake in him, just like our very own Tyrone. Bissouma for 50, I tend to think that there is better out there for the price.

To me it's an easy one, he's free and we need a CB to replace Konsa short term and either of them long term. They wanted 40m for him last season now he's free and about 15m in wages over 3 years which we'd have to pay whoever we get

Tarkowski will either be a stroke of genius or a square peg in a round hole. Undoubtedly a better defender than anyone we have IMO but will he fit what Gerrard is trying to do?

I saw some statistical analysis which put his passing really low compared to his peers. However some stuff that stood out to me was his passing under pressure and progressive passes are both much higher than Mings/Konsa.That's where I am thinking maybe there is more to his game than what he could show at Burnley. Additionally maybe some of his passing is statistically poor because of the low quality around him. Perhaps he isn't getting good options and players are too slow to react.

At the end of the day I think to get up the table we just need someone who does the basics and does them well. Getting a progressive modern centre back is probably something we can worry about in 2 years. As you say maybe Konsa can grow into that role in the next two seasons.

Starting to think Sanson isn't leaving and nor will Luiz, Sanson supposedly was in talks all the time with Kamara about how great Villa is. Luiz has a good relationship with Coutinho and helped him settled.

With the world cup in the middle of winter it probably makes sense to keep a larger squad.

Has Bissouma been cleared of whatever legal allegations he was faced with last season? Don't want us to go all Siggursson and spend 40m and then he disappears.
I like the idea of Suarez, short term contract, help ollie reach the dark nasty side to be the killer in front of goal, help archer progress to the next level too.
I would have thought last season if we were buying 2 new CBs it was cos we sold Konsa for big bucks, think we should keep him, still young enough to achieve lofty standards.
Looking forward to being in a situation where we can't pick the same side every week... different players for different type games or just not having the starting 11 be a formality.

Tarkowski is a better defender than anyone he have. He would get the best out of Mings and he's earnt the right to play for a top 8 club. I've always been impressed with him when I've seen him play and will bring a no nonsense grit to our backline. At 29 he is in his prime. Reminds me a little of Teale. Would be a cracking deal on a free.

Agree.

Never seen what everyone else has in Bissouma. Does the odd nice slide tackle but usually because the play got beyond him. Horses for courses I guess.

Tarkowski - does anyone know if he can play out? Our formation relies on CBs needing to be able to play forward and break the lines when teams match us up in midfield and I have no idea whether Tarkowski is up to that or is an old school "Row Z" CB.

That's what Kamara is here for.

That's what Kamara is here for.

Agreed, if we were to sign Bissouma I think its to add more steel to midfield. I see him more as a ball winner and not an out and out defensive option. I think he just suits Potters system in a double pivot as the more defensive player. Personally I think if we flipped the formation to 4-2-3-1 with Ramsey advanced of the two lads playing with Coutinho and Emi2 that would be a strong team IMO.

Who knows though because to fit Sanson, Luis, McGinn and Marv you'd have to switch the system a little. Any of those first 3 in an advanced position gives you something completely different. I also feel it makes Marv completely redundant if we have Kamara and Bissouma.

Never seen what everyone else has in Bissouma. Does the odd nice slide tackle but usually because the play got beyond him. Horses for courses I guess.

Tarkowski - does anyone know if he can play out? Our formation relies on CBs needing to be able to play forward and break the lines when teams match us up in midfield and I have no idea whether Tarkowski is up to that or is an old school "Row Z" CB.

I've only ever seen Bissouma when we played against them and he never stood out for me.

I'm not convinced that Tarkowski is better than what we have either. Defending is much more about organisation and coordination than individual skill. We often end up leaving our defence exposed, making our defenders look bad. Burnley had a decent defence because their midfield sat in front of the defence and the defenders all worked together. It limited teams to long shots which Pope is very comfortable with. We don't play like that. If Tarkowski comes to Villa Park, he'll be left exposed like all of our other defenders.

If we have a successful transfer window and taking out any sentiment would anyone be upset with this line up next season?
Martinez

Cash Tarkowski Bassey Digne
Kamara Phillips/ Bissouma
Buendia Coutinho Ramsey
Watkins/Suarez

I wouldn't be too happy with that central defence as a first choice pairing.
I wouldn't be too pleased with either Phillips or Bissouma playing alongside Kamara either, particularly Bissouma, who is basically a central midfielder who isn't good enough to play as a central midfielder in the premiership. It has amazed me how he isn't red carded in most of the games I've seen him play, he is a bit wild in the tackle and people think Mings is open to making errors but, want the walking error machine that is Bissouma. He plays in a 2 man DM role for Brighton so his DM partner can cover his errors, No thanks.
We have Kamara, who is two types of DM in one.
He is first and foremost a defensive minded player but, he is also a forward looking player, who looks to spread the ball wide and through the centre.
If we played 2 DM's in a game, Marv would be Kamara's ideal partner.
And young Tim will learn a hell of a lot training with Kamara.

Tarkowski is a better defender than anyone he have. He would get the best out of Mings and he's earnt the right to play for a top 8 club. I've always been impressed with him when I've seen him play and will bring a no nonsense grit to our backline. At 29 he is in his prime. Reminds me a little of Teale. Would be a cracking deal on a free.

Except Tarkowski plays on the left side of defence so him and Mings in a partnership is unlikely, he's more likely to partner Konsa or Chambers.
Also he's not particularly fast on his feet, which defenders need to be the way SG wants the team to play.

I wouldn't be too happy with that central defence as a first choice pairing.
I wouldn't be too pleased with either Phillips or Bissouma playing alongside Kamara either, particularly Bissouma, who is basically a central midfielder who isn't good enough to play as a central midfielder in the premiership. It has amazed me how he isn't red carded in most of the games I've seen him play, he is a bit wild in the tackle and people think Mings is open to making errors but, want the walking error machine that is Bissouma. He plays in a 2 man DM role for Brighton so his DM partner can cover his errors, No thanks.
We have Kamara, who is two types of DM in one.
He is first and foremost a defensive minded player but, he is also a forward looking player, who looks to spread the ball wide and through the centre.
If we played 2 DM's in a game, Marv would be Kamara's ideal partner.
And young Tim will learn a hell of a lot training with Kamara.
Very good point re Tim. Perhaps you’re right, maybe with Kamara on board now, we already have enough options for the other midfield berths.
I have no doubts Kamara will improve us hugely.

I still think we'll get 2. Tarkowski may be one, for the other we've been linked to some decent players on the continent. Pau Torres, Sven Botman etc.

Given the way Gerrard and Co have done business since arriving I'm confident they'll pull a rabbit out of the hat.

It's all very well pulling a rabbit out of the hat but, it's a CB upgrade we need, not some randy rabbit.

Keeping Sanson is a great idea, he's had some bad luck with injuries since he's been here.
He can cover 3 or 4 midfield positions and he does offer something different to others we've got.
Also he is a good friend of Kamara.
They played together for a couple of seasons at Marseille so know each others game inside out. Never a bad thing.
If Coutinho is to play, SG has two choices, either play Ramsey on the right, or don't play Ramsey.
Coutinho isn't the type of player to continually chase back and help out defensively, so the player behind him in midfield will have to do that, which will curtail his own contribution to attacking play. With Ramsey behind Coutinho teams will attack down that side most of the time.
So the alternative is to either play McGinn on that side because Buendia is willing to chase back and defend all day long on the right, which would free up Ramsey to make his runs at the oppositions defence. Or play Sanson on the left behind Coutinho and bring Ramsey on for a 15 or 20 minute burst at the end of the game.

Was it big Ron who came in and changed both CB's that we all thought were ok, my memory is fading a bit.?

Ah brought in Teale and Ugo and a raft of his own players

Last edited: