The Summer Transfer Thread 2022 | Page 80 | Vital Football

The Summer Transfer Thread 2022

at fault for the goal and nearly gifted them another (so sounds like he'd fit right in) -
altho the sweatie prem league is one of the best in the world apparently he'd be worth a squad filler punt at a couple of mill.
(altho thought it was top quality only now)
So we wouldn't need to #heybigspenders

Questionable whether he was at fault , but on that rationale no one would ever sign anyone , as believe it or not players make mistakes. The best ones just don't make them very often.

I saw the europa league final and thought Bassey was quality. He's got the pace ability I think to do well for us.
120 minutes in and he was stilll sprinting back. Would I think ne a good signing at only 19

Questionable whether he was at fault , but on that rationale no one would ever sign anyone , as believe it or not players make mistakes. The best ones just don't make them very often.

he's with the forward in the box and loses him as the cross comes in - seemed pretty clear tbh.
Let's hope it's the best ones we're after

he's with the forward in the box and loses him as the cross comes in - seemed pretty clear tbh.
Let's hope it's the best ones we're after
I saw that one differently. The right sided cb (don’t know his name) just let the cross go right passed him. I have no idea why, looked easily getable. I don’t think the big chap was at fault.
He had a slip later in the game but recovered extremely well.

I'd give the lump away tbh if he's our best CB it's no bloody wonder we've lost half of our games.
I think the arrival of Chambers who is hardly a player any of us would have given a second thought about before he signed, has shown that our current pairing is rank average and Chambers is equal to either of them.
The real problem area for me now is the CB's Konsa is out until September and Mings is a liability. I think SG knows this and will act on it or we are in for more of the same next season I'm afraid

Agree entirely - nothing personal against Mings as I appreciate his efforts but if you're going to give it the "leader" thing then you need to lead with more than just your mouth and he's just not good enough at this level I'm afraid.

I don't know much about Tarkowski tbh but he's certainly the right age for me to go in there for us - late 20s with lots of experience and capable of looking after himself keeping Burnley in the PL these past five years that's for sure - may make a decent captain too, certainly better than Mings which I thought was an awful decision tbh.

I guess I'm "happy" with Kamara (really no idea how he'll manage) but again, he's 22 and we really, really do need some wise heads in this team, we've all said it before - give me a couple of been there, done it late 20s/30 year olds who can give us 2-3 good years and help cut out the mistakes and naivety rather than just the latest, greatest wonder kid(s).

Last edited:
Sorry, mate a CB that makes mistakes every game and fails to command will still cost us regardless of who is in front of them.

Name me a CB, or any player no matter what position he plays, who doesn't make mistakes.
This may surprise you but there is literally no such thing as a perfect human being, we are all mistake/error ridden.

Name me a CB, or any player no matter what position he plays, who doesn't make mistakes.
This may surprise you but there is literally no such thing as a perfect human being, we are all mistake/error ridden.

Not every other game at this level there isn't - at least not for long if the club are genuinely ambitious - you've gotta raise the bar if you are, no matter how cruel it may look, it is what it is, Mings is a decent/average centre half, nothing more than that but we've gotta do better than that to progress.

The more I think about it the more I'm warming to the idea of Suarez.

He's not actually as old as I thought he was. He doesn't turn 36 till January.

That makes him roughly the same age as Messi and Cavani, 2 years younger than Ronaldo, 5 years younger than Zlatan, all of whom are still playing at an elite level.

What our squad is seriously lacking is winners. Martinez has had a taste. Coutinho and Digne have win things. But after that?

I'd love Saurez up top and then another serial winner in the heart of defence.

I've no doubt Gerrard will have been in his ear constantly over the last few months.

I don't like the idea of signing 35-year old strikers, but I have to admit it would be quite the picture to see Phillipe Coutinho *and* Suarez line up in claret and blue.