The Summer Transfer Thread 2022 | Page 79 | Vital Football

The Summer Transfer Thread 2022

Thinking of the team for our first league Cup game next season will include a lot of our first teamers now cos they're all playing second fiddle to our new megastars! Burton Albion won't stand a chance! And they'll be well ready for Man Utd in the third round of the FA Cup!

Like the idea of a hard as nails centre half - a player you could trust in the trenches - something we haven’t got at the back at the moment - maybe only mings ?
Someone of the ilk of A McGrath, Laursen, Mellberg or Ehiogu - someone who would run through a brick wall to clear the ball- I can't believe the amount of time and space our defenders give opposition these days, enough time to turn, do 12 stepovers, wait for team mates to arrive at the ground after using the bus and pass to them. They should be all over them like a cheap suit!

Bassey looked an absolute unit in the Europa Cup final.

at fault for the goal and nearly gifted them another (so sounds like he'd fit right in) -
altho the sweatie prem league is one of the best in the world apparently he'd be worth a squad filler punt at a couple of mill.
(altho thought it was top quality only now)
So we wouldn't need to #heybigspenders

I'm undecided as to whether we need the tough as nails centre half or a technical one that can play out from the back. Wouldn't turn my nose up at Tarkowski either way especially on a free.

I do think we have two good footballing centre halves in Konsa and Mings already, but what Chambers has shown me is the value of having a proper man-for-man defender. I do think Konsa is a very good defender, Mings I can take or leave. But both players let strikers get the ball as they don’t mark that tightly, turn on the ball and bring others into play. When Salah came on the other week for Liverpool, the first thing he nearly did was score whilst Mings was 5 yards away and sleeping.

Chambers will get his legs around the player, get an elbow over their head and make contact from behind, which is why you see him clear a few balls into the Trinity road at times. I don’t think Chambers will be the long term option but I’d like to see us being in a defender who’s more up for the physical battle.