The Summer Transfer Thread 2022 | Page 73 | Vital Football

The Summer Transfer Thread 2022

Lol. Going to cost us big big money to make sure we get better than what we have. Then you have the problem of the category of player people want , being in the Champions League bracket.
That's where the scouts and recruitment team come in. It's there job to spot the players who are not necessarily at so called big clubs but are ready to make the step up to the next level. I'm sure they're out there and the appeal of playing for Villa in the Premier league and the vision the owners, management etc can sell them is surely a big enough pull despite us not being a Chumpions League team ( yet 🤞)
Plus we've just signed Coutinho so that should add to our appeal

That's where the scouts and recruitment team come in. It's there job to spot the players who are not necessarily at so called big clubs but are ready to make the step up to the next level. I'm sure they're out there and the appeal of playing for Villa in the Premier league and the vision the owners, management etc can sell them is surely a big enough pull despite us not being a Chumpions League team ( yet 🤞)
Plus we've just signed Coutinho so that should add to our appeal

Then buying those hidden gems becomes a gamble as the law of averages say that some (e.g Bailey) don't work out and some (e.g Cash ) do. My point is we must be in the market for guaranteed upgrades on the likes of Mings and McGinn if as some suggest we should sell them.

Then buying those hidden gems becomes a gamble as the law of averages say that some (e.g Bailey) don't work out and some (e.g Cash ) do.
I agree with that sentiment but I suppose nearly every transfer is a gamble. Whichever way we decide to go, potential/experience, it's going to be an interesting summer.
Hopefully our 1st signing, after Coutinho, is a real WTF how did they pull that off? moment

If quality over quantity is the way we are going now, there’s a very good chance then that Mings and McGinn would become bit part players, if 2 of those quality additions are intended to be a central defender and a DM/CM. I don’t think either of them would be content with long spells on the bench. By the same token, it might be a little easier to attract players of the next level if they know they won’t have to compete with the likes of Mings and McGinn. We have an abundance of young talent, so wouldn’t it be better to fill the bench with some of them ?

My thoughts exactly some have been here since the Championship/1st season back and we and they have now hit the wall or become furniture.
If big money offers come in for players from the likes of Newcastle from Howe for his old boy Mings start the car because he's not going to suddenly turn into VVD.We probably don't need the money but it saves spending ours when we can spend theirs.
I know the Cherries fans always thought there was an issue between Howe and Mings so probably a classic paper led story along the lines of

Howe has money to spend. Who's doing well that he's previously had? Oh yes...

Glad he knows what he wants/needs so early . Clear plan etc. Also that he knows many of them will still be here so can work them to how he wants to play. He has a big job on the evidence so far though.. It's very disjointed looking.

It's very reassuring to hear that because I can't remember the last time a manager said that. No disrespect to Dean but I don't think he really understood what it was going to take. Gerrard might not be a high level manager but having played with top-level players and having played in the league in the last 10 years, he must know what it takes to succeed.

I like to think the days of buying lads who can't compete physically are gone while he is here. We and a lot of other teams around us have been suckered into buying these technical footballers who get knocked over by a breeze. TBF to Dean 50% of lads he's got a reasonably solid in this regard but then we brought in the likes of Trez and Wes who struggled with the physicality.

Personal opinion but, Dele Alli not even as a gift thank you.
He hit his heights 3/4 seasons ago and has gone backwards ever since.
Looking for a CB, could do worse than check out Arsenal's French international William Saliba on loan at Marseille.
Looking for an experienced DM, how about Hoffenhiem' Austrian international Florian Grillitsch, who can also play CB and CM. Grillitisch is out of contract this summer but, is recovering from a muscle injury at the moment.

You that watches the Germans 1958, have you watched Maxence Lacroix?

Glad he knows what he wants/needs so early . Clear plan etc. Also that he knows many of them will still be here so can work them to how he wants to play. He has a big job on the evidence so far though.. It's very disjointed looking.
It’s been the stated plan under Dean Smith too. What else would they say? Courtinho and Digne set the standard and it’s time to seriously plug the gaps. Put up or shut up I say 🤐. I have no idea who they should get, but there aren’t too many household names that’ll come in the summer. I’d be in for Suarez, even if he’s past his prime. Kante might be available, maybe Rudiger too 🙏

Last edited:
It was a mistake to sell Targett, strengthened a rival and left us without sufficient cover. We need 2 players for every position. If by Christmas Mings & McGinn have clearly lost their places then sell then; we'd easily get the suggested £35m then as good players go at a premium. There is no hurry to sell, we must have £100m to spend so spend that first on 2 top targets + a top level free transfer ie 3 new players to force their way into the side before we sell. We've bought too many duds ro risk losing current first team players

You that watches the Germans 1958, have you watched Maxence Lacroix?

Not in particular, I've watched Wolfsburg maybe 7 games this season and in three of those games he got a red card.
He is, a little volatile, apt to lose it. Now I don't know if it's because he's easily wound up or, if he's just trying to hard but, I'd pass. The fouls and cards make him stand out, not any footballing skill.

It was a mistake to sell Targett, strengthened a rival and left us without sufficient cover. We need 2 players for every position. If by Christmas Mings & McGinn have clearly lost their places then sell then; we'd easily get the suggested £35m then as good players go at a premium. There is no hurry to sell, we must have £100m to spend so spend that first on 2 top targets + a top level free transfer ie 3 new players to force their way into the side before we sell. We've bought too many duds ro risk losing current first team players
Don’t know the finances intimately, but we had a neutral spend last summer. They were on about the £180m play-off final, so I’d suggest we could easily spend another £200m - we could have a stellar women‘s team if we spent 10% of that on them 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Much to do this summer.

Traore, Trez, AEG, Guilbert, Hourihane, Davis, Sanson, Hause and Targett will all almost certainly leave in some form in the summer. Be it released, sold or loaned.

Despite the talk I can't see Mings or Mcginn going. Mings is still our best CB and with Konsa out till the start next season we'll need him. Mcginn is obviously a player Gerrard likes as when he's available he starts every time. Doug is another one constantly talked if as one who will move. More likely than Mings or Mcginn but I've s suspicion he'll stay and be moved forward slightly.

Not sure who else might go. We need a CB, DM and striker more than anything. That's what the big money needs to go on.

Much to do this summer.

Traore, Trez, AEG, Guilbert, Hourihane, Davis, Sanson, Hause and Targett will all almost certainly leave in some form in the summer. Be it released, sold or loaned.

Despite the talk I can't see Mings or Mcginn going. Mings is still our best CB and with Konsa out till the start next season we'll need him. Mcginn is obviously a player Gerrard likes as when he's available he starts every time. Doug is another one constantly talked if as one who will move. More likely than Mings or Mcginn but I've s suspicion he'll stay and be moved forward slightly.

Not sure who else might go. We need a CB, DM and striker more than anything. That's what the big money needs to go on.
problem is if we keep playing this narrow system whoever you bring in it's ending badly as the system is stifling all creativity

problem is if we keep playing this narrow system whoever you bring in it's ending badly as the system is stifling all creativity

I can't say I'm a fan but even tonight we created opportunities. Yes Pope had a blinder but we need better finishing and generally better/quicker passers. A striker that can properly link with the attacking midfielders and a DM that can not only do the defensive work but start attacks for us.

Much to do this summer.

TBH there is enough to try to move on in terms of the above without also letting go of current 1st team starters. I think a strong competent partner for Mings might free up some bandwidth in his head to concentrate better. Similarly, a physical and balanced presence in midfield would help us take more control of games.

McGinn, Mings and Watkins still have a part to play even though some won't like it. That for me is the nucleus of players which really sums up where we are.

I think, hopefully we will be getting better quality players in. That should mean the new arrivals being first teamers and our 'better' current first teamers becoming part of the squad and backing up/competing for a starting place. It should be natural progression, including improvements in certain quarters.

Now if certain current first teamers don't like that, they have two options - stay and fight, or do a 'Targett' and get out at the first opportunity.

Only time will tell as far as that's concerned of course. As my fellows posters have mentioned, we have enough to move on as it is.

Two CBs, captain of a midfielder and a player who can knock in 15 goals but lead the line and hold the ball up. Shouldn't be hard for professional football people to come up with surely, that's their job and I expect they get paid £1000s a week to sort it.

Yep, I think that would be transformative and get us into challenging for Europe and overcome some of Gerrard's inabilities. Finding those players is easy but convincing them I think will be the challenge. Taking Kamara as an example we've got competition from Atletico, Tarkowski if you want him is also going to draw attention from Newcastle and West Ham, Jonathan David is allegedly a target for Arsenal and Liverpool.

I hope they have one or players that are a little bit more outside the box because we'll most certainly have stiff competition for some of these lads. That's where getting a stopgap like Suarez is more attractive for me. Less competition but guaranteed quality, I think if you have him in your team you beat Burnley and Palace.