The Summer Transfer Thread 2022 | Page 71 | Vital Football

The Summer Transfer Thread 2022

We do need an evil bastard in the team to be fair. Too many nice lads.
Then we should employ....

dr-evil-austin-powers.gif

Dr. Evil

Would be a cracking signing for me, he was captaining Oldham as a 21-year-old, ball playing CB at Brentford and although more no nonsense at Burnley, I'd only ever ignored him because of the potential transfer fee once he rocked up at Burnley.

Last edited:

Tarkowski anyone? Solid enough Premier league CB. Perhaps he's got too used to Burnley's hoofball but I remember reading that he was excellent at playing the ball out from the back at Brentford so maybe there's more to him.

I disagreed with V57 previously when his name was mentioned. I didn’t think he could play the type of football Gerrard wants. We don’t know how good he would be in a team where he will certainly be way more exposed. However I now see it differently and whatever drawbacks there maybe pale in comparison to the positives. We desperately need another leader at the back and I don’t think we can find better than him.

The problem is I expect West Ham and a Newcastle to be snooping. That’s a huge amount of competition.

I wouldn’t sign for the Saudi’s, even Phil Mickelson suggests they’re “scary mo-fo’s” and he signed to play golf on their tour 🤣🤣.

I know money talks, but I’d prefer to keep all my body parts.

I wouldn’t sign for the Saudi’s, even Phil Mickelson suggests they’re “scary mo-fo’s” and he signed to play golf on their tour 🤣🤣.

I know money talks, but I’d prefer to keep all my body parts.
i'm very angered and saddened by Phil Mickelson. Here is a guy worth best part of £1Bn already and he has no moral compass aligning with Saudi Arabia and their sportswashing. I hoped and expected better of him !? not even going to defend his USPGA Title now as he's eloped . See You Next Tuesday Phil you cuntbag

Tarkowski anyone? Solid enough Premier league CB. Perhaps he's got too used to Burnley's hoofball but I remember reading that he was excellent at playing the ball out from the back at Brentford so maybe there's more to him.

Not for me, think Tarkowski is bang average. Mings and Konsa are better. Only positive is he’s on a free but will mean he’ll command wages higher than he’s worth and make him difficult to move on

I wouldn’t call those who want rid of Mings mentalists but I would call those who want rid of Mings and are happy with Tarkowski as a replacement as utter mentalists.

If we are getting rid of a 29 yr old current England international with 17 caps for a 29 yr old non-current England international with 2 caps and staring relegation in the face then that is not an upgrade. And every signing we make should be an upgrade on who they are to replace. Otherwise we tread water where we are now.

I wouldn’t call those who want rid of Mings mentalists but I would call those who want rid of Mings and are happy with Tarkowski as a replacement as utter mentalists.

If we are getting rid of a 29 yr old current England international with 17 caps for a 29 yr old non-current England international with 2 caps and staring relegation in the face then that is not an upgrade. And every signing we make should be an upgrade on who they are to replace. Otherwise we tread water where we are now.
Yeah Tarkowski is a decent player but he’s not a step up from what we have. I also have concerns whether the anti-football approach applied by Burnley makes him look more competent than he actually is

Rumours of Mings to Newcastle for 35 million and McGinn to Tottenham for a similar amount.
Don’t think there would be too many complaints if this were to happen, certainly not from me anyway.
The fees are maybe reasonable but the problem is constant churning the squad is a risk in so many ways. It’s surely better to build on the squad we have rather than trying to chop and change it all once

It shouldn't be too hard to replace McGinn. Mings might be a bit harder but ultimately apart from Martinez none of this lot are untouchable and most of them eminently replaceable, with both of these players being in that latter category.

Mings has been slated and praised in probably equal measure but the reported 35m for a 29 year old represents a good deal to me. I don't think he'll improve or cut out the recurring faults within his game so makes sense to cash in.
Yes he's a vocal leader and, when on song, probably our best centre half but we've got to step away from our thinking of we can't get better.
That's how we'll progress as a club, replacing people who we think are untouchable when in fact they're anything but. It's ruthless for sure but that's the mentality of building a team to hopefully win things.
I like Mings and McGinn, they've been brilliant for the club but we can't let sentiment get in the way of improvement or we'll just remain a mid table team.

It shouldn't be too hard to replace McGinn. Mings might be a bit harder but ultimately apart from Martinez none of this lot are untouchable and most of them eminently replaceable, with both of these players being in that latter category.
Yep said the other day I'd shed no tears selling any of them at the right price they are all replaceable with better for not much more money or even free .
Tarkowski is a player that 14/15 clubs will be after including us on a free

Easy to say get rid,(we've jettisoned nearly half our team in the last 2 days) and I have no problem if we are replacing them with better. But the big thing in my mind is who are the "better" replacements ? And are they guaranteed to be better ?

Easy to say get rid,(we've jettisoned nearly half our team in the last 2 days) and I have no problem if we are replacing them with better. But the big thing in my mind is who are the "better" replacements ? And are they guaranteed to be better ?

Well If Mings is a Newcastle target then a deal to be done to swap for the saviour of AVFC. Chris Wood?