The Ross McCormack Thread | Page 25 | Vital Football

The Ross McCormack Thread

Thing I noticed about that Bolt goal was how quickly the ball was moved. A pass from deep midfield to Ross, a one touch flick over the top, and Bolt was onto it. Something we need to address.

Don't think Ross's fitness was the real issue. It was a personality clash. Bruce likes to play the big gaffer and Ross isn't the forelock-touching type. Don't think he'll be back but it'll be interesting how Deano handles it.

Makes great economic sense to let a player on £50k a week rot in Australia and devalue his worth, when we could get him back, work with him and get him scoring goals for us, so we stand a better chance of moving him on, for somewhere near the money we paid for him.
All because a manager took an instant dislike to a player he didn't buy.
Great way to run a business.
You do realise he's 32 don't ya even if we got him scoring again we would be lucky to get 2 mill for him there ain't an hope in hell of getting anywhere near our 12 mill he's a lost cause I'm afraid great business by RDM.

You do realise he's 32 don't ya even if we got him scoring again we would be lucky to get 2 mill for him there ain't an hope in hell of getting anywhere near our 12 mill he's a lost cause I'm afraid great business by RDM.

Surely it would be worth it for his normal 20 goals a season.
Blaming RDM is a little bit of passing the buck don't you think?
I don't think McCormack ever had a big scoring season his first at any club but, once he was settled he knocked them in regularly.
I've never been a fan of McCormack, simply because from what I'd heard, he was always a disruptive element in the dressing room.
If you want his goal tally, thats something you have to deal with and RDM was obviously willing to do that for the pay-off.
Bruce obviously took a dislike straight away, not one of Brucey's boys.
I just think its rather silly to stick a 20 goal a season striker in the boondocks letting him rot, while costing the club £2.6m a year in wages, all because of a personal dislike.
Not very business like and totally unprofessional, in my opinion.

Bruce took a dislike to Fat Ross because the bloke didn't turn up for training on several occasions , and then used the laughable excuse of broken gates as a reason why,

Lets not rewrite history here , Fat Ross isn't interested in resurrecting his career with us , even if Dean Smith wanted him to. Ross is a baddun a fact proved by the Fulham players begging their manager not to re sign him.
The idea that we could re-habilitate him and the get the £12 million transfer fee back is frankly ridiculous.

I'm a firm believer in the notion that at some stage people have to help themselves. Others can only do so much. Love the way some seem to blame Bruce and presume it's his management and the club's failure. Staggers me that people think that in 2018 a top level football club would not be providing help and support to a 12 million pound asset. Think about it. Of course they would. No one can just write off 12 million like that.
I would put my house on the fact that Bruce and the club tried with McCormack but it is ultimately HIS failure to engage and help himself.

The fat prick .

Surely it would be worth it for his normal 20 goals a season.
Blaming RDM is a little bit of passing the buck don't you think?
I don't think McCormack ever had a big scoring season his first at any club but, once he was settled he knocked them in regularly.
I've never been a fan of McCormack, simply because from what I'd heard, he was always a disruptive element in the dressing room.
If you want his goal tally, thats something you have to deal with and RDM was obviously willing to do that for the pay-off.
Bruce obviously took a dislike straight away, not one of Brucey's boys.
I just think its rather silly to stick a 20 goal a season striker in the boondocks letting him rot, while costing the club £2.6m a year in wages, all because of a personal dislike.
Not very business like and totally unprofessional, in my opinion.
OK so reading that we signed a 30 year old who has a disruptive nature and needs a season to get his act together so basically we are expecting a 31 year old with an obvious lack of professionalism and poor conditioning to get ya 20 goals. Throw in the fact he cost 12 mill and in your opinion he's on 2.6 mill does that look like good business for a player who's been a decent championship player to you . Because in my opinion the only way that would have been good business if he had fired us to promotion in our first season but if your stats are to believed that was never going to happen. So where does the buck stop RDM was the manager who signed him that's as much as I know about the deal.

None of us know the full story - and there are always 2 sides to one.

He seemed to play a lot of games for his previous clubs, maybe he questioned Bruce on a lot of things and they did not get on.

Maybe Elphick did the same and is binned off too ?

None of us know the full story - and there are always 2 sides to one.

He seemed to play a lot of games for his previous clubs, maybe he questioned Bruce on a lot of things and they did not get on.

Maybe Elphick did the same and is binned off too ?

No we don't know the full story . But what we do know is he failed to turn up fo training and seemed incapable of rectifying his wrong.

I haven't seen or heard anything relating to him questioning Bruce.

Elphick was binned because Bruce thought he was shit.

He is shit.

But not as shit as Jedi or Axel. Hence Bruce was sacked .

No we don't know the full story . But what we do know is he failed to turn up fo training and seemed incapable of rectifying his wrong.

I haven't seen or heard anything relating to him questioning Bruce.

Elphick was binned because Bruce thought he was shit.

He is shit.

But not as shit as Jedi or Axel. Hence Bruce was sacked .

Surely he isn`t the first player to miss training for whatever reason ?

Jeez Tony Adams was wankered half the week, and nearly wrote of a whole family and went to prison.

He came back to win trophies.

Bruce didn`t seem to be very flexible with anything, but again i do not know the whole story.

Bruce could have tried a million things and he just didn`t respond.

I think we all know if Bruce has a dislike of a player they are done for. It’s happened to a whole load of players here. McCormack is probably an arse but I imagine lots of footballers are and that’s why the managers get paid millions of pounds to manage them. The fact he is willing to travel to the other side of the world to get game time and is playing reasonably well over there proves that he isn’t in the same mould as players like Agbonlahor, N’zogbia, Ireland, Richards etc who just stunk out the reserves for the remainder of their contract. I wouldn’t play him ahead of Kodjia or Abraham but he has been poorly managed

I think we all know if Bruce has a dislike of a player they are done for. It’s happened to a whole load of players here. McCormack is probably an arse but I imagine lots of footballers are and that’s why the managers get paid millions of pounds to manage them. The fact he is willing to travel to the other side of the world to get game time and is playing reasonably well over there proves that he isn’t in the same mould as players like Agbonlahor, N’zogbia, Ireland, Richards etc who just stunk out the reserves for the remainder of their contract. I wouldn’t play him ahead of Kodjia or Abraham but he has been poorly managed
You mean like Adomah and Jedinak? Supposedly Bruce was looking to get rid of both of them.....
And the whole “willing to travel halfway around the world” argument does my head in. You mean he was willing to use his ludicrous wealth to buy a first class ticket on Quantas, have a limo pick him up at the airport to play the equaivalent of League 2 football in paradise and be well paid for it???

Playing devil‘s advocate, if his goals had got is promoted 12 000,000 would’ve been seen a snip, I was very excited when we signed him due to his previous goalscoring exploits I think it unfair to blame RDM . If anyone has to look in the mirror about why he is what he is now I would suggest if is Steve Bruce because again like Hogan he did not fit into his style of play and was quickly removed from the first team And then the inevitable falling out. If we are to believe what Bruce told Hogan you can see a pattern emerging here

The fact he is willing to travel to the other side of the world to get game time and is playing reasonably well over there proves that he isn’t in the same mould as players like Agbonlahor, N’zogbia, Ireland, Richards etc who just stunk out the reserves for the remainder of their contract.

Can't see that this elevates his status in anyway David. A trip to sunny Australia, living a life of luxury, to be paid a millionaires salary for playing non league football way below your capability? Gabby and Ireland probably didn't go because they were worried about language difficulties :grinning:

One way or another, the man continues to steal a living. I do agree he should never have been purchased and has been badly managed. What is that Latin phrase, caveat emptor I believe. Should have purchased a warranty with him :shake:

A lot of uncorroborated nonsense has been talked about this. The only version of rossgate that people seem to put out is the one put out by Bruce, not a reliable source. A better manager wouldn't have mentioned it in public. But there are a lot of things Bruce said in public which should not have been said, which is why he lost half the dressing room.

Ross's version is that the gates jammed, he rang the club to say he'd be in late for training, was told OK come in when you can, got the gates fixed quite quickly, rang the club to say he was coming in, and was told don't bother, come in tomorrow, and then finds Bruce storming round.

As far as I can see, Ross has always wanted to play. Unlike say Gabby or N'zogbia who turned down several chances of going out on loan.

The Fulham story was click-bait.

Surely he isn`t the first player to miss training for whatever reason ?

Jeez Tony Adams was wankered half the week, and nearly wrote of a whole family and went to prison.

He came back to win trophies.

Bruce didn`t seem to be very flexible with anything, but again i do not know the whole story.

Bruce could have tried a million things and he just didn`t respond.

Thing is with the likes of Adams and our very own God or Merse they helped or at least tried to help themselves through rehab etc and accepted help from the club . So in acknowledging or helping themselves their managers and fans forgave. And despite their issues were quality and gave their all. Goes back to what I said earlier about sooner or later the individual has to take responsibility and control of themselves.

In terms of Bruce. Worth noting he was in charge of Hull when Jake Livermore tested positive for cocaine and gave evidence in his defence. Now I don't profess to know what Fat boys issue is (isn't there rumours of a booze problem ?) And Livermore's was in relation to the death of his young child (I think) so he had a good reason to be having a problem. But he has subsequently successfully come back with help and support from his old club and probably does still does from the Baggies.

Has Fat boy really really helped himself for what is probably a far far less difficult situation than Livermore found himself in . Villa have sent him out on loan several times and no one wants him ?. Mmmmm.
Rumours of issues at Forest when he was there. Mmmmm....

A lot of uncorroborated nonsense has been talked about this. The only version of rossgate that people seem to put out is the one put out by Bruce, not a reliable source. A better manager wouldn't have mentioned it in public. But there are a lot of things Bruce said in public which should not have been said, which is why he lost half the dressing room.

Ross's version is that the gates jammed, he rang the club to say he'd be in late for training, was told OK come in when you can, got the gates fixed quite quickly, rang the club to say he was coming in, and was told don't bother, come in tomorrow, and then finds Bruce storming round.

As far as I can see, Ross has always wanted to play. Unlike say Gabby or N'zogbia who turned down several chances of going out on loan.

The Fulham story was click-bait.

Bruce unreliable?.

Where is Fat boys version. Has he really put his case out there? . If it was valid or reasonable why sit in silence. If he wanted to play so badly why hasn't fucked off elsewhere .

Nah, if he wanted to play and was that good he would have done. Others have been in his situation and got their heads down and worked (Hutton)

Good to know you are so magnanimous about someone stealing so much money from the club . Sticks in my throat that on my wages compared to his he is taking the piss out of me, you and thousands of fans that put their hard earned cash into that Fat prick pockets and get nothing back. .

Bruce unreliable?.

Where is Fat boys version. Has he really put his case out there? . If it was valid or reasonable why sit in silence. If he wanted to play so badly why hasn't fucked off elsewhere .

Nah, if he wanted to play and was that good he would have done. Others have been in his situation and got their heads down and worked (Hutton)

Good to know you are so magnanimous about someone stealing so much money from the club . Sticks in my throat that on my wages compared to his he is taking the piss out of me, you and thousands of fans that put their hard earned cash into that Fat prick pockets and get nothing back. .

Ross's version was published in the Birmingham Mail over the summer. After Bruce told him that whatever the state the club was in he wasn't interested in playing him.

We have a load of players who wanted to play and Bruce wasn't interested. Can't see that Ross is any different. We're talking about a manager who bombs out Elphick with absolutely no replacement and tries to get Adomah out as well.

Don't think he's taking the piss out of anybody. If Bruce had put him back in the squad he'd have tried to get on the team sheet. Before Bruce arrived he was finding the net as well as anybody.

Fact. He is a good player. He's shown it. If he didn't want to play he wouldn't be across the other side of the world.

I'm not saying he's not an awkward character. There are plenty in football who managers manage to make a useful player out of. That's a part of being a manager. Unless you're Bruce.

Playing devil‘s advocate, if his goals had got is promoted 12 000,000 would’ve been seen a snip, I was very excited when we signed him due to his previous goalscoring exploits I think it unfair to blame RDM . If anyone has to look in the mirror about why he is what he is now I would suggest if is Steve Bruce because again like Hogan he did not fit into his style of play and was quickly removed from the first team And then the inevitable falling out. If we are to believe what Bruce told Hogan you can see a pattern emerging here
Yeah that's what I'm saying if he had got us promoted it would have been good business but watching him at Hillsborough on his debut it was clearly evident he was not in good shape so it was more than likely never gonna happen.When we signed him I was hoping he would come good cus I remembered watching him at Leeds and thought he was excellent but even then he had periods in the season where he was totally useless. But what I didn't like about the deal was that he was 30 and cost 12 mill so to me that's bad business so who do ya blame for signing him that's my point. Now what went on with Bruce I don't know but if you go on the reports that he was hardly turning up for training and when he did he was either still pissed or he was late now if I was a squad player working my balls off all week and someone with that attitude was keeping me out the team or I was expected to play along side him I wouldn't be best pleased especially if he was on more money than me so the moment you let that happen you lose the dressing room so if true then Bruce's hand was forced but I'm not saying Bruce was not at fault with mismanagement of other players cus he does seem a bit like Lambert and his bomb squad but in McCormacks case I don't think there was much else he could have done.

Reactions: OVB