The players and managers speculation thread | Page 31 | Vital Football

The players and managers speculation thread

Not unhappy with today's signings. The one big remaining gap is up front, where we need at least one a striker, preferably two - to give us a fox in the box and some pace, which we lack at present.

If Scally stops paying himself for the next 800 years, we could get Harry Kane.

Not unhappy with today's signings. The one big remaining gap is up front, where we need at least one a striker, preferably two - to give us a fox in the box and some pace, which we lack at present.
I think the starting XI is good:

Chapman (meh)

Ehmer, Tucker, Bennett 👍

Wingbacks: That Bristol Rovers newbie and Jackson.

Central mid: O’Keefe and Dempsey certs but Phillips and possibly Reeves?

Lloyd and MacDonald can play either mid or aside Oliver.

Up top: Oliver + new player (+ maybe Akinde or otherwise new.

I reckon a permanent striker signing and then pad the squad out with loanees. Easy to do. Possible goalkeeper permanent signing too if lucky, who’ll be an upgrade.

Unashamedly nicked from the Lincoln vital forum

Makes interesting reading

Out/In
Accrington: 6/8
AFC Wimbledon: 6/6
Bolton: 8/8
Burton: 13/10
Cambridge: 5/7
Charlton: 7/5
Cheltenham: 5/2
Crewe: 5/4
Doncaster: 8/7
Fleetwood: 8/6
Gillingham: 7/7
Ipswich: 21/9
Lincoln: 4/3
MK Dons: 11/7
Morecambe: 12/12
Oxford: 6/4
Plymouth: 12/7
Portsmouth: 13/8
Rotherham: 8/2
Sheffield Weds: 12/4
Shrewsbury: 11/4
Sunderland: 9/3
Wigan: 11/8
Wycombe: 8/4

Out: 216 (+6 since last update)
In: 145 (+12 since last update)

I think the starting XI is good:

Chapman (meh)

Ehmer, Tucker, Bennett 👍

Wingbacks: That Bristol Rovers newbie and Jackson.

Central mid: O’Keefe and Dempsey certs but Phillips and possibly Reeves?

Lloyd and MacDonald can play either mid or aside Oliver.

Up top: Oliver + new player (+ maybe Akinde or otherwise new.

I reckon a permanent striker signing and then pad the squad out with loanees. Easy to do. Possible goalkeeper permanent signing too if lucky, who’ll be an upgrade.

I don't argue with that except to say that Ollie Lee might be miffed to miss the cut. I expect him to start supporting Oliver unless we sign a forward soon.

Out/In

Clearly not a great time to be a lower league footballer.

Out/In

Seemingly a lot of the biggest clubs appear to have had the biggest cuts in squad size.
I think ours might be affected by the amount of movement we had during the season that might have affected the numbers at the end of the season. We definitely need another three minimum. But then if we were still paying a percentage of say the Arsenal lads money even if it was between 10 to 25% of their pay. it would have significantly reduced the budget.

Out/In

Presumably contract signings only, not loans?

I am seriously thinking about placing a bet on our relegation at the end of the coming season, something I have not considered doing before. I have never, ever, been so despondent during a close season. Seemingly nothing is going right for us - not even a handful of new signings, covid cutting our preseason back to a bare minimum and, worst of all, abso-fucking-lutely nothing in the way of information coming out of the club. I know I shouldn't be airing my grievances like this - and if the season goes well, please feel free to remind me of my pessimism - but I honestly think we are bottom 4 material and we all know where that leads. I wonder if we would be considered a big club in league 2? Probably not

That's the spirit, AFLP!

That's the spirit, AFLP!
The spirit has almost been extinguished in me Buddha, what with the clubs radio silence, the inevitable (and annual) late presenting of the tax forms and the (then) lack of new players,

Thankfully, since then, we have indeed signed a couple of players, one experienced, the other a sort of lottery ticket..... could be the best ticket ever or could end up getting the cold shoulder as a few of his predecessors have found out.

Anyway, we have had a fair bit of sunshine in the mean time, which, together with a couple of cans of cold McEwan's Export, has lightened the general (and annual) GFC malaise I was going through. I am now convinced we are going to be promoted by Christmas - sort of.........

Last edited:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ke...ne-up-premier-league-keeper-loan-move-251236/
This is the sort of thing I have been saying. Loaning a keeper at this moment possibly make sense. Hopefully Chapman will prove over this season he is good enough to step up .He appears to have been told to put pressure on the number one .Most of the available keepers at our level are in the veteran stage of their careers.This keeper might even want to stay as against sitting and waiting possibly for years.I say go for it Steve .Unfortunately almost every big club will have at least a handful of goalkeepers I wonder what the total number of keepers there are on Premier league clubs professional contracts?

The spirit has almost been extinguished in me Buddha, what with the clubs radio silence, the inevitable (and annual) late presenting of the tax forms and the (then) lack of new players,

Thankfully, since then, we have indeed signed a couple of players, one experienced, the other a sort of lottery ticket..... could be the best ticket ever or could end up getting the cold shoulder as a few of his predecessors have found out.

Anyway, we have had a fair bit of sunshine in the mean time, which, together with a couple of cans of cold McEwan's Export, has lightened the general (and annual) GFC malaise I was going through. I am now convinced we are going to be promoted by Christmas - sort of.........

From relegation to promoted by Xmas sounds a bit bipolar to me , I'm hoping for top six and playoffs 😀

I have a feeling I he will be not that much older than Walsh but a fair bit bigger.I could well be well wide of the mark.I have had a hunch about us getting a young keeper for months .The one I have picked out is based on what we know .I would say that his team will almost certainly be sending at least one young keeper out to our sort of level.If it is who I think the lad seems very highly rated but has a massive amount of competition just to get the third keeper shirt at this moment. There are so many though I might be wrong as usual.
I definitely will not name him on here just in case.

Callum Slattery signs for Motherwell

Shame, but we now have a lot of permanent signings in midfield so hard to see where he would have fitted in, had he returned.

I wonder whether McKenzie will get more games this season, as Trev didn't mention him in his summary? He is sill only 22. If we play a back three, I suspect he would be cover ahead of Maghoma.