The players and managers speculation thread | Page 29 | Vital Football

The players and managers speculation thread

The season hast even started yet, absolutely we can do without the loss of pre season preparation but teams will be affected by this throughout the season.
I believe the players will still be doing their own fitness regimes and the club will still be talking to players.
Do I believe we are promotion candidate (No) do I think we are dead certs for relegation (No)
Hopefully an average mid table finding with the odd big scalp will be nice
Good balanced comments

I am seriously thinking about placing a bet on our relegation at the end of the coming season, something I have not considered doing before. I have never, ever, been so despondent during a close season. Seemingly nothing is going right for us - not even a handful of new signings, covid cutting our preseason back to a bare minimum and, worst of all, abso-fucking-lutely nothing in the way of information coming out of the club. I know I shouldn't be airing my grievances like this - and if the season goes well, please feel free to remind me of my pessimism - but I honestly think we are bottom 4 material and we all know where that leads. I wonder if we would be considered a big club in league 2? Probably not
It’s alright to be pessimistic, but….

“Not even a handful of new signings”?

Apart from the 6 signings we’ve actually made? More than most other L1 clubs. Plus (so far) we have kept the 2 or 3 we all thought would be poached.

“Nothing in the way of information coming out of the club”.

Apart from the constant updates on the clubs Facebook feed and Twitter account (concerning ticket system, phone lines, club and player info etc). Not to mention PS’s introduction of his weekly online chat that has been pretty well received. And SE has done a few update interviews talking about transfers (and lack of) over the past few weeks. I haven’t even mentioned the almost daily articles on KoL etc that often quote Gills FC on things.

They aren’t going to knock on your door with a personal letter and all the latest info. But if you look, it’s all there.

Imho, our likely starting XI at the moment doesn’t look too bad. And if the remaining loan spots and 1 or 2 permanents actually increase the quality and competition somewhat, I reckon we will do pretty well.

Roll on August.

Edit - actually just remembered the club also put out a weekly(?) email with latest news. Even I’m on their database for that, so I don’t think you have to be a s/t holder or anything.

Last edited:

Apart from the 6 signings we’ve actually made? More than most other L1 clubs. Plus (so far) we have kept the 2 or 3 we all thought would be poached.

Apart from the constant updates on the clubs Facebook feed and Twitter account (concerning ticket system, phone lines, club and player info etc). Not to mention PS’s introduction of his weekly online chat that has been pretty well received. And SE has done a few update interviews talking about transfers (and lack of) over the past few weeks. I haven’t even mentioned the almost daily articles on KoL etc that often quote Gills FC on things.

They aren’t going to knock on your door with a personal letter and all the latest info. But if you look, it’s all there.

Imho, our likely starting XI at the moment doesn’t look too bad. And if the remaining loan spots and 1 or 2 permanents actually increase the quality and competition somewhat, I reckon we will do pretty well.

Roll on August.

Edit - actually just remembered the club also put out a weekly(?) email with latest news. Even I’m on their database for that, so I don’t think you have to be a s/t holder or anything.
I’m with you OSK. Our pre-season has been hampered by Covid, definitely, although players returned to full training today. Last season we didn’t have a training ground and were instead bouncing between school pitches! The transfer embargo won’t limit us as we’re not big spenders anyway.

Looking at the first XI - it’s practically there but with one more CB (assuming that 1. we’ll play WBs and 2. Mackenzie isn’t a first choice CB). Otherwise there are question marks other whether we have a first choice goalkeeper or partner alongside Oliver. But that’s it, hardly panic stations.

As someone else said we’re probably only looking at 1-2 more permanent signings then will pad out the squad with loans.

Communication issues - nothing new, nothing major at this point in time unless you’re waiting to hear back re: a season ticket problem.

So we’re not far off last season.

Where is BFSE? Have I missed something? No sight or sound since the Welling game. Is he unwell with Covid, keeping a low profile (first time for everything) or has he departed?

He’s never been so quiet since he took over, I get this nasty feeling that all is not well…

Where is BFSE? Have I missed something? No sight or sound since the Welling game. Is he unwell with Covid, keeping a low profile (first time for everything) or has he departed?

He’s never been so quiet since he took over, I get this nasty feeling that all is not well…

He's isolating, like the players and most of the staff.

It may just be a coincidence, but we haven’t signed anyone since the transfer embargo was announced.
I have been told many times it will have no affect. Business as usual. Scally has everything in hand and Evans is delighted to have the embargo in place.

I have been told many times it will have no affect. Business as usual. Scally has everything in hand and Evans is delighted to have the embargo in place.
That’s not what they said Chris, you little stirrer 😁
Neither Scally nor Evans said that they were delighted to have the embargo in place.
They both actually said that it will make no difference to recruitment.
Are you actually accusing both of them of bare face lies to our fans?

Neither Scally nor Evans said that they were delighted to have the embargo in place.
Perhaps we were never going to sign anyone especially with Covid. Loans possibly left to last moment because of financial limitations and Covid.
The last permanent signings may depend on departures?

It was meant as a bit of a stir admittedly.

If you look at the latest statements regarding Derby it's hardly surprising that rumours take hold. Sanctions are handed down to half a dozen and more clubs at a time, it's not at all clear that all are subject to exactly the same conditions, appeals are heard and adjustments made with no reasons given and no clear process.

Very few signings being made at any level bar the better heeled clubs signing one or two more fancied players. It's not ideal for us but we seem about on a par with our realistic competitors.

Roll on August.

I'm not saying you're wrong but the only new players we have are Tutonda, Reeves, Lloyd and Chapman are new, fair enough, MacDonald, Lee and O'Keefe were here last year and maybe could have gone to other clubs however I am not sure they would have been better clubs. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're still around as I think they all add something positive to the team. Ehmer returning is a step backward in my estimation. I think I have made my thoughts on him clear on other threads so I won't go into it too much, just never rated him at all. Brave as you like but just a hoof artist.... but maybe Evans thinks he is what we need and I surely bow to his superior knowledge.

Regarding twitter, I do look there occasionally however, we have an official site the last four articles there are about ticketing , young Gulls, Colchester and fucking vacancies for a sous-chef, customer engagement team, receptionist finance assistant, cleaning supervisor, cleaning operative and a maintenance operative - all dating back from July 13th. Clearly I am glad for the people who are taken on for these positions but come on - is that Gills news? Sadly my computer still says no!

The last news from BFSE (who regularly gives interviews regarding the situation at the club on the official site) was also dated the 13th, 8 days ago, and I think that any Gills fan worth his salt, wants more information, even if it is just to say there is none. No news is not good news. Perhaps my pessimistic self is getting a little worried there is more going on behind the scenes and not in a positive way - I remember hearing that we had going into administration on the radio and was sick for about a week afterwards. Stupid, and believe me I do have a life, but when I think of the Gills, I think also of Bill Shankly. I won't quote him because we all know what he said but it rings true for me - even up here among the Jocks.

Regarding the KoL, I do look there at times but mainly because there is nothing to be found anywhere else.

I (and most of us on here are the same) am a passionate GFC supporter and next month I will officially have been so for 60 years. I would like to see the same passion reciprocated by the club towards those who care about it, as we do. Sadly that is not, and has not for a good while, been the case. I hope the person who get taken on for the customer engagement team is taken on for the right reason and not just the wage packet.

Rant over....... sorry guys / gals

Lincoln forum has a poll of where each club could finish.
Out of 30 entries so far, only two have Gills finishing in the relegation zone and one of those has Sheffield Wednesday and Sunderland also relegated.
So, opposition fans don’t think we are that bad.
Hopefully they are correct.
Did the polls not say that Labour were going to win the last election? I give them no more credence than BoJo saying that the pandemic is now officially over and we are now all safe to do anything we care to do, and with whom (blond moron - BoJo - not you SS).

I'm not saying you're wrong but the only new players we have are Tutonda, Reeves, Lloyd and Chapman are new, fair enough, MacDonald, Lee and O'Keefe were here last year and maybe could have gone to other clubs however I am not sure they would have been better clubs. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're still around as I think they all add something positive to the team. Ehmer returning is a step backward in my estimation. I think I have made my thoughts on him clear on other threads so I won't go into it too much, just never rated him at all. Brave as you like but just a hoof artist.... but maybe Evans thinks he is what we need and I surely bow to his superior knowledge.

Regarding twitter, I do look there occasionally however, we have an official site the last four articles there are about ticketing , young Gulls, Colchester and fucking vacancies for a sous-chef, customer engagement team, receptionist finance assistant, cleaning supervisor, cleaning operative and a maintenance operative - all dating back from July 13th. Clearly I am glad for the people who are taken on for these positions but come on - is that Gills news? Sadly my computer still says no!

The last news from BFSE (who regularly gives interviews regarding the situation at the club on the official site) was also dated the 13th, 8 days ago, and I think that any Gills fan worth his salt, wants more information, even if it is just to say there is none. No news is not good news. Perhaps my pessimistic self is getting a little worried there is more going on behind the scenes and not in a positive way - I remember hearing that we had going into administration on the radio and was sick for about a week afterwards. Stupid, and believe me I do have a life, but when I think of the Gills, I think also of Bill Shankly. I won't quote him because we all know what he said but it rings true for me - even up here among the Jocks.

Regarding the KoL, I do look there at times but mainly because there is nothing to be found anywhere else.

I (and most of us on here are the same) am a passionate GFC supporter and next month I will officially have been so for 60 years. I would like to see the same passion reciprocated by the club towards those who care about it, as we do. Sadly that is not, and has not for a good while, been the case. I hope the person who get taken on for the customer engagement team is taken on for the right reason and not just the wage packet.

Rant over....... sorry guys / gals

It would not surprise me that Scally has put all playing staff on furlough whilst they were isolating, hence why there has been no interviews even whilst the team has been self isolating. I think I'm right in sayiing, if you are furloughed you can't doing any work for your employer.

Did the polls not say that Labour were going to win the last election? I give them no more credence than BoJo saying that the pandemic is now officially over and we are now all safe to do anything we care to do, and with whom (blond moron - BoJo - not you SS).
Nah!
It’s just a bit of fun mate, given we are in close season.
I don’t think it’s very scientific, just Lincoln fans opinions on the coming season.
Some may be right, most will be wrong.😁

I haven't lived there for many years and only go back once or twice a year to watch a game at Priestfield. On the way down to Kent I often reminisce about my younger life in the towns, parading up Gillingham High Street on a Saturday morning looking for "a nice bit of fluff", going to the Central on the top road at weekends, all the young ladies I walked over the Great Lines with.....well, not only walked (ehum), the Strand even had a charm back then and, of course going to watch the Gills every couple of weeks (every week if the away match wasn't too far away. During the drive I also wondered whether I could live there again and generally speaking the romantic in me said "yes".

Then I get back into town to see that all the old shops have magically morphed into Pawns shop, coffee shops, telephone shops, pound shops etc, The high street is filthy, there are more teenage girls walking around with a kid in a pushchair than older parents with kids and..... the atmosphere seems somehow angry or threatening even. I have seen a couple of fights kick-off as well.... don't know why and don't want to.

Watching the match gives some relief but really only feeds my nostalgia however, reality kicks in again as I walk along Franklin Road back to the car and the drive down to my friends house in Ashford. I only really feel back at ease after I have joined the motorway the next day for another 11 hour stint back North, During the drive back I ask myself why I ever thought I would want to live in the towns again because, to be honest, I hate being being in the Medway Towns. They have changed beyond recognition and in my estimation, not for the better. Thankfully I have a wife who has always said point blank that she would never leave her country and the moment that I think of her, I am glad she is so resolute about it.... I prefer it there too!

Last edited:
Lol actually it should be Sturdee Gill as that will give you an idea as to where I lived for 25 years and why I brought the house originally but the site for some reason cocked it up, or predictive text.

needless to say I no longer live in Medway

My nan lived in Harold Ave, and the back garden faced the direction of Priestfield.
I've measured* from the middle of her garden to the middle of the Rainham End and it's 165 metres. It sometimes got noisy 😁

*Using Google Earth