The players and managers speculation thread | Vital Football

The players and managers speculation thread

shotshy

Vital Champions League
So, it’s over for another season.

Let’s enjoy ourselves by having a guess the ins and outs.

Let’s be totally realistic guys.

I’ll kick off with Randell Williams.
Out of contract at Exeter.
Right back or right midfield.
Peterborough made a bid for him but couldn’t agree terms. I don’t expect he’s still on their radar since they have gone up.
Good age at 24 and played well against us.
I reckon Evans would be aware he’s available.

"Couldn't agree terms " should rule us out. Smallest budget and all that.

I'll focus on our players in demand.

Oliver - stays
Dempsey - sold
Graham - leaves
Okeefe - leaves
Tucker - stays
Ogilve - stays

Agard has been released by MK and played for Evans at Rovrum. Rumour was we tried to sign him before he plumped for the home of the roundabout.

"Couldn't agree terms " should rule us out. Smallest budget and all that.

I'll focus on our players in demand.

Oliver - stays
Dempsey - sold
Graham - leaves
Okeefe - leaves
Tucker - stays
Ogilve - stays

Oliver 20 goals no chance he will be sold

Dempsey sold quality.

Graham already as good as confirmed is leaving

O'Keefe might stay I will try to find and have a word with a relative of his I believe he lives locally. Not easy at present.Offer him the captaincy if Dempsey is going.

Tucker I think he is contracted and I don't think he has been convincing enough to warrant a bid large enough for Scally to be tempted. Staying

Ogilvie If he is out of contract he will get much larger financial offers likely to leave.

If the above is anywhere near correct Evans will probably go too.If Mark nearer to being correct there is a good chance he will stay.

Last edited:
Ok there seem quite a large art of this year's squad that wont be going anywhere
(unless SE doesn't want them)
Bonham, Jackson, McKenzie, O'Keefe, MacDonald, Akinde, Samuel, Johnson, Woods, Sithole
the loanees who SE might wish to come back - perm or another loan - Lee, O'Connor, Cundy, Robertson
I cant see Tucker or Ogilvie attracting worthwhile offers
so only leaves Dempsey, Oliver and Graham who might go; think only Graham will want to take an offer at Championship level - other 2 likely to stay
So Se could have virtually same team/squad - if he wishes (it would be a bot out of character, as he ;ike the merry-gp-round!)

Ok there seem quite a large art of this year's squad that wont be going anywhere
(unless SE doesn't want them)
Bonham, Jackson, McKenzie, O'Keefe, MacDonald, Akinde, Samuel, Johnson, Woods, Sithole
the loanees who SE might wish to come back - perm or another loan - Lee, O'Connor, Cundy, Robertson
I cant see Tucker or Ogilvie attracting worthwhile offers
so only leaves Dempsey, Oliver and Graham who might go; think only Graham will want to take an offer at Championship level - other 2 likely to stay
So Se could have virtually same team/squad - if he wishes (it would be a bot out of character, as he ;ike the merry-gp-round!)
That assumes several out of contract players sign.Bonham and O'Keefe might well get better offers. Ogilvie will definitely get interest.We have no idea how much we need to bring in to simply survive. If there are less season tickets sold Scally will have to cut the budget.23 TV games for around £600 pounds(a season and 5 games)or more for top price tickets doesn't represent good value. We also have no idea how many fans have had their spending budget cut or by how much.If Scally wants to keep as many as possible on board the ticket prices will have to be really good.

Regarding Graham, does anyone think he can really step up a level? He is very predictable and doesn’t really possess electric pace. No disputing he has had a good season but I’m not convinced he’ll be a success elsewhere.

Rather than the doom and gloom, mass exodus that some are predicting I do wonder if (as I said a few weeks ago) Scally may see next season as his best chance of getting us up again. Therefore might do a shit or bust season*. In which case the only departee could be the out of contract Jordan Graham- who, as much as I love watching him, is probably the one of our best performers this season who we could afford to lose. I wonder if Tyreke Johnson is earmarked as his replacement.

I do wonder if Firstly Evans and Raynor have another year, and I’m sure can be very persuasive.

Dempsey and O’Keefe are the perfect foil to each other. IMO, the most influential midfield pairing we’ve had since Hess and Smith, both are key to next season.
Oliver has surprised me with 20 this season. But at 30 years old I’m not sure there will be massive offers.
Ogilvie is another. He may get offers, but will they be to good to turn down? I’m not sure they will.

PS has turned down good bids for players before when it has suited him, think Marlon, Asaba, more recently Dack.

Then we look at the “others”

Bonham. Solid enough. I expect him to get a new contract.
Tucker. Again, solid enough. Young, prone to the odd faux pas. Don’t think we’ll get any major offers.
MacDonald/Mackenzie. Both started performing well last few months.
Samuel still to come back to full fitness. Akinde still under contract.

Scally is not stupid, I am sure he can see that If the core was kept together, then a few more added (either permanent or year long loans) then we have a bloody good chance of top 6 next season. Or maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part........

*Just to confirm, I don’t literally mean bust. More that Scally will loosen the purse strings this season and go all in. If it doesn’t work, then expect a few years of relegation dogfights, hardworking, talentless players and a cheap, ex player appointment as manager.

Regarding Graham, does anyone think he can really step up a level? He is very predictable and doesn’t really possess electric pace. No disputing he has had a good season but I’m not convinced he’ll be a success elsewhere.
Interesting, you could be right. Bit of a one trick pony, although like the comms said today 'It's one thing knowing what he's going to do, it's another thing stopping him', at this level anyway.

The date for the official publishing of the list hasn’t been announced yet, but Steve is meeting the players tomorrow.
If that goes to form we should know about Wednesday.In the current circumstances it is good that the players will know quickly. That might also help give time for the players offered deals.

Oliver 20 goals no chance he will be sold

Eaves wasn't after season 1. I wonder if olivers age is against him attracting interest from above

I think if we offered a decent 2 year extension he would be tempted to stay. 3 year contracts in current climate are rare

We won't know the final details until after the play offs but general principals apply. There will be several clubs with big disappointment and big funds. If any of them intend playing a system requiring a big number 9 with the best heading stats and an eye for goal... You get my drift and it's also true that we have surprised some of those bigger clubs this season.

I think Chris is right that our ST sales may be key. Evans will need enough to feel he has a chance but he appears to relish a challenge. He's certainly the man to re-recruit. I'm certain Dempsey and Graham will go. If we lose more than 3 of our better players I can see Evans going I think and hope he'll stay but he will probably surprise again. Swap deal/s my outside bet

We won't know the final details until after the play offs but general principals apply. There will be several clubs with big disappointment and big funds. If any of them intend playing a system requiring a big number 9 with the best heading stats and an eye for goal... You get my drift and it's also true that we have surprised some of those bigger clubs this season.

I think Chris is right that our ST sales may be key. Evans will need enough to feel he has a chance but he appears to relish a challenge. He's certainly the man to re-recruit. I'm certain Dempsey and Graham will go. If we lose more than 3 of our better players I can see Evans going I think and hope he'll stay but he will probably surprise again. Swap deal/s my outside bet

I tend to agree jogills.
He’s in quite a unique position in football where he’s a manager with absolutely no pressure on him.
That must be tempting.
We do ok, he’s done well.
We do good, he’s a hero.
We do bad, well, what do you expect on this budget.
It’s a year’s money with no aggravation.
I think he’ll stay unless he gets a serious offer like Celtic or a big Championship club.

I think Chris is right that our ST sales may be key.

I'd imagine we must be fairly stable in terms of numbers. A bigger worry is that a chunk who would renew already have with the two year deals. That incomes spent no doubt.

The ST offer must come out this week surely but will it be tempting enough the boost sales ?

I have my doubts.

If Dempsey does go it will be interesting to know whether any of the fee will be reinvested in the player budget, not necessarily via transfer fees, but in competition to sign 'wanted' free agents. We must have offered Dempsey a fair amount for him to relocate south.

I don't see Evans moving up, but if an owner waves a large transfer kitty in front of him, be it L1 or L2, he will be tempted. I think that is what happened at Mansfield.