The Official Jota Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

The Official Jota Thread

not quite the 60% odd you were hoping for as the playoff winners get relegated at roughly 60% first season.
As i said hope jota is just a squad player and marginal upgrade on whats left and the real quality we need will be along shortly as our multi billionaires open the taps.

Ronnie is getting on bit fair enough maybe we'll be in for Felix and that Bernie Silva fella instead just for company for jota ?

Maybe Jota has been brought in for his translation skills! ?

Remember being very impressed when he played for Brentford and was amazed and slightly pissed off when Blues signed him....skills seemed far too silky for that pile of shite! A good addition and £4m plus 'Blues fan all my life Gardner' is a no brainer! Decent start in rebuilding a squad, we need strength in depth....this is just the beginning!

Whether it is Jota from the Blues, or Neymar from PSG - I will reserve judgement on any player until I see what they are like in Claret and Blue (and I mean Villa - I know what the likes of Andy Carroll can do).

Blues do not play to any skillful players strnegths no matter who it is, Gary Gardner, Kiftonbelt (whatever) - they are the types of midfielders they want there, kick the man first, then kick the ball to the corner flag and hope a pacy bloke can outsprint the defender - and don't get me wrong, I am not knocking that, it works for them , and we played exactly the same way under Bruce - which is why El Ghazi looked crap until Smith came in, and Green has struggled

All I can say is Smith has worked with him before, so he should know, he should know his attitude, and he has played for Spain so he can't be that bad. Think about it, even if it is only one cap, you get that cap for playing bloody well, even someone lke David Nugent deserved his call up when it came.

Also, who knows how anyone will turn out - EVERY big signing bar one, in the tp league, from memory, has turned out utterly average at best and utterly abysmally at worst - I mean, I thought Richards was an inspired signing, I thought Collymore was the last piece of the jigsaw , I thought Cascarino was the missing link, I thought Kevin Phillips was going to trouble Pongo Warings record. I think you can find on here me saying Ross McCormack would guarentee us a place in the Premier League !

I also had never heard of Dwight Yorke, David Platt, Chris Price, Mark Bosnich, Olof Mellberg, Ashley Young, Gareth Barry etc,,,etc,,,,

So who-ever they are, how ever much they cost, or who they are signed from - I will welcome them, and wait and see

Whether it is Jota from the Blues, or Neymar from PSG - I will reserve judgement on any player until I see what they are like in Claret and Blue (and I mean Villa - I know what the likes of Andy Carroll can do).

Blues do not play to any skillful players strnegths no matter who it is, Gary Gardner, Kiftonbelt (whatever) - they are the types of midfielders they want there, kick the man first, then kick the ball to the corner flag and hope a pacy bloke can outsprint the defender - and don't get me wrong, I am not knocking that, it works for them , and we played exactly the same way under Bruce - which is why El Ghazi looked crap until Smith came in, and Green has struggled

All I can say is Smith has worked with him before, so he should know, he should know his attitude, and he has played for Spain so he can't be that bad. Think about it, even if it is only one cap, you get that cap for playing bloody well, even someone lke David Nugent deserved his call up when it came.

Also, who knows how anyone will turn out - EVERY big signing bar one, in the tp league, from memory, has turned out utterly average at best and utterly abysmally at worst - I mean, I thought Richards was an inspired signing, I thought Collymore was the last piece of the jigsaw , I thought Cascarino was the missing link, I thought Kevin Phillips was going to trouble Pongo Warings record. I think you can find on here me saying Ross McCormack would guarentee us a place in the Premier League !

I also had never heard of Dwight Yorke, David Platt, Chris Price, Mark Bosnich, Olof Mellberg, Ashley Young, Gareth Barry etc,,,etc,,,,

So who-ever they are, how ever much they cost, or who they are signed from - I will welcome them, and wait and see

Did not know David Nugent got a cap for Spain

Not writing him off either. Just an opinion based on the facts I know.
Looking at it another way. We had to get rid of Gardner as he not only wasn’t good enough but also probably on a decent wage, Blues don’t have any money yet were the only ones interested, so we got a player of similar age, probably on a lower wage and one that can be a decent squad player within the way that Dean Smith wants to play. Win-win for everyone... who knows if Jota will be good enough, but I guarantee he’s better than Gary Gardner....

Jota should get everyones support but like any signings there are valid questions to ask.

John Terry - age
SJM - coming from a crap league
And so on....

My question mark is how a 27 year old has not been picked by any Top, middle or bottom premier league side previously . In my view 27 is quite old to only just being considered good enough for the premier league.

You can't tell me the likes Watford, Burnley, Huddersfield, Brighton, Bournemouth etc etc wouldn't sign him if he was good enough at premier league level
5 years younger I would get it.

I also don't think it's much of a validation of him as a player because he played well against us 2 or 3 years ago . He was playing for a mid table championship side against a mid table championship side. And on reflection . We were pretty shite at that point .

Sorry but I cannot get excited about us (a premier league side) signing a 27 year old from blues who has never played higher than mid table in the championship. I'm hoping the next signing inspires me more otherwise I might start having concerns about our recruitment going forward .

Last edited:
Looking at it another way. We had to get rid of Gardner as he not only wasn’t good enough but also probably on a decent wage, Blues don’t have any money yet were the only ones interested, so we got a player of similar age, probably on a lower wage and one that can be a decent squad player within the way that Dean Smith wants to play. Win-win for everyone... who knows if Jota will be good enough, but I guarantee he’s better than Gary Gardner....

Or. We get rid of Gardner anyway and spend the money elsewhere and not on Jota.

Or. We get rid of Gardner anyway and spend the money elsewhere and not on Jota.
Blues don’t have any money, so the only way we got anything for Gardner was some type of exchange (for a better player). I’m assuming you don’t think we should’ve just let Gardner go for nothing?

Have to say I’m underwhelmed.

When people talked about Blues last season Che Adams was the player talked about. Don’t recall hearing anything about Jota. Don’t remember him standing out against us either. Don’t buy the played well under Smith before line either

Time will tell. But we have signed someone from Blues. Meh.

I'd disagree with you last point, I believe a saw an independent stat that was it 28 goals in 78 for Brentford vs. 3 in 40 for the Blues? Mind you I've done no research and dont intend on doing any.

You have to think about the style of football he played in the Blues team vs. when he was at Brentford so he seems tidy on the ball. Will he work out? The 2 yers contract seems to suggest it 'no hard feelings we're giving you an opportunity' type deal. I would imagine if he some how is useful we've already built in a one or two year optional extension.

I think actually most comments I read misunderstand you. You're not excited, not saying he's good or bad just confused by the signing. I agree I am not excited and honestly my opinion on signings is 'you buy players who will challenge for a first team spot'. In that sense its good but its not great when you consider he'd walk into our RW spot such is the lack of talent. Fuck maybe even I would thats how weak it is.

Last edited:
I look at it this way people expect us to sign ElGhazi because he had a good end to the season but Jota because he was at the blues is questionable.
He's probably better than ElGhazi , certainly better than Albert or Elmo on the right. He's also a very nippy tricky no 10 who can score beat a man and create .
I remember when Blues signed him , thinking how the feck have they done that we could have done with him
Can he play in the top League , We have to trust Dean and his judgement

Jota should get everyones support but like any signings there are valid questions to ask.

John Terry - age
SJM - coming from a crap league
And so on....

My question mark is how a 27 year old has not been picked by any Top, middle or bottom premier league side previously . In my view 27 is quite old to only just being considered good enough for the premier league.

You can't tell me the likes Watford, Burnley, Huddersfield, Brighton, Bournemouth etc etc wouldn't sign him if he was good enough at premier league level
5 years younger I would get it.

I also don't think it's much of a validation of him as a player because he played well against us 2 or 3 years ago . He was playing for a mid table championship side against a mid table championship side. And on reflection . We were pretty shite at that point .

Sorry but I cannot get excited about us (a premier league side) signing a 27 year old from blues who has never played higher than mid table in the championship. I'm hoping the next signing inspires me more otherwise I might start having concerns about our recruitment going forward .
for me he is going to be a squad player.A player that can do something different if the game is 0;0. £3 million or abouts plus off loading a player is pretty good buisness considered if he was at a Spanish club in the second tier we could of paid £6 million instead off a fair deal from the scum.