The Official John Terry Thread | Page 23 | Vital Football

The Official John Terry Thread

If he thinks he is still fit and able I reckon he'll play another season and to me he certainly looks capable.

I think we need Terry to commit to another year working with Bruce with some sort of arrangement over assistant player manager type thing . Keeping Terry for one more playing season would be a massively timely boost .

Terry has been a fantastic addition to the club. He has played a massive role in re-shaping the mentality of the club. The likes of Grealish and others are proof of that.... But I have one nagging thought in the back of my head... on the pitch, he is well known for a serious lack of pace and therefore is most comfortable when defending deep and leaving no space in behind. Even during his best years those Chelsea teams were known for defending deep and being a devastating counter-attacking team. They also relied a lot on the ability of Drogba to hold the ball up while the team advanced from a deep position. I think it was Benitez who said that he couldn’t implement the high pressing style hat he wanted because JT wasn’t comfortable playing higher.
So with all that said, regardless of all other factors, would it be in our best interests to move on from having JT in a full time playing role?

Doubt if we can afford to keep him but all I can say is been a fantastic addition, good leader,good example to the younger pros and despite age put in many good performances. So if this is goodbye thank you very much JT. and I wish you well.

Why did JT come to Villa? from his point of view that is. He certainly doesn't need the cash, and he is not sentimentality attached to us before came. Maybe he wanted another year with his boots on or wanted a challenge, i'm not sure. What really makes sense is that he has one eye on coaching/ managing and working close with a mate like SB would help his transition over the white line. Now is the time to say hang your boots up come on the coaching side learn more and keep helping the likes of Jack and co. He does have a strong mentality and a winning nature and seems to have helped unite the players. Keep him on the books but not as a player.

Terry has got loads of flak down the years but since about the year 2002/3 I've always had a lot of respect for him. Deep down he's a good man. Won't bore you with the details now.
Really hope he stays in some capacity

Thanks JT and sorry to see you go.

Hope to see you back one day soon in a different capacity.

Been great for us this season, was inevitable he weren’t coming back after Saturday’s defeat as we probably can’t afford him anymore. Was nice to see him in a Villa shirt even if it was only for 10 months or so.

Centre half partnerships don’t grow on trees, i just pray there is a better plan than get rid of everyone and hope.

Shame, but no big surprise. I heard he wanted to stay but the financial situation has made it impossible.

Thanks for everything JT, proud that he played for our club. But let's not forget he's 38 next season too.