The Official John Terry Thread | Page 24 | Vital Football

The Official John Terry Thread

I would like if possible from Vital Villa to get a message of thanks to JT. He has been absolutely brilliant and played a big part via hi victory celebrations in getting the players closer to the fans again.

His influence on the players on oand off the pitch has been immense.

I am glad we had this season from him.

I would, and I might just be in a grump because I am feeling rough, like to point out that all this talk of great influences etc might be right, but how many no show games did we have this season? They collectively failed. Cardiff had lesser players/squad to us and are promoted.

I am with SirDen.

In the 30 odd years I have been going the Villa, I honestly don't think I have took to such a signing so quickly. Everyone wondered when it was announced whether this was a jolly, a payday etc... but it was 100% apparent from minute one that he was going to give as much commitment for Villa v Burton as he gave for Chelsea against Barcelona.

This very quickly rubbed off on the rest of the players, and very quickly , onto the crowd. The image of him sprinting at the end of the games to celebrate at the Holte was just magical, considering what he has done in the game, and even though this fairytale didn't end as it should, in years to come, we will see that JT (and Snodgrass come to that) were instrumental in turning this club around and getting it back to where it should be,

I wish him the very best of luck in everything he does, especially, when he inevitably comes back in a few years as the boss !.

JT - no fairytale ending, but a brilliant last chapter of your book.

I would, and I might just be in a grump because I am feeling rough, like to point out that all this talk of great influences etc might be right, but how many no show games did we have this season? They collectively failed. Cardiff had lesser players/squad to us and are promoted.

But there may have been even more no shows if it wasn't for him. You omnly have to read the comments from Grealish and others to show how he has helped raise standards at the club.

But who's fault is that?

yes, maybe sirdennis... my point still remains, I'm not going to be going over board in praise of anyone really, I have no way of knowning if we'd have had less no shows without him, I just look at them all for those (many) games where none of them turned up.

Million $ question Pride.

They'd all get the praise if we had got up, they all surely take some responsibility now we haven't? Owner, CEO, manager, coaches, players.

Too simple to say just one!

Over 46 games (plus 3 ) the table doesn't lie
We were just not quite good enough.
You could argue we had worse luck with injuries etc but that's up for debate .

I think the £3.1m is enough thanks he needs

He did a good job, from the sounds of it had a great influence on the other players but that’s why he was paid £60k p/w. That said it is nice to see a player actually showed they deserve their wage

spot on - the amount of frothing for some decent performances is baffling.
No 60K per week or £2 mill bonus and he's out the door quicker than he's been all season.

Now if he'd said that he'd take a championship wage for one more crack at making up for failure then perhaps some of the nonsense would be warranted - he's £3 mill odd to the good anyway so I suppose he's not that arsed
meh

He could of course have stayed another season and played for free or expenses as apparently money wasn't his main motivation .

Good Luck to him but I'm not going overboard , it's sad time and show just how far we have fallen when we are going overboard about a 37 year old Chelsea has been .
I don't mean that the way some of you will take it either

The 10 games he missed we conceded 0.9 goals a game , won 5 lost 2 drew 3
The 36 he played we conceded 0.916 per game
He did play both games versus the top 3 sides though .

he missed 14 in total (inc sitting on bench at Millwall)
1.75 ppg with versus 1.92 ppg without
W 50% L 25% with
W57% L21% without

In an era and a stage of my life where I have no connection or respect for the modern footballer I can say that John Terry has my respect and thanks. Yes he is considerably richer for a season with us but he could have been earning eye wateringly lots more. I have every faith that over all he came for a challenge in a football sense. I'm not getting all high and mighty but i played centre back for 10 years (when central midfield got to much!) and in my opinion he is up there with the best I have seen in claret and blue. Movement, anticipation and positioning was exemplary.