The Official John Terry Thread | Page 25 | Vital Football

The Official John Terry Thread

Same here Melon, I'm an ex centre half and thoroughly enjoyed watching JT (and JC for that matter) . JT's Reading of the game superb and always looking to push the full backs on. Superb. Pace was the only issue but 95% of time didn't matter due to positional sense and judgement

Glad it was decisive and not a circus. Thanks for the season, now let’s move on and build a side which attacks to defend. Obviously he’s a massive loss at the back but I felt we were too reliant on our defence ironically to keep us in games. Next season looks like we can’t rely on that aspect of our game plan

Instead of all this, "not commited, he's earnt £3.5m, could have stayed for free" crap I think Aston Villa Football Club and it's fans should be indebted to John Terry for the example he has set, for a major contribution in turning the toxic culture at the club around and for influencing other players which I think we may feel the benefit from for years.

Thank you John Terry for your significant contribution to this football club and very best wishes for the future

XV

He already did take a drop on what he could have potentially got to come, so can't disagree on that Xchurch. He has no need to stay for even lower, good or bad, he doesn't owe us anything.

Be interesting what he does. I'd not be surprised to see management or coaching role now. His legs surely can't keep going?!

He'd make a mint in USA or China for a season but not sure that's the sort of guy he is really, he can't be short of a bob or two!

Doubt he will go abroad , kids settled at school etc , I think he can get into management now and work towards the Chelsea head coach role and become their SirAlex

The only issue with JT when he played was pace. I was surprised at actually how good on the ball he was.
Some of the problem with our setup however and being so isolated up front was that JT and JC wanted to defend so deep to compensate for the pace. In turn made the midfield deeper than it should.

A bit of pace at the back the coming season would be a vast improvement. I just hope JT replacement isn't already earmarked as Jedi as if anything he's even slower.

AMS78 I agree mate we must have the slowest CB pairing in the Championship. As I've said all season we defend the edge of out own box which isolates the front players , sorry Player ! They'd both be carved a new one if we didn't play with 9 at the back.

Like others though I do wonder how he would have faired in the premier league relegation battle we may well have been in. Likewise Jedi, Whelan, Snoddy, Elmo, Hutton, Taylor.
Let alone the questionable premier league quality we had in the likes of Hourihane, Adomah, Hogan.
Christ we have issues now but we had high issues turning this lot into a premier league outfit.

Ok though. We are well run now apparently. :silly::bs:

Over 46 games (plus 3 ) the table doesn't lie
We were just not quite good enough.
You could argue we had worse luck with injuries etc but that's up for debate .

Totally agree Silhill - the table doesn't lie, and the three best teams went up.

As for injuries, yes we suffered, perhaps more than others, but according to many (most?) on here, we had the best squad in the League.

Not a chance!! I never bought into that, and so it proved - too many no shows, bottling the biggest games, no one grabbing their chance when they came in for injured players (or at least very few). How many were undroppable? SJ, Chester, Terry, Hutton. Apart from that, wild fluctuations in form, few leaders on the park (despite the supposed wealth of experience).

Hugely disappointing.

Farewell JT. Thanks for a decent season - glad you weren't here for the payday. All the best for future endeavours and will look forward to you replacing Fat Frank on Sky next season.

The defence wasn't our problem. Only Cardiff and Wolves let in less goals. Midfield and attack were our problems. While both Jedinak and Whelan have pluses, the lack of pace in defensive midfield was a killer. Close down attacks we did not, not if the attackers were any good.

Reckon Chester is a better player for playing with JT. If we can find a useful replacement for JT then we can concentrate on a better approach further forwards.

I honestly think he dont need the money and thats why he never went to China or the USA if he were going to go it would have been last season when he walked away as club captain of the English Champions Chelskie.

I would have loved him to do one more season, his ability the marshall the defence is second to none, who know he may return.

In replacing him, how important do we think experience is?
Can a young, upcoming centre half be slotted into a defence that might also be shorn of Hutton?
Plus with a new keeper behind.

I can't see Terry going to Derby or any other championship side as a player, even if it's player coach role.

I think he has done that part of his career with us.

As big a loss as he is in the long run we are better for it and he was always a short term solution.

Plus the voodoo hex everyone who hate Terry were putting on the club has been lifted.

Supposedly off to Derby then to hook up with Fat Frank. Bit of a surprise move for me as well as a few others from the posts above, a slight kick in the teeth going to one of our promotional rivals.

Terry came, saw, almost conquered, and went. That’s it, hardly a hero.