The Official January Transfer Window Thread. | Page 78 | Vital Football

The Official January Transfer Window Thread.

Brian Little replaced the popular Ron Atkinson who then released some of Ron's big-name stars to bring in his own players which at the time he got criticised for so you can never win with some people because football is all about opinions and it will never change.

Last edited:
And when Ron Saunders signed some journeyman centre forward with a dodgy looking beard as a kind of replacement for Andy Gray. If my memory serves me well, the said journeyman, scored 20 goals in the season of 80/81 and shinned a lucky goal in a match against some German team in 82.
Now, I can't for the life of me remember who it was - I must be getting old now.

Charles Charlie Charles one half of the famous Charles brothers ?

Brian Little replaced the popular Ron Atkinson who then released some of Ron's big-name stars to bring in his own players which at the time he got criticised for so you can never win with some people because football is all about opinions and it will never change.

A tiny left back, a bloke who'd played a dozen games for Sheffield Wednesday, a ginger bloke from Derby, a centre half from a relegated team, some Eastern European guy no one's ever heard of and most ridiculous of all trying to turn a reserve winger into a striker. Doomed I tell you. Doomed.

Let's see what today brings but February could be the month when things start to come together. Certainly bolstering the defence is a positive and with Jack back soon, things could be looking up.

Oh - and let's not forget that the great unwashed from Small Heath might get a points deduction this month and that would be a great result!!

This window reminded me of the Doug Ellis days. Linked with plenty of top signings then bought ones off the radar.

Charles Charlie Charles one half of the famous Charles brothers ?
No OVB, I think you have it wrong!! He was either William Williams or Adam Adams. Or come to think of it might be Joe Joseph.......

No.... I was wrong all along, it was Phil Phillips

I will just be glad when Saturday rolls around, as I hate Tuesdays!!

Just winding you all up..... I have a memory like the proverbial elephant and even more so when it comes to the Villa. On a stadium tour a few years back, I left the official guide standing when it came to identifying the faces in the photos on the wall.

I really believe that the good times are coming back and that the current crop of young Villains will be able to have some great memories just like us old fogies that were around in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

VTID
HEITS

I read what Tom Carroll said after signing for us.
He said he'd been aware for some time of a possible deal between Swansea and Villa. He wasn't sure anything would happen because he has only got back from a heavy injury fairly recently.
So it looks as though there may well have been interest in us taking two Swansea midfielders.

The thing that disappointed me most was not signing a proper left back. It's OK saying Mings and hause can play there but it's not their proper position. I refuse to believe that there aren't at least a few dozen left backs in the lower leagues or abroad we could have got in for a million or 2 that would be 5 times better than the level Taylor is operating at currently.

The thing that disappointed me most was not signing a proper left back. It's OK saying Mings and hause can play there but it's not their proper position. I refuse to believe that there aren't at least a few dozen left backs in the lower leagues or abroad we could have got in for a million or 2 that would be 5 times better than the level Taylor is operating at currently.

Yeah said to some mates earlier that I was a bit baffled we didn't sign a 'natural' left back. Hause and Mings may well be left-footed but we are still shockingly understaffed in that area.

That said, I would still rather see Taylor than Hutton in that role if Hause/Mings are not meant for that position.

Not been around for a few days, so serious question without an agenda, anyone got any idea why we have signed a player and then loaned him straight out? Seems in our position a very strange state of affairs. If we were Chelsea I could understand it.

Not been around for a few days, so serious question without an agenda, anyone got any idea why we have signed a player and then loaned him straight out? Seems in our position a very strange state of affairs. If we were Chelsea I could understand it.

It was the only way the deal could be done as Caen want to keep him until the end of the season because they're in a relegation battle.

Probably because we can, I've no idea why we would do that. I'd have thought he'd need time to get up to speed in England not France

Why not keep our powder dry until the summer? Why the rush to spend the cash now, is he that good or do we get a major discount?

Think they checked the wrong box on the online forms and hit ENTER. Then when they pressed the "recall message" button it was too late. That recall message thing never works. You just end up with egg on your face.

I think it was the difference in getting him or not.

I agree if he's that good why miss out, especially as other clubs would have been alerted to his availability.

Who knows - was Peter Withe any better than Andy Gray, or David Platt any better than Steve McMahon or Dwight Yorke any better than Alan McInally.

Only time will tell...

All I know is in 40+ years of following the Villa , it is generally the "big names" who flop and the "who" that do well.
well wouldnt it make more sence to blood our young lions and give them some hope and shouldnt we have called gardner back from the blues

Seems he's a player we definitely wanted and that was the only basis on which Caen would sell him. If we think he's that good then fair enough.

For the moment we have cover in that position. In the summer it gives us better options re whether we let Hutton, Elmo, De Laet and Bree go. My guess is that if Bree does OK on loan it'll be this bloke and Bree next season.