The Official January Transfer Window Thread. | Page 75 | Vital Football

The Official January Transfer Window Thread.

I think it's more that French players should avoid us really. They mostly seem to do well elsewhere.

Really wanted us to get a left back, Mings can play there I suppose but I'm not especially happy at the thought of more Neil Taylor. Mings I think will do well for us. He was excellent I'm this league for Ipswich hence why he got a move to a premier league club. If he's fit and wants to be here he'll only be an asset.

Carroll I know little of but from the sounds of him I think Smith might see him as our Ryan Woods type midfielder who can dictate the play. If he can pass the ball forward quicker than a snail then he's an upgrade on what we currently have.

The French lad I know nothing of. We've plenty of right backs at the moment but do any if us want Elmo here next season? Hutton is out of contract. Bree might be here if he does ok at Ipswich. Hopefully he can be the 1st of a few foreign bargains we get in over the next few years.

We only have these players fir 4 months. It could take the sicknote ones a month to get match fit. By then all could be lost as far as promotion is concerned.
We should have got fit players without a history of injuries, but no it’s the Villa way.
Everything that people say about Carroll just leads me to believe we have signed Chris Packet number 3.
I would rather us have saved our money.

Yeah we should...... like Glen Whelan, Mile Jedinak, Yannick Bolassie, Tommy Elphick, Elmohamedy, Neil Taylor.....

You know, real players real men, premier league players and pay them premier leagye wages - yeah , should have done that !!!

not entirely sure the point that's trying to be made but how are these loans any different to the Bolassie one ?
injured/non-playing & prem money

How much did we pay for SJM ? tbh that's the sort of signing we should be trying to make - ready to start, make an immediate impact and miles better than what we've got - so no need for £30 mill / 70k a week being the only option

oh well - hopefully when a these new lads are ready to start we'll see if they are any better

are the players bought in any beter that the ones we have loaned out ??

Who knows - was Peter Withe any better than Andy Gray, or David Platt any better than Steve McMahon or Dwight Yorke any better than Alan McInally.

Only time will tell...

All I know is in 40+ years of following the Villa , it is generally the "big names" who flop and the "who" that do well.

Transfer windows has been handled badly by both Smith and the board, try and dress up the window how you will but it has been crap and quite frankly embarrassing, people look at our club and think what a bunch of mugs.

We needed players that could walk straight into the team, not ones we have to build up and on top of that injury prone.

I'll try and take my miserable prick hat off for a moment to reflect .
Mings - his physique and size alone is a welcome addition to our mamby pamby defence , Chester afraid of his own shadow needs the captains armband removing and given to Whelan or McGinn or Jedinak even elphick is more vocal.
Kalinic after some shaky games still looks light years ahead of Enckleman's cousin. So positive.
Hause - honestly no idea .
Tom Carroll - panic signing as we missed Fer , not convinced and the Spurs fans comments cement that .

Carroll I know little of but from the sounds of him I think Smith might see him as our Ryan Woods type midfielder who can dictate the play. If he can pass the ball forward quicker than a snail then he's an upgrade on what we currently have.

If we signed Ryan Woods, within a month or two he would be christened the ginger Westwood and be getting dogs abuse on here. I have a bad feeling Tom Carroll will get the same treatment, just without the ginger bit

Who knows - was Peter Withe any better than Andy Gray, or David Platt any better than Steve McMahon or Dwight Yorke any better than Alan McInally.

Only time will tell...

All I know is in 40+ years of following the Villa , it is generally the "big names" who flop and the "who" that do well.
Yes, I remember asking who on earth was Frank Carrodus and Des Bremner. What I would do to see them in the current team.

I'm fine with the signings, as for loans I'd say try before we buy is a sound plan .
Don't know much about the lads but they must be and inprovemnet on what we have.
Although I have this sneaky feeling they'll all be on the bench tomorrow and we will suffer a half fit Chester the hapless Taylor and that arm waving fairy in midfield

This. The signings aren't injury prone. They've been injured. There's a difference. Mings has a good record over the years. Carroll was out for three months (it happens) but had a good record before that. And so on. Believe both Mings and Carroll are match fit. Not sure about Huise. Kalinic no problems.

We must have been keeping tabs on Carroll to sign him so quickly, so not a panic buy. Strikes me he's a Carrick type player, good at getting things going forwards from the back. Good enough to play for Spurs in the Europa League. Don't think we'd have bought him if DS didn't see him as fitting in.

Jack should be back in 2 weeks; he'll get to play with a (ex) Spurs player at last. Should be an interesting partnership; Carroll reduces the need for Jack to drop deep. Then Tuanzebe back in 4 weeks. If we can keep picking up the points in the meantime we could have a very good run-in.

hmm not injury prone
in the last 4 seasons Mings has played a total of 23 games (inc cups)
(that's less than Micah)
He has 8 mins playing time since xmas &
Carroll hasn't played since October (or even in their squad recently) - match fit ?

the way we quickly get players fit and raring to go they've obviously come to the right place.

Still they are here now so we'll soon find out

Carroll is a decent player with some quality on the ball. Hardly a signing that will move the needle though. Same goes for Mings, at least it's a couple of new faces to freshen up the dressing room.

Transfer windows has been handled badly by both Smith and the board, try and dress up the window how you will but it has been crap and quite frankly embarrassing, people look at our club and think what a bunch of mugs.

We needed players that could walk straight into the team, not ones we have to build up and on top of that injury prone.
Disagree

We are a championship club, like or not, and our signings are solid signings for our level. Other teams cast offs or unknown players, it’s the way it is in the championship. We simply aren’t going to sign top players whilst we are in this division. I don’t think other clubs think we are mugs or that we are embarrassing, they thought we were mugs when they ripped us off for £10-15m on all those championship players in the first season but this window we made normal signings for this level. Maybe they will work out, maybe they won’t but at least they have a degree of sense and rationality compared to previous years

The club are throwing their dice at the cheap as chips/we can sign them because they are/have been injured, basically crocks.

The bloke from Forest will welcome them, Hogans space is spare, I bloody hope he has taken his glass ankles with him

There's a lot of miserable pricks on here who seemed to believe every link they read and are also experts in the transfer process.

DS I'm sure has signed who he wanted.
I doubt any signing has been shoved onto him. I trust him well enough to think that he and his team around him have done their homework and got in the players they wanted.
Seems we have a lot of people who are experts on Tom Carroll all of a sudden.

i hear the bleats of "why didn't we get Chalobah" (or any other player we were linked with). The answer is who on earth said we were in for them?!
How do you know that DS went and got exactly who he wanted and is happy with his lot?

Also, to those moaning about why we leave it so late, have a think. Other clubs won't release until they have a replacement. The club selling the replacement may also need a replacement - and so on and so on.
Do you really think DS wanted to leave it until the last minute?

It seems that there are a lot of fans on here with high expectations of who we should get and forgetting where we actually are in the League and where we are financially. Remember - we are a mid-table Championship club.

Stop whining about being "underwhelmed".
What would you rather have - big players that under-deliver or lesser players who may have a point to prove after injury or lack of first team opportunities?
Yeah, cos our previous marquee signings have all turned out brilliantly for us. Name the last player who cost £8m or more that turned out to be a great buy - bet it's over 10 years ago. (I chose £8m which isn't exactly top dollar even 10yrs ago)

Wierd this. People consider our new signings as "injury prone" and "no use unless they can stay fit".

Can I ask the samd people what they think of Jack Grealish ?. Yoh know - missed 4 months of last season, already 2 months of this season.

Double standards me thinks

Yeah, cos our previous marquee signings have all turned out brilliantly for us. Name the last player who cost £8m or more that turned out to be a great buy - bet it's over 10 years ago. (I chose £8m which isn't exactly top dollar even 10yrs ago)

Darren Bent did help keep us up but the way things went for him after his injury probably rule him out. To be honest the vast majority of our signings have been crap these last 10 years, too reliant on one or two stars to keep us going which is why we're in free fall with our best player out. What my hope is that we're now going to try and build a team that can play together. Not just a load of expensive dead weights whose only thought is to get rid of the ball to whoever our star man is.

Last edited: