The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 446 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
One swallow does not a summer make or something like that but I do believe in Smith despite the mixed start to the season.
Recruitment is excellent compared to previous regimes and despite RoK leaving I believe the back room staff is top quality.

Tiny steps are needed.

A great day for the coaching staff as well as the players and Deano got everything spot on from team selection to his substitutions. He could see they were there for the taking and was rightly rewarded for his positive approach. He continues to do a wonderful job, gradually transforming the club and putting us well and truly back on the map.

A great day for the coaching staff as well as the players and Deano got everything spot on from team selection to his substitutions. He could see they were there for the taking and was rightly rewarded for his positive approach. He continues to do a wonderful job, gradually transforming the club and putting us well and truly back on the map.

But has he reached his ceiling? :throw::throw::throw:

Further down the comments on this thread I said that I predicted 5th to 8th before the start of the season and someone said that they hoped I was right but couldn’t see it.
That is fine and it is all about opinions.
However, even without him who cannot be named we are much stronger. The depth in the squad is so much better and the youngsters coming through are something. I was concerned about Jacob Ramsey, but the improvement this season had been incredible.
We are nailed on, in my opinion, for 5th to 8th and these are exciting times. Believe!!

Full credit where and when it's due, after a shaky start the management seem to have created a new era , resolve, determination and the results are showing. Very encouraging

The way we played vs Chelsea twice, Everton and United we have shown we can do it vs the top teams and we no longer go into these games hoping to get a smash and grab win but instead we go toe to toe against them. Our real test which will decide if we are going to do better than last season depends on overcoming our Achilles heel which is the "inferior teams" that we cannot beat like Watford, Brentford etc.

The way we played vs Chelsea twice, Everton and United we have shown we can do it vs the top teams and we no longer go into these games hoping to get a smash and grab win but instead we go toe to toe against them. Our real test which will decide if we are going to do better than last season depends on overcoming our Achilles heel which is the "inferior teams" that we cannot beat like Watford, Brentford etc.

Neither could Liverpool or Newcastle today.

Pleased as all after a pretty poor start to the season which I confess I did write that I think Deano had reached his premier limit and may be gone before Xmas as plan B was not in his thinking. Hopefully he continues with the good selections/ formations as no excuses with the talent he has at his disposal.
Need to keep this going all season with just the odd game defeat every now and then, not a run of 10 or so poor results that cost us last season.
Great result for the club and fans but as stated, this was Smiths day also.👍👍

Good result and performance from Dean and the staff.

It’s starting to look like the problems of the sluggish start and disrupted preseason are being worked through.

Keep it up lads.

The great thing is we have a manager who is showing an ability to adapt and consider different tactics and formations. 4-3-3 or fluid 3-4-3 morphing into 5-3-2 as the situation dictates. Maybe he’s been forced into it by circumstances but he’s taken advantage and it’s paying off.
Obviously, it's all down to Nanny McPhee:fish:

Neither could Liverpool or Newcastle today.

Liverpool aren't like us, in fact I think, we have been the most susceptible to losses against such teams since I have been watching the Villa. Moreover, I would not mind swapping places with Liverpool if it meant losing or not beating the Watfords and Brentfords of the world.

Listening to a few soundbites on the radio from OGS and Tuchel after last night's games and I'm so glad we have Deano as our manager- expectation tinged with realism from him at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.