The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 448 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our progress is staggering really.

I remember being at Sheffield Utd just before Bruce was sacked and we were 4 down at half time and the fans were fighting each other.

Never in a million years would I have thought we would be where we are now , and I am the worlds biggest optimist in all things Villa.
I don't think you can prove that SirDen, I think Silhill runs you very close :lol:

And you seem to have forgotten Holtelower - ever the optimist. And who can forget Aspinal who would literally do anything for a Villa win.

Dean's got a few problems to solve, and quickly.

He's landed on 3-5-2, got two good results and now seems stuck with it - and got unstuck when it didn't work against Spuds yesterday. So what is the formation and approach as plan A? Or is he going to set the team up differently for each opponent based on assessment of their strengths and weaknesses?

His second problem is - how are you going to get your weapons on the pitch and get the best from them. You look at Buendia, Traore and Bailey and think these are the players that are going to make something happen and open up the opposition. His current daliance with 3-5-2 doesn't make this at all easy to fit them in.

And Buendia. You bought him Dean, and paid top dollar, and so far you haven't worked out where to play him, in what system, and got anything like a performance from him. So what was the plan then that you had when you shelled out £40m of the club's money? Because at the moment it looks clueless, and you're using trial and error to try to work it out.

You either have a system that is your signature and buy and coach players around it. Or you choose a system that suits the players you've got and enables you to flex this against each opponent to maximise their effectiveness.

Last season we saw Dean stick rigidly with 4-3-3 despite not having the players to fit that system, now we are experimenting with different set ups but not getting our alleged best players on the pitch.

Time to make up your mind Dean...

For a bit of perspective I just checked the league when Deano took over in October 2018. Teams immediately around us were Millwall, Bolton, Sheff Wed, Wigan, Rotherham.
Fast forward 3 years and, having just thrashed Everton and beaten Man U away, he is being condemned for losing 2-1 at Spurs.
Worth bearing in mind when we are understandably upset at losing.

For a bit of perspective I just checked the league when Deano took over in October 2018. Teams immediately around us were Millwall, Bolton, Sheff Wed, Wigan, Rotherham.
Fast forward 3 years and, having just thrashed Everton and beaten Man U away, he is being condemned for losing 2-1 at Spurs.
if we want to look back We beat Spurs last season

if we want to look back We beat Spurs last season

Yes. So is it unrealistic to expect us to go back there and win again the following season. Which is another bit of some going to far into criticism after yesterday.

When was the last time we went to away to Manure, citeh, spuds, arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea and won two seasons in a row . Just who we are , where we are and its ever thus.
Best not win away at such clubs again because too many can't handle a defeat at a similar club the next game.

Yes. So is it unrealistic to expect us to go back there and win again the following season. Which is another bit of some going to far into criticism after yesterday.

When was the last time we went to away to Manure, citeh, spuds, arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea and won two seasons in a row . Just who we are , where we are and its ever thus.
Best not win away at such clubs again because too many can't handle a defeat at a similar club the next game.
Can't have it all ways mate can't keep saying we are better than Arsenal and Spurs then not expecting to beat them, personally squad wise and club wise Arsenal and Spurs are still better than us but the gap is closing.
We are equally as inconsistent as them is the truth at the mo but over the season they will both finish above us

Can't have it all ways mate can't keep saying we are better than Arsenal and Spurs then not expecting to beat them, personally squad wise and club wise Arsenal and Spurs are still better than us but the gap is closing.
We are equally as inconsistent as them is the truth at the mo but over the season they will both finish above us

As you will know. Not once have I said we are better than them. Closer to Arsenal but a long way from Spurs still .

Spurs keep their best players for a start. How no one else has come in for Son is mystifying.

Straying now so best leave it. :oops:

It's ok saying that but the clubs you state haven't had anywhere near the level of investment we have.

It's ok saying that but the clubs you state haven't had anywhere near the level of investment we have.

The investment question has come up since yesterday . But I would say that we had a heck of alot of work to do when we came up to replace loans, end of contract OAP's and those not good enough. We hadn't done anything to prepare for a season long push to promotion because we did it quicker than expected. We spent a 100 million just to be able to be in a position to scrape survival. And last season we spent to improve. We did. This season was Smith's big season but then things changed in the summer I think.

in the mirror over here, deano says, son beat the villa by himself,, isnt man marking allowed, the only bit of cheer, was from our man hogan who done the business for the neighbours and i think jack must be pinning for the lads, seanie

After all the positivity and harmony on here last weekend, I suggested it would only take a couple of defeats on the bounce for it to be all falling apart again.

Well I was wrong, it only took one defeat!
Far too many over reactions to one result, whether we win or lose.

I can take a defeat provided we played reasonably well but it's the manner of the defeat yesterday that has some people worried that's why we had such a reaction.

As previously said in the match thread you expect the odd player to have an off day but not most of the team at the same time and that can only be down to poor team preparation and not installing the right positive mental attitude to not only start a game well but to then continue it for the whole 90 plus minutes.

All this good half bad half nonsense is not acceptable and shouldn't be at any professional club.

If we hope to realistically finish in the top ten (if not a little higher?) then This inconsistency needs sorting and the reasons why we win a few and then play badly and lose a few.

I can take a defeat provided we played reasonably well but it's the manner of the defeat yesterday that has some people worried that's why we had such a reaction.

As previously said in the match thread you expect the odd player to have an off day but not most of the team at the same time and that can only be down to poor team preparation and not installing the right positive mental attitude to not only start a game well but to then continue it for the whole 90 plus minutes.

All this good half bad half nonsense is not acceptable and shouldn't be at any professional club.

If we hope to realistically finish in the top ten (if not a little higher?) then This inconsistency needs sorting and the reasons why we win a few and then play badly and lose a few.
I wonder if we are more inconsistent than other teams? It's difficult to find other than casual analysis. Consistency should be more achievable over time after the Grealish exit/new players and formation.

Status
Not open for further replies.