The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 445 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody knows Smith's ceiling. With Smith the trajectory with the club has always been up, and there's no reason at present to suppose he's hit the buffers. The "he can't take us on" thing was being said by a few a couple of years ago when we achieved promotion. He did take us on.

There was a reason why we slumped when snake didn't play; the overall quality and the balance in the team weren't good enough. This summer has seen major steps at rectifying that. Let's see where it takes us.

I think we're in the process of finding out what his ceiling is. Fantastic job to get us to this point yes but can he take us up another level? Another few losses and we won't achieve much this season. First ten games can decide your season these days in terms of achieving something or getting relegated and we are bang on for mid table so far. How many mid table finishes will be acceptable with the money being spent?

I think he's done a great job so far tries to play exciting football and its a long way from some of rubbish had to put up with Bruce era springs to mind, the transfers and the youth system are looking better than ever . I always remember his Brentford taking us apart first time we played them entertaining football

Got everything right today and outsmarted Benitez. Best of all, at 2 and 3 nil we kept attacking. Well done Deano
Deano doesn't like playing not too lose. When we were promoted maybe we attacked too much. But now he's got the players to do it, why not?

He's now got players he can bring on and not only maintain but increase pressure.

Deano surprised me with the 3 at the back. The formation sort of worked v Chelsea and no doubt if we had scored one of the many presentable chances in the first half, we may have sneaked a result. The same versus Everton who were relying on Rondon up front, stifled us in midfield and presented nothing to our two strikers.

Interestingly, he has bought players to play 4-3-3 and there is no law against changing formations during a game.

With everyone fit, it will be interesting to see the line up against MAN U.

He deserves credit for dropping Buendia. I respect that decision and think it was an important marker.

I think that was more down to the formation than anything. Though its possibly telling that he chose to bring on Traore at the end when the game was dead instead of Emi2. Personally I'd have stuck Archer on to give him a great atmosphere for his league debut.

Bar injury/concussion, I don't see an argument against the midfield three from the last two games. So the choice is, or should be, 3 at the back and 2 up top or 2 at the back and 3 up top.

Status
Not open for further replies.