The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 421 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No to Nuno yes to Neto.
I do think Nuno shades, Dean, tactically but I wouldn't want us to have to rebuild with half the Portuguese national team and great involved with Mendes not for me Jeff
I get peoples criticism of Dean's lack of plan B but looking at the positives:

He has brought in some cracking players ( only one with a question mark over their heads being Wesley)

He has developed players - Matt Target a great example.

We have a strong youth structure in place.

We have seen glimpses of a fantastic, attacking Villa side - just need consistency.

A great team spirit.

The futures bright - trust in Dean.

I read a quote on the socials earlier from a usually reliable source (they stick the quote on a fancy image), it’s Dean Smith saying something along the lines of “the owners are disappointed with the performances since the turn of the year” with Deano acknowledging we need to improve tactically.

For those of us who find ourselves in the middle of the Deano or not Deano debate, acknowledgement of tactics and needing to improve was music to my ears.

Last edited:
In theory it's meant to be a really flexible system, with us able to play short or long going forward and becoming a compact 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 at need in defence when the press doesn't work. It does ask more from the players though in terms of recognising when to do what so as the players improve (or get replaced) it should cover nearly all of our bases.

This season has been really interesting in being able to hear the constant instruction from the manager on when to press or hold.

When I look across the vast majority of the individuals within the squad, I see improvement. Some of them have improved massively. For me, the primary role of any coach is to get the very best out of the players he is working with. So, Dean Smith definitely should take great credit for that.
He has given young players opportunities and has not been afraid to make changes/replace players who are under-performing. Playing Elmo in the final games of the season would have been the sentimental thing to do, but by playing what he saw as his strongest available defence, he has sent a message that he isn't afraid to make tough decisions.

It’s pretty obvious I’m a fan of Dean Smith but he has his faults which have sometimes been laid bare this season and discussed umpteen times on Vital over the past 30 months. I think Dean yesterday admitted himself that he has to improve as a coach as well as the players so I’m pretty sure he knows what areas he needs to develop. If he doesn’t, that’ll be his undoing in terms of being the man to take the club to the next level. From bottom half of the chumps to promotion and staying up, albeit by the skin of our teeth, followed by a 20 points increase this season and climbing to 11th place, really isn’t too shabby a record is it? He’s got slaughtered by one or two this year...some of it completely over the top for me and a few others but I think the majority can appreciate the terrific job he’s done thus far whilst also being aware of his weaknesses and genuinely hoping that he can improve the aspects of the job he often gets criticised for. That said, if he was sacked tomorrow, could we have made a better appointment in October 2018? I don’t think we could. Absolutely the right man at the right time and hopefully more of the right stuff to come.

I think as much as we can fault Dean for his tactics or lack of, and his decision not to use subs as much as we think he should, there’s a thing to be said playing without Grealish.

I believe with Jack in the side we were picking up on average 1.78 points, compared to 0.92 when he was out of it, our winning percentage was 57/58% with Jack in the side, 21% without him.

It’s clear as day we need players who can take the load off, it’s been a learning curve for the whole team, for individuals to stand up and be counted, which didn’t happen but slowly started to see more positive performances, our drop against Crystal Palace was unacceptable, Jack in the side we beat Spurs and Chelsea, just his mere presence gives the lads a lift.

You could say Jacks been carrying the team, and since we have a 37% more chance of winning with him in the side, or picking up 0.86 points more per game he becomes irreplaceable, 1.78 x 38 is 67 points.

Without him 35 points and we’re relegated.

He is literally the difference of 32 points, It then becomes more of a Jack Grealish discussion than a Dean Smith one, and the crying need to get real quality to take the pressure off him and the team, be it Buendia, Pereira or some flaming hot prospect in Europe who’s clubs would love 40-50m in their pockets who would be worth twice as much in the Premier League.

He can be frustrating at times, but we’ve had a couple of unexpected results at the end and it’s finished it off quite nicely, let’s see who he’s able to bring in the summer, see if the recruitment team really know their shit who apparently are all into their data analysis, so it’ll be interesting.

For now, Deano we trust.

McNulty's review.

Villa went into a decline towards the end of the season, not helped by an injury to Jack Grealish, but make no mistake this was a huge improvement on surviving on the final day of the previous Premier League campaign. Real progress.

Manager Dean Smith was heavily backed by his board and smart recruitment, especially in the shape of keeper Emiliano Martinez and striker Ollie Watkins, means there was plenty to admire this season. And who can forget that sensational 7-2 win over reigning champions Liverpool at Villa Park?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57143846

yeh we have had plenty to moan at, but for all the inconsistencies , if we ( only) had another 4 wins, we would have been in the battle for the top 4, just thinking of the soft points we let go and also the points we deserved from the top teams, we live in hope, be prepared, seanie

McNulty's review.

Villa went into a decline towards the end of the season, not helped by an injury to Jack Grealish, but make no mistake this was a huge improvement on surviving on the final day of the previous Premier League campaign. Real progress.

Manager Dean Smith was heavily backed by his board and smart recruitment, especially in the shape of keeper Emiliano Martinez and striker Ollie Watkins, means there was plenty to admire this season. And who can forget that sensational 7-2 win over reigning champions Liverpool at Villa Park?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57143846

Then read his love-in over Leeds. Makes you sick.

We didn't go into decline. We had a rough patch. That's all.

A disgrace of a Dub but wonderful to see the pain:lol:

To be fair he does eventually take it better!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.