The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 422 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s pretty obvious I’m a fan of Dean Smith but he has his faults which have sometimes been laid bare this season and discussed umpteen times on Vital over the past 30 months. I think Dean yesterday admitted himself that he has to improve as a coach as well as the players so I’m pretty sure he knows what areas he needs to develop. If he doesn’t, that’ll be his undoing in terms of being the man to take the club to the next level. From bottom half of the chumps to promotion and staying up, albeit by the skin of our teeth, followed by a 20 points increase this season and climbing to 11th place, really isn’t too shabby a record is it? He’s got slaughtered by one or two this year...some of it completely over the top for me and a few others but I think the majority can appreciate the terrific job he’s done thus far whilst also being aware of his weaknesses and genuinely hoping that he can improve the aspects of the job he often gets criticised for. That said, if he was sacked tomorrow, could we have made a better appointment in October 2018? I don’t think we could. Absolutely the right man at the right time and hopefully more of the right stuff to come.

Fair comment mate.

Dean to be the next Pope then...................;):rotfl:

Hopefully he will be our manager for a long time , it's a perfect fit , he may need to get some better people around him though or learn from past mistakes . We've got some very good players who will be peaking in the next couple of seasons, be nice if we could lift some silverware even if it's the league cup.

The one thing about Dean Smith's Villa that strikes me is the reaction from outside of Villa. Can't count the number of times that I've had people say to me recently that they really enjoy watching Villa, and they seem to have a general feeling of admiration for the way we play. The last time we got those types of comments from neutrals was back in the BFR days..... It all stems from his refusal to just stick ten men behind the ball for 90 minutes against the so-called big-six. His belief that a lead should be built upon, rather than defended is refreshing. Not too many managers out there with that rather refreshing, positive approach.

The one thing about Dean Smith's Villa that strikes me is the reaction from outside of Villa. Can't count the number of times that I've had people say to me recently that they really enjoy watching Villa, and they seem to have a general feeling of admiration for the way we play. The last time we got those types of comments from neutrals was back in the BFR days..... It all stems from his refusal to just stick ten men behind the ball for 90 minutes against the so-called big-six. His belief that a lead should be built upon, rather than defended is refreshing. Not too many managers out there with that rather refreshing, positive approach.

Yes he just needs to learn when it is time to shut up shop and stick 9 behind the ball

Of the 10 teams above us we've beaten 7 at least once this season, only failing against MU, MC and Hammers. When was the last time we did that? We beat them because we set out to beat them; Liverpool was a prime example. Long may it continue.

The stars aligned that night against Liverpool but it does go to show that there is a great tactical mind, man-manager, and motivator in there.

It's a very low bar to set up a team to be organized and not be beaten. Its quite another to set out to win games without just hoping to knick a goal.

I think there is definitely more he can do with game management such as setting out to frustrate a team in the early stages and then push forward to attack. Or even in a tight game to be a little more cautious as the game wears on. I admire the trust he has in the lads and his own gameplans but sometimes he has let games slip.

Just read that Dean Smith has now been a football manager/head coach for 10 years and has not as yet been sacked.....in the modern era that’s pretty impressive isn’t it no matter what level you’re operating at?....Especially for someone who is so clueless and out of his depth... :grinning:

Constant upward curve and we have to hope we see another few notches next season as well as it means we'll all be smiling again.

Just read that Dean Smith has now been a football manager/head coach for 10 years and has not as yet been sacked.....in the modern era that’s pretty impressive isn’t it no matter what level you’re operating at?....Especially for someone who is so clueless and out of his depth... :grinning:

That's really something. He's lucky to have John Terry there to tell him what to do.

I've heard the same things from my mates. They obviously didn't watch the Palace game.

Status
Not open for further replies.