The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 423 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To put it in perspective, even Pep gets it wrong sometimes. Sometimes massively so! In Dean's case in spite of the odd possible mistake the trajectory over the season has, with us, always been upwards.

To put it in perspective, even Pep gets it wrong sometimes. Sometimes massively so! In Dean's case in spite of the odd possible mistake the trajectory over the season has, with us, always been upwards.

Not this year, which was a worry - for all of us, surely - but then the last two wins put the momentum going into the summer, back into the positive vibe and it does make a difference all round.

A La Burnley
Strange that after 25/30 mins the opposition managers sussed us and tweaked their game. Two games to learn from, perhaps realise the opposition have changed the system and adust our own game to retain the lead. Like we did at Leeds , got in front early then made them work and not get into the basketball game these sides like.

Strange that after 25/30 mins the opposition managers sussed us and tweaked their game. Two games to learn from, perhaps realise the opposition have changed the system and adust our own game to retain the lead. Like we did at Leeds , got in front early then made them work and not get into the basketball game these sides like.

Ferguson never changed the game against anyone. He had belief in his system. Made subs yes, but he had the players for him to do that.

Ferguson never changed the game against anyone. He had belief in his system. Made subs yes, but he had the players for him to do that.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't - and we'll never know if changing the system would have worked out differently. I think as we get more quality in the squad, there will be more scope to make subs (earlier) to influence the game, but I think you're correct McP, managers generally have unshakeable belief in their system and must believe that it's down to the players execution.

Italia 90, Bobby Robson was forced into a back 3 for some reason that I can't remember and that worked out fine, but it wasn't by choice.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't - and we'll never know if changing the system would have worked out differently. I think as we get more quality in the squad, there will be more scope to make subs (earlier) to influence the game, but I think you're correct McP, managers generally have unshakeable belief in their system and must believe that it's down to the players execution.

Italia 90, Bobby Robson was forced into a back 3 for some reason that I can't remember and that worked out fine, but it wasn't by choice.
Think the squad were badgering Bobby to go to a back 3

I think Dean has shown he's a little more flexible than given credit for. He modified his 433 into a 4231 to fit Barkley which initially worked. Stoke away prior to the 10 game run he finally played a 442. He also initiated a 3 man backline to try shore up the defence last season.

I don't remember the analyst but someone said something very profound about OGS when Woy beat him in a game a season or two ago. Ole has no experience to draw on, when things get tough a young manager will resort to chopping and changing trying to make it work. They don't have the experience like Woy who knows when something is actually wrong or when its just a bad patch. Woy has confidence in his methods and when he hits a rough patch he'll make small tweaks not big bold changes. Thats why Frank got the sack, chopped and changed every week. It doesnt work.

Dean knows when something is wrong and he's very pragmatic. Dean knows his players, as much as I was one for giving Davis a go Dean probably knows the best the lad can do is be an impact sub. I am in the camp with everyone who says maybe should have tried 3 at back and 2 up top without Jack. At the same time our midfield is that weak and our attack so inconsistent I am sure putting more defenders on the pitch would help.

What's the betting we finish above them next season?

I'll be very surprised if we don't eclipse them by 10 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.