The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 349 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t go in for advocating getting rid of managers because I haven’t got a clue who to replace them with but I wonder how Leeds managed to find Bielsa and persuaded him to join a Championship club. Likewise Southampton when they scooped Pochetino. How many managers of that quality are out there waiting to be signed up by clubs of our calibre? And who are they? Genuine question because I don’t trawl the European leagues looking at the managers outside the big clubs.

I get that you’re in the Smith camp, but some of the questions I get asked on here are laughable, who do I think should be manager? I’m unsure that even if I had a manager in mind how that would make any difference to our owners, and now you want a number off me that I think the players should be in?
I’ve given the reason I don’t think Smith is the right man for us, it’s now upto you to give me why he is, not ask silly questions.

I'm not in anyone camp I'm a Villa fan, not a Dean Smith fan. Just strange people want him sacked after what he's done so far but can't come up with a viable option

I wonder how Leeds managed to find Bielsa and persuaded him to join a Championship club. Likewise Southampton when they scooped Pochetino. How many managers of that quality are out there waiting to be signed up by clubs of our calibre? And who are they?

I don't keep up with it as much anymore, I think maybe we could persuade the guy fro RB Leipzig to join. He's the hot new manager but rumor is fat frank will be sacked and Chelsea will take him (look at all those Germans).

I think we would have all baulked at Poch signing for us when Southampton took him. He didnt do a whole lot with the likes of Espanyol when he managed them, Cortese at Southampton knew what he was doing.

I definitely think we could have had Bielsa, I do agree that we havent shown enough ambition.

Mings was pretty rotten today and Cash was awful, second game in a row for Cash, more question marks about him than most of our other summer signings.

All the hallmarks of someone who was decent at Championship level but is in trouble at this level.

There's a lot of that around at the moment - players and staff ...

Yes, it is Deans to sort out. From what I've heard the keeper cannot be blamed for any of the goals, so who in the defence and midfield is not doing their job properly or is not upto it? January is not that far away we may be able to strengthen, but will the owners want to see a bit more from a coaching point of view.

I honestly wouldn't give DS another penny to spend.

Let's see if it's tumbleweeds in the transfer market in January - the gig is up if it is IMO.

I suspect it's just time now - as it always is with any manager of course but we need to start putting the feelers out for the likes of Poch right now IMO.

I honestly wouldn't give DS another penny to spend.

Let's see if it's tumbleweeds in the transfer market in January - the gig is up if it is IMO.

I suspect it's just time now - as it always is with any manager of course but we need to start putting the feelers out for the likes of Poch right now IMO.

I thought we had a very good transfer window, didn't you?

As for Poch. I would be amazed if he would consider Aston Villa at the moment.

Mings was marking the space where the goalkeeper was standing. You know, just in case the goalkeeper keels over and dies as the ball is played in.

Mings regularly marks fresh air, he plays with the mentality of a sweeper sometimes where he expects everyone else to mark.

The disallowed goal at the start set the tone and yet there’s absolutely no in game management or leadership to change it.

I’ve no doubt the players work on set pieces a lot as we seem very regimented - the problem is Soton haven’t been at Bodymoor all week telling us what they are going to do.

It’s really bad when, as Melon says with his kids team, I captained a couple of sides and after the first corner even us amateurs knew what to do and who would mark who. Konsa and Mings being in positions which mean their heels do not leave the floor because they have been taken out by the cross is not good enough.

Dean Smith thread and he needs to sort the above or he’ll dig his own grave. I’ve seen very average managers dedicate a lot of time to set pieces - MON seemed to - I remember seeing Collins and Dunne win us points from being so solid at the back in the air.

As for Poch. I would be amazed if he would consider Aston Villa at the moment.

Massive club, amazing facilities, fantastic stadium, great (albeit starved of success fanbase), billionaire owners, history/heritage/prestige. A 'project' where if a manager finally gets things right, he'd be lauded as a great.

However, it will be too late, I think the summer was the time to try (might fail, I don't know the bloke or have any knowledge, but people said Ancelotti wouldn't go to Everton and Benitez wouldn't stay with Newcastle in the Champ) ...

:thumbup:

Poch is the special guest on Monday Night Football tomorrow.

Massive club, amazing facilities, fantastic stadium, great (albeit starved of success fanbase), billionaire owners, history/heritage/prestige. A 'project' where if a manager finally gets things right, he'd be lauded as a great.

However, it will be too late, I think the summer was the time to try (might fail, I don't know the bloke or have any knowledge, but people said Ancelotti wouldn't go to Everton and Benitez wouldn't stay with Newcastle in the Champ) ...

:thumbup:

I've often read that Pochettino thrives on a project and there can be few bigger than Aston Villa and everything you state above.

The only problem is he could already have privately been approached by Man United or some other big team in the Premier League as this article indicates?

Former Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino waiting for Premier League job, says Jan Vertonghen

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...-new-job-latest-manchester-united-b33234.html

I've not posted on 100% for hours because I'm so bloody angry.

I think it has to be said, Smith has taken us as far as he can go. Nice fella, Villa supporter and all that, but this cannot go on. We've improved the squad we need someone with a good bit of nous, footballing brain and coaching ability to get the best out of the squad we have. Currently, I don't feel that is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.