The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 350 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What we need is consistency. In the 8 matches before Leeds we were getting it, possibly for the first time for years.When you get a match like Leeds you'd think the first thing to do is analysis it, work out where the weaknesses were, and rectify it. Today had the feeling that that hadn't happened, that it was just written off as a bad day at the office and we'd just go again.

I'm not calling for DS's head; he takes the credit for those 8 matches. But, even if he doesn't carry the can for the last 2 matches (and maybe he should), he does have the responsibility to put things right.

What we need is consistency. In the 8 matches before Leeds we were getting it, possibly for the first time for years.When you get a match like Leeds you'd think the first thing to do is analysis it, work out where the weaknesses were, and rectify it. Today had the feeling that that hadn't happened, that it was just written off as a bad day at the office and we'd just go again.

I'm not calling for DS's head; he takes the credit for those 8 matches. But, even if he doesn't carry the can for the last 2 matches (and maybe he should), he does have the responsibility to put things right.

Yep everything is down to the head coach, not Craig Shakespear when we win and Dean Smith when we lose the buck stops with Dean

My dissatisfaction with Dean Smith, his tactics and management isn't just about the first 6 games of this season, It includes last season when for a large part of the season we were awful.

Sure we had a good ending and of course, I'm pleased we stayed up under Dean but let's not forget just how close we actually were to going down by being out-thought and out-fought for the majority of the season yet Dean continued with the same tactics that clearly wasn't working and which for me, started my doubts about him.

Lot's of people who now defend his management on here were during that awful run of defeats, finally starting to agree that his time was up. I think the Covid break in football saved him from the sack and credit to him that he used the time to see and analyse where things were going wrong and changed the team's style. The only problem is in the last 2 games we have gone backward to resemble last season's failures.

I've given praise when it was due to Dean & Co and likewise, I will criticise when things aren't right.

People say judge him after the first 10 games of this season and I think that's fair comment so it's over to you Dean to get this team playing within themselves and confident in the tactical instructions you are giving them on a consistent basis?

Last edited:
Because of the good start, we are still in a good position. i think our fears are that the wheels are starting to come off, so Smith needs to show he has what it takes to get us back on track, It worries me that other teams have now sussed us out and we don't seem to have anything else to offer when things are going wrong, we just carry on and hope things improve. The bench should be there to offer something different, there is nothing there that does that.

so you want to sack a manager after he's won 4 out of 6 games, you really need to take more water with it

if a better manager is available don't you take the chance to improve ?

sitting pretty at the right end of the table is a far better place to recruit from than when we revert to the mean. We won't of course but then maybe after 10 games it doesn't look so good (and get Big Sam on standby) and then by the jan transfer window - well it's a bit late etc

Massive club, amazing facilities, fantastic stadium, great (albeit starved of success fanbase), billionaire owners, history/heritage/prestige. A 'project' where if a manager finally gets things right, he'd be lauded as a great.

However, it will be too late, I think the summer was the time to try (might fail, I don't know the bloke or have any knowledge, but people said Ancelotti wouldn't go to Everton and Benitez wouldn't stay with Newcastle in the Champ) ...

:thumbup:
Yes you would think if that was all he had to consider you would be right, but, We are a recently promoted side that only just stayed up last season on goal difference. Before that we spent several years in the Championship, and are expected to be fighting not going back there this season. Before that we struggled for the best part of decade to stay in the Prem and were a terrible side for years and run like a basket case. Add to that the last time we won anything or competed in Europe I was a young man and I am not now. So I say again dreams of Poch are just that, why would he come to us?

I can't carry on defending Smith to people who just want him gone, so I'm not going to. Personally I think he has done a very good job as Aston Villa manager, but there are those who will never rate him, and that's fine. I hate this modern football fan mentality of sack the manager every time the team has a bad performance. Fortunately I believe the owners know what they expect from their investment, and where they expect the club to be. They seem to be realistic, unlike many fans, and will give Dean the time and resources to continue to progress the team, something he has managed to do consistently since he came. So I will put my trust in the owners, they are the ones who will know when it is time to replace Smith, personally I hope it is in many years time because that will mean he has been very successful.

If we want to be brutally honest with ourselves, if Poch is available I feel compelled to go get him. Do we all remember this? I personally was outraged at the time. Didn't work out too bad though did it.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/21079956

Southampton chairman Nicola Cortese said in a statement: "This decision has been made with the long-term ambitions of Southampton Football Club in mind.

"Whilst we acknowledge the contribution Nigel has made during the past two years, for the club to progress and achieve our long-term targets a change was needed.

"Mauricio is a well-respected coach of substantial quality who has gained a reputation as an astute tactician and excellent man manager.

Cortese was a ruthless MF

and I do rate Dean, I think he's done fantastic and I am happy to see him continue.

I think the obvious answer is Poch has gone past taking a side like VIlla, he is looking for a regular European qualifying club.

I think the obvious answer is Poch has gone past taking a side like VIlla, he is looking for a regular European qualifying club.

Well he's hanging on for Ole to have a really bad run or maybe fat Frank
other than that ?

and realistically what do you think constitutes progress for the owners given the level of investment so far ?

other than that ?

and realistically what do you think constitutes progress for the owners given the level of investment so far ?
other than that ?

Where we are, do you not think we are progressing? Do you think we are going to get relegated this season? Is not the squad stronger?Do you think we should beat every team we play? As for Poch he will be enjoying his gardening leave, so don't worry about him I'm sure Spurs are still paying him.

Where we are, do you not think we are progressing? Do you think we are going to get relegated this season? Is not the squad stronger?Do you think we should beat every team we play? As for Poch he will be enjoying his gardening leave, so don't worry about him I'm sure Spurs are still paying him.

the 'do you think we should win every game' is bullshit tbh -
do you think we should compete, look well organised and match the workrate (at least) of other teams in every game ?
Mostly we aren't that good despite the time and money spent - it would be nice if the imagined improvement is something more than good fortune and wishful thinking but time will tell.

The improvement is in points. 12 of them in six games, something that took 13 games last season. Improved shots and possession in games, Improvement in defending, improvement in quality of the squad. In fact just about any measure we have improved on last season. Teams have poor games and poor runs, and I don't want to upset anyone but the next game is going to be a very big challenge as well, and if I had to put money on it I would say we will lose. But the improvement by any measure is indisputable.

Status
Not open for further replies.