The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 348 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To make matters worse we had the warning of the disallowed goal.

As I said these things set the tone . You simply have to set the stall out early.

This honestly isn't wise after the event but I knew we were going to concede from that free kick. We had started in such a terrible way.
Offside by about an inch. Adams had the freedom of the six yard box. Embarrassing.

From the first 4 games we could tell we had enough for a decent season. If we carry on playing the same way. Ultimately, it's DS who has to carry the can, and that's the way it should be. It's not JT, or Shakespeare, or the players. Sort it, DS.

Yes, it is Deans to sort out. From what I've heard the keeper cannot be blamed for any of the goals, so who in the defence and midfield is not doing their job properly or is not upto it? January is not that far away we may be able to strengthen, but will the owners want to see a bit more from a coaching point of view.

Yes, it is Deans to sort out. From what I've heard the keeper cannot be blamed for any of the goals, so who in the defence and midfield is not doing their job properly or is not upto it? January is not that far away we may be able to strengthen, but will the owners want to see a bit more from a coaching point of view.
Mings was pretty rotten today and Cash was awful, second game in a row for Cash, more question marks about him than most of our other summer signings.

Mings is not the player that many seem to think he is. Appalling whenever he actually has to engage and truly defend. He may be a good organizer, but good teams will always get past/behind an organized defence eventually, and that is when you need to be able to do some basic blue-collar defending. Mings has never been able to do it.
Many people disagreed with my rating of Cash last week, yet this week he was exactly the same - constantly out of position and having to rely on recovery tackles and fouls...

Mings is not the player that many seem to think he is. Appalling whenever he actually has to engage and truly defend. He may be a good organizer, but good teams will always get past/behind an organized defence eventually, and that is when you need to be able to do some basic blue-collar defending. Mings has never been able to do it.
Many people disagreed with my rating of Cash last week, yet this week he was exactly the same - constantly out of position and having to rely on recovery tackles and fouls...

Yes he was Freddie reincarnated today

Smith's decision to exclude Angela from the squad is all well and good because he isn't good enough, but it leaves us with no depth or competition in the advanced midfield positions. Barkley and McGinn know it. They can be as lazy and passive as they want, knowing that Hourihane is the only player in the squad that can replace them.

Smith's decision to exclude Angela from the squad is all well and good because he isn't good enough, but it leaves us with no depth or competition in the advanced midfield positions. Barkley and McGinn know it. They can be as lazy and passive as they want, knowing that Hourihane is the only player in the squad that can replace them.
In all fairness I think a cardboard cut out of Lansbury would be every bit as effective. He really isn't competition at all, just a non-entity.

Last edited:
Smith isn't a bad manager but he isn't a good manager either and my own opinion is he hasn't got the managerial tools within him to improve to the level this league demands.

At times I can't be bothered to read this Dean Smith thread anymore because it's just people with the best of intentions, but nevertheless, just rehashing the same comments both for and against.

All I will say is what I said last October 2019 that as good and a smashing guy Dean is, he is out of his depth at this level that's why he continues to have no real influence on the players or has the managerial skills to tactically change a game when things are going wrong.

I don't watch his post-match interviews anymore but from what I have briefly seen in some comments on here you would think sending the players out onto the pitch with a tactical match plan and firing the players up was the responsibility of Doris the tea lady and nothing to do with me guv.

My apologies to Doris the tea lady.

Last edited:
In all fairness I think a cardboard cut out of Lansbury would be every bit as effective. He really isn't competition at all, just an non-entity.

I fully agree with Smith on this one , just a shame he hasn't promoted Ramsey to the bench as I see that lad as an enthusiastic option which we don't have on the Bench at the mo

Yes, i think a spell on the bench if your not playing well is a good thing, Trez seemed to up his game a bit after losing his starting place. don't see it doing any harm, just makes you think your place is not guaranteed unless you perform..

That can’t really be your argument surely?
No but you can't name a single manager with PL experience, who's any better, I've tried mate, they are either on the slide or unproven in the PL. We not getting Klopp or even , Mourinho, we don't want sam or the clown at West ham do we so Dean in his second season is as good as any of the also rans

I get that you’re in the Smith camp, but some of the questions I get asked on here are laughable, who do I think should be manager? I’m unsure that even if I had a manager in mind how that would make any difference to our owners, and now you want a number off me that I think the players should be in?
I’ve given the reason I don’t think Smith is the right man for us, it’s now upto you to give me why he is, not ask silly questions.

I get that you’re in the Smith camp, but some of the questions I get asked on here are laughable, who do I think should be manager? I’m unsure that even if I had a manager in mind how that would make any difference to our owners, and now you want a number off me that I think the players should be in?
I’ve given the reason I don’t think Smith is the right man for us, it’s now upto you to give me why he is, not ask silly questions.

It’s been like this since Dean started. Most of us know he’s very far from being basic and competent at this level, but the price of criticism appears to be naming a replacement. Sorry but it’s not. A lack of conjuring up an alternative doesn’t make Dean any better at organising and drilling the team or getting anything like a coherent team performance from last years players or this years players.

I said it in the matchday thread, I just get the impression that we are hyper-focused on what we're going to do with the ball. I don't think we modify our defensive approach to games. I think our biggest failing which was massively exposed by Leeds is the transition from losing the ball to playing without the ball.

No but you can't name a single manager with PL experience, who's any better, I've tried mate, they are either on the slide or unproven in the PL. We not getting Klopp or even , Mourinho, we don't want sam or the clown at West ham do we so Dean in his second season is as good as any of the also rans
I’m not sure that will do us in the long run, and I’m hoping that the ones who do this job for a living will have some names floating about.

Status
Not open for further replies.