The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 347 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was one with my criticism, hence today's job about treating Leeds in isolation when it came to DS's own changes and what he can't be blamed for etc.

No point in that though, if you're a calmer voice as the likes of me get the red mist you're a balance. It's a forum, it's what we do. It's football and life GM - I remember watching England at work and having to hastily repair a cupboard I kicked in when Sol Campbell had a goal disallowed (whilst keeping up with my job).

We all lose it, might as well lose it as mates!
Trust me, my red mist is as bad as anyone. I just tend to recover from my hangovers (eventually) and be able to look at the bigger picture. Even when Lambert was at his worst I tried to look at everything (shit owners, shit director of football/recruitment, overweight lazy centre-forward, Petrov getting leukemia etc.), as I still believe that everyone is accountable on both ends of the scale. Sack the manager just tends to be the "easy" solution. Ask ManUre fans since SAF retired!
There have been plenty of times post-match that I've said the manager needs to be sacked - even when the great Ron Saunders was leading us towards becoming the greatest Villa team of the 20th century... Shows what an idiot I am... :slap:

We have improved and been improving ever since Deano has walked through the door and when you consider the player turnover and the fact that we are pretty much rebuilding the club from the youth set up upwards , something that he plays a big part in , then I have no complaints. Like all managers there will come a time when he reaches a glass ceiling and we will part ways but I don't think it is near yet.
This is where I think some people don't appreciate what Smith has actually done there's no doubt we weren't expecting promotion when Smith walked through the door we needed to build in the Championship like Wolves and Leeds did but we produced an incredible run of form and got promoted.Then we had the closed season to scramble together a full team for a very unsympathetic league and we did.Then this is where Smith showed his naivety and got it absolutely wrong by trying to win every game with a very inexperienced and maybe a little below standard prem team.But when he realised this a little too long probably due to stubbornness on his behalf but by being more pragmatic we were really a total different team altogether if we had adopted that approach from the start I reckon we would never have been in a relegation scrap we would have been down there but always surviving in my view.

I expect Dean Smith to be at Villa longer than Bielsabub is at Leeds.
Yeah. It's a very thin line between praising a manager for making a tactical substitution after 20 minutes, and lambasting a manager for the same.

A few bad results and he'll have plenty of time to sit on his bucket at home and learn English.

Where are the Dean Smith fans, I need them to reassure me again that he’s the right man for the job :throw:

My jaw is still on the floor after seeing the tactical genius decision of McGinn v Jolly green giant .

Staggering. Absolutely staggering..

When I coached my lads team at around 11 years of age I didn't need to tell them any more who to mark as even kids of that age know it's biggest players v biggest players.

My jaw is still on the floor after seeing the tactical genius decision of McGinn v Jolly green giant .

Staggering. Absolutely staggering..

When I coached my lads team at around 11 years of age I didn't need to tell them any more who to mark as even kids of that age know it's biggest players v biggest players.

I wonder who thought that up JT or Shakespeare?

They need sacking whoever it was.

Unforgivable. Set the tone for the defeat. These things matter early in games.

Yep McGinn should be on the edge of the box or a post but not marking a giant CB. I've noticed in earlier games that there is often a mismatch. trez marking tall players. Our team is pretty short in general but Barkley is 6ft 2 and McGinn what 5ft 7. I haven't studied it as to who was marking who as I never really want to watch us lose again . I bet Mings was marking space as normal?

To make matters worse we had the warning of the disallowed goal.

As I said these things set the tone . You simply have to set the stall out early.

This honestly isn't wise after the event but I knew we were going to concede from that free kick. We had started in such a terrible way.

Yep McGinn should be on the edge of the box or a post but not marking a giant CB. I've noticed in earlier games that there is often a mismatch. trez marking tall players. Our team is pretty short in general but Barkley is 6ft 2 and McGinn what 5ft 7. I haven't studied it as to who was marking who as I never really want to watch us lose again . I bet Mings was marking space as normal?
Mings was marking the space where the goalkeeper was standing. You know, just in case the goalkeeper keels over and dies as the ball is played in.

Status
Not open for further replies.