The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 17 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a good feeling about this. They're all coming across very well, not talking about the previous manager in any bad way, talking up the quality in the squad. They all seem very excited and eager

Agree with you 57, without wanting to sound like an after match Steve Bruce press conference, we've lost just 3 games, the same as Sheffield Utd who are currently top.....it's the draws that are killing us ( not to mention the turgid, uninspiring football we've played in the process) so if we can turn some of those draws into wins we'll be there or thereabouts'.....sorry couldn't resist that one....and top two shouldn't be discounted either just yet. If we can throw some attractive football into the mix with a clear plan/philosophy/style of play I think we'll all be happy with that. I remember the days of BFR, Sir Brian and JG with so much affection.....managers with the Villa in their DNA...going forward with a bit of unity is something we've lacked for many a year, it reappeared for 18 months with Martin O'Neill but there was something special about the decade of the 1990's when Villa was run by Villa men...I do so hope Dean Smith can re-create that sense of togetherness which we all felt in abundance in those days. They seem such a long time ago after the horrendous last 8 years but the appointment of Deano could just be the first step in helping the club to reignite. If he succeeds, being 'one of our own' will make our success feel that bit more special. Here's hoping!
Swani

Deano Deano
Deano’s The Boss and he’s one of us. Deano........

1-Walsh.jpg

Disappointed Dean Smith thinks he has time to moonlight on Doctor Who.

Nothing to do with Dean Smith but as the feel good factor is creeping back enjoy. I was there with our kid, quality.

I reckon that no matter how shit our defense is, we have the firepower in our squad to score more than we let in more often that not. I have a sinking suspicion that we'll absolutely start demolishing some teams in December, once we get Smith's system in place. Welcome, Dean! UTV!

Thats the hope we've literally no other option.

It's not going to happen overnight and particularly with some of the players we have in this badly assembled and unbalanced squad.

Personally, I am prepared to wait until next season to give Dean Smith & Co time to settle in, sort things out like drilling into the players the new system required (although it's not rocket science and any decent player should be able to quickly adapt) then hopefully move on the players not required and bring in the ones he wants to set us up as he requires.

It's time for us to show patience and let them build new a new Aston Villa both on and off the pitch but sadly, that doesn't seem to be a quality a lot of people have these days?

I wish you well Dean Smith and sincerely hope you will be given that time and patience.

Up The Villa.

It's not going to happen overnight and particularly with some of the players we have in this badly assembled and unbalanced squad.

Personally, I am prepared to wait until next season to give Dean Smith & Co time to settle in, sort things out like drilling into the players the new system required (although it's not rocket science and any decent player should be able to quickly adapt) then hopefully move on the players not required and bring in the ones he wants to set us up as he requires.

It's time for us to show patience and let them build new a new Aston Villa both on and off the pitch but sadly, that doesn't seem to be a quality a lot of people have these days?

I wish you well Dean Smith and sincerely hope you will be given that time and patience.

Up The Villa.
Can't quite agree with everything you say TH. Yes time is an issue, yes some rationalisation of the squad is necessary, but DS's remit should be to improve the players we have, tweak one or two positions, introduce the youth, make them a team. I don't want to see 5 or 6 loans or purchases in January, otherwise it will block routes to the first team and bloat our squad. We are already struggling to offload some players, hence the number of senior pros loaned out.

Eden's has been quoted as evolution, not revolution. I am fully on board with this as it will be sustainable, but I do expect an improved product on the field within the first couple of weeks. Organisation with a purpose - if I see that I'll be happy and results will follow.

"Dean Smith has decided to ditch the traditional approach of using a regular captain on matchdays at Aston Villa.

The new boss wants a ‘leadership group’ rather than an individual who players turn to in the time of need, so he will instead select a skipper on a game-by-game basis.

James Chester, who returns to the squad tomorrow after a one-game ban, will remain the ‘club captain’ but there will be a greater emphasis on his team-mates in the times ahead.

“Sometimes by naming a captain you end up missing people who can take responsibility and have leadership qualities you don’t tap into,” he said.
“You have your captain and end up speaking to him and trying to relate to players.
“I don’t want a team of players. I want a team that are all leaders."

Article: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sp...s/dean-smiths-aston-villa-revolution-15297153

A good move. I'm fine with Chester as a defender but don't think he influences games as whole. We need people further up the pitch grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck, and it helps if they have some encouragement to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.