The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 16 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems to have been planned a month ago, a couple of references to a hectic last 30 days and Deano smiling or was it just me missing something?
Think we all knew something was happening when all the scouting network and such were fired and it was about this time when Bruce started blaming every one for his own short comings. So I would imagine that's when Bruce knew he was on borrowed time.

Best lines from the press conference from both Smith and Purslow “we are a championship club and have to earn the right to promotion.” “No more talk of it’s our right or we belong in the premier league.”
To me, that immediately sets the right mindset with those players....it’s a polite way of saying “you ain’t been good enough and stop acting like big time Charlies.”

Also liked Smith's words about Terry - clear aim of where he wants to go, so will be involved and can learn but equally he can learn from Terry's experience of working with the gaffers he has.

Thought it had a nice balance to it as opposed to the 'billy big' my way or highway routines we normally see.

So after the obvious rubbish questions from the assembled media what came out of most interest was Purslows answer on FFP, no problems apparently so lets not go on about it.

Smith is used to a 3 coaching staff so JT will be the Thomas Frank role. It looks like the owners are started to get their feet under the table, Purslow gives a very professional look about the set up with Dean being able to concentrate on the coaching side with the arrival of Jesus Garcia Pitarch.

We have seen many false dawns but this one has a more rounded credibility not being reliant on dictatorship or a good contacts book or a quick quip of charisma. We can learn a lot from Brentford and I feel confident for the first time in a long time.

To celebrate this new dawn i've changed my avatar from the cowardly lion to a snazzy motif i got from some talented fan on twitter (cant remember name sorry). UTV

It's actually the understated way today played out that I liked most if that makes any sense.

Even the Smith answer to promotion - basically, I don't see why not, we're not that far off BUT......not a shit or bust response.

Just a simple, it's there we'll aim for it but we've got work to do, let me get on with the work.

Smith on Terry, he'll learn loads, but I plan to as well.

Even Purslow's FFP/finance answers were quietly confident, but not actually promising the world - you more took from it what you wanted to I guess.

Cock off JPA!

Old Trin, the kid in a sweet shop was obvious and he was bubbling but it was like he parked it when the questions came, time to do me job now I'll go back to be a fan girl in an hour, kind of thing. I liked that as well.

I actually thought someone might have suggested, 'so, do we get Heskey and Gabby back lads' by now.

Impressive first news conference from Dean Smith as well as Purslow. Calm, measured and a clear vision of where we're going both on and off the pitch. That's something we haven't been used to....can't wait for Saturday!

[B]Aston Villa FC[/B]‏Verified account @[B]AVFCOfficial[/B] 11m11 minutes ago
More
We can confirm that Richard O’Kelly has joined the club as Assistant Head Coach
270d.png
#PartOfThePride #AVFC

View attachment 29516

Spitting image of Scottish comedian Fred MacAuley.

Spitting image of Scottish comedian Fred MacAuley.

Also spitting image of a friend of ours in Manchester who erm supports Utd.

Also I am quietly confident that the circus is finally leaving Villa Park as we seem to finally have all the right people in place. As one of our owners is from The U.S I thought this was very apt Circus leaving town.jpg

Good news about FFP too! I think we maybe able to stop holding our breaths waiting for the next stormNew York Times.jpg

Not going to lie, after a week of being linked to every Johnny Foreigner under the sun, when I heard the news that we appointed Dean Smith, I was a bit underwhelmed. That said, the more I read/watch about the man, the more I realize this was the right decision and completely understand why we brought him on board. I can't wait to see what he'll do with the squad at his disposal this season. I reckon that no matter how shit our defense is, we have the firepower in our squad to score more than we let in more often that not. I have a sinking suspicion that we'll absolutely start demolishing some teams in December, once we get Smith's system in place. Welcome, Dean! UTV!

Status
Not open for further replies.