The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 14 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I second that bikini. Best appointment we could have made, a relatively young manager on the up, not some old has been or some inexperienced flash herbert sorry meant Henry.

So long as this season brings the smile back to our faces, it'll be good enough. Deano may not get us promoted this season, it may take longer, but if he can change the style of play, get the underperformers back to where they should be, and start bringing the U23s on board we'll be going in the right direction.

Bruce sorted out a lot of the poison which was hanging around from relegation, but we haven't really moved on football-wise from where we were two years ago.

What do you think Deano will do about the loanees?

Difficult one. You can't build the future on loanees. The loanees are potentially keeping players out of the side who might well improve considerably if given the chance by Deano. Hogan is an obvious case of one who could well shine under his management, as he has before. The loanees are potentially a barrier to squad development.

If I was him I think I'd try to give the whole squad equal opportunity, which means not playing the same squad every week. I'd also try to give the U23s opportunities, which also means some senior players playing less. After a bit of time I'd be inclined to not to use loanees unless they really did provide something extra. The loanees and their parent clubs wouldn't be happy, but they shouldn't get in the way of developing players we have on the books.

Smith has a difficult balancing act to do.

Difficult one. You can't build the future on loanees. The loanees are potentially keeping players out of the side who might well improve considerably if given the chance by Deano. Hogan is an obvious case of one who could well shine under his management, as he has before. The loanees are potentially a barrier to squad development.

If I was him I think I'd try to give the whole squad equal opportunity, which means not playing the same squad every week. I'd also try to give the U23s opportunities, which also means some senior players playing less. After a bit of time I'd be inclined to not to use loanees unless they really did provide something extra. The loanees and their parent clubs wouldn't be happy, but they shouldn't get in the way of developing players we have on the books.

I cannot see him taking some young loanee from Man Utd and playing him in front of our own youngsters like Bree. I think there will and should be a balance FFP may figure in this though. If we do not have the money to sign someone may be a case of loaning lets say an experienced CB or goalkeeper,if our youngsters are not ready to step up.

An interesting point, Abraham is definitely blocking Hogan and Davies. If we had no chance of getting up there is no point in keeping him, if we do though and he is the better player then I think we should play him. I wouldn't have loaned him in the first place, especially with FFP restrictions but now we have him....

Moriera is a complete waste of time, if we can send him back we should. Whether we should keep El Ghazi and Bolasie depends upon the system Smith plays and again I'd adopt the same principle as Abraham. There is no way that Tuanzebe should ever play RB for Villa again if Bedeau is not ready yet though we don't have much another choice than to play him at CB, until Jan at least. I doubt Clarke would be the answer yet and he'd probably benefit from a full season at Vale playing every game. Suliman should be about ready for the step up though you'd hope.

Moving forward though I definitely don't like all these loans and think we should only take one or two a season if it's for a position we don't have any good Senior or potential youth players for and can't afford to buy someone for that position. Otherwise, as you say they are just blocking the development of our own squad.

I second that bikini. Best appointment we could have made, a relatively young manager on the up, not some old has been or some inexperienced flash herbert sorry meant Henry.

This sums it up for me - generally, people wanted us to take an ambitious gamble rather than go for the steady options such as Moyes / Allardyce etc. And that is what the board has done - young, unproven at a big club BUT with a track record that suggests he might be up to it rather than a ‘name’ with no experience.

Am I missing something here? Why are we writing this season off with 75% of it still unplayed?
I'm fully expecting Deano to turn these draws into wins, otherwise, what was the point of sacking Bruce.
There are currently about 4 teams who have no chance of the playoffs and we aren't one of them.

Overall a good article. But how does he know we had a scattergun approach to the recruitment of a new manager? We might have but if you looked at the press coverage, and boy did I, they evidently had no clue as to what was happening. The announcement came within 24 hours of the great Tierrie Henry is coming, on no he isn’t stories. There must have been a few days discussion with Smith, so I doubt the press were anywhere near to the truth behind what was happening.

Like many I am sick of pundits who haven’t seen us play that often casting judgement on the sacking of Steve Bruce. Unfortunately a nice guy who’s time has gone. He’s not adapting to the modern game and from the interviews I saw has a fixed mindset with little chance of changing. Erratic decision making particularly in the close season. I appreciate it was a difficult time but he should have been more savvy about who to keep and who to let go.

Rant over.

March ffp 2019. We will get clear picture. Smith is here cause he can get best outta nothing mentality. We have 2 years more of rearranging. He will have limited budget. Once we outta the mess of years of idiot owners. Once we get a big budget again, I really can't see Smith being manager. The macro at last is In place. Smart owners with real money. The future is bright.

I saw that article yesterday and the only thing I agreed with was his comments on Grealish.

4-4-2? He's obviously never seen us play.

:stupid:

Disagreed with virtually everything said in the article.

It was said that Bruce was exactly the same manager as he was at the end of last season, in spite of which he got the sack. It was precisely because he was that same manager, indeed the same manager as he's been over the last two years, that he got the sack.

It was said that if the owners wanted something different they should have sacked him in the summer. That ignores the lack of time, and also the willingness of the owners to at least give Bruce a chance, in a time of turmoil.

It was said that the owners lack a clear idea of what they want. In terms of the structures and personnel they've brought in they know exactly what they want. The choice of shortlist was held up as an example of lack of direction. On the contrary they had four good candidates all of whom fitted in with the structures the club now has.

And so on. Don't think I've read an article which so misfired for a very long time.

Am I missing something here? Why are we writing this season off with 75% of it still unplayed?
I'm fully expecting Deano to turn these draws into wins, otherwise, what was the point of sacking Bruce.
There are currently about 4 teams who have no chance of the playoffs and we aren't one of them.

Agree with you 57, without wanting to sound like an after match Steve Bruce press conference, we've lost just 3 games, the same as Sheffield Utd who are currently top.....it's the draws that are killing us ( not to mention the turgid, uninspiring football we've played in the process) so if we can turn some of those draws into wins we'll be there or thereabouts'.....sorry couldn't resist that one....and top two shouldn't be discounted either just yet. If we can throw some attractive football into the mix with a clear plan/philosophy/style of play I think we'll all be happy with that. I remember the days of BFR, Sir Brian and JG with so much affection.....managers with the Villa in their DNA...going forward with a bit of unity is something we've lacked for many a year, it reappeared for 18 months with Martin O'Neill but there was something special about the decade of the 1990's when Villa was run by Villa men...I do so hope Dean Smith can re-create that sense of togetherness which we all felt in abundance in those days. They seem such a long time ago after the horrendous last 8 years but the appointment of Deano could just be the first step in helping the club to reignite. If he succeeds, being 'one of our own' will make our success feel that bit more special. Here's hoping!

The fundamental issue that needs urgently addressing is the defence and keeper situation. It will be interesting to see what DS does in this respect.

Haven't been on for a while so here's my tuppence worth.

Excited to welcome DS - the type of manager we should be appointing. He turned things around at Walsall very quickly and continued with the Brentford philosophy and turned them around from a post Warburton blip. I don't get "he's never managed a big club". Can name countless successful managers at bigger clubs who had never managed at that level. A good head coach with a simple message will organise these players. With JT, who knows most of the characters, I expect immediate improvements. The season starts at Xmas. Stay in touch until then and we can push for promotion. I can see a very different team and set up from the off. The defence can be improved.

In short I think this is a progressive move that will pay dividends. The product on the pitch will improve as well. Double training sessions for everyone please. Let's rock this division with the roar of 40k supporters every week. Time the Lion bared it's claws.

Got to hope all this good will for dean smith is well placed. Because in 3 months we could all be calling for him to be sacked. And has for John terry being there as well it's got all the making of a two camp set up let's hope l,m way off and it all goes well

Got to hope all this good will for dean smith is well placed. Because in 3 months we could all be calling for him to be sacked. And has for John terry being there as well it's got all the making of a two camp set up let's hope l,m way off and it all goes well
Positivity OMB, positivity. I know it's hard sometimes, but you are catastrophizing - focusing on the worst possible outcome.

Old football adage - one game at a time. Building blocks is what we need, 1, 2 or 3 positive results will be the bedrock for success.

Status
Not open for further replies.