The Michael Beale Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

The Michael Beale Thread

I do wonder how this "Michael Beale the genius" thing got started. I'd imagine he is just an important cog but a replaceable one.

I saw a clip of an interview with Emi1, who credited Beale with being very knowledgable and also involved in everything such as training and tactics.

As Head Coach/Manager or whatever his job title is, Stevie G needs to allow talented people within his management team the opportunity to influence the playing set up so I think there’s maturity and leadership on Gerrard’s part to do that.

However, the watch out is that it all falls apart if Beale leaves, as Stevie G has to be more hands on or has to trust others stepping up or bringing in to replace him.

I hope Gerrard has a lot more substance than just a manager brought in for signing high profile players and an extension of big name players to attract TV revenue, with others potentially being the brains behind the operation - so I guess we’ll find out.

Agree completely that no one is irreplaceable. Fergie had a new assistant every 4-5 years it seemed and that paid dividends.

Last edited:
Fergie has a new assistant every 4-5 years it seemed and that paid dividends.
4-5 years is a lifetime in EPL management , Beale has been here barely 8 months and it looks like he's off. Ok we didn't exactly set the world alight so it might be a blessing. Equally it could get worse. These Alonso rumours are interesting, seems a paygrade below him though unless these are the building blocks for the Liverpool FC future team

I saw a clip of an interview with Emi1, who called credited Beale with being very knowledgable and also involved in everything such as training and tactics.

As Head Coach/Manager or whatever his job title is, Stevie G needs to allow talented people within his management team the opportunity to influence the playing set up so I think there’s maturity and leadership on Gerrard’s part to do that.

However, the watch out is that it all falls apart if Beale leaves, as Stevie G has to be more hands on or has to trust others stepping up or bringing in to replace him.

I hope Gerrard has a lot more substance than just a manager brought in for signing high profile players and an extension of big name players to attract TV revenue, with others potentially being the brains behind the operation - so I guess we’ll find out.

Agree completely that no one is irreplaceable. Fergie has a new assistant every 4-5 years it seemed and that paid dividends.

Gerrard also has 4 or 5 years working with him now too so I am sure he has learned plenty from Beale and vice-versa. I think Beale stood to learn far more from SG than the other way around. I would be pretty confident Gerrard knows how he wants to play and Beale helped guide that vision on the training ground as well adding his own spin on it.

Beale is 41, its not like he's some veteran of the game either. In terms of professional coaching and management he has as much experience as SG. The one balancing thing we'll miss with Beale is that he was nowhere near good enough to be a professional footballer. And in many way he's probably more related than Gerrard to some of these players. Some of them are never going to have the career he had, most arent fit to lace his boots.

Like the Gerrard appointment, I'd be intrigued by this if true. Alonso is another " winner " and was one hell of a player.
One thing that's stuck in my mind over the years is a write up on his Liverpool debut when he was given 10/10 and the writer stressed- during his time on the pitch Alonso did not give the ball away once.
He's had 3 years as assistant so isn't exactly new to coaching and was part of a great Spanish side in their heyday, so should be able to coach our players into being able to pass the ball to one another.
Like Gerrard ,time will tell , but I guess we'll have the usual Liverpool old boys stuff churned out and the " why isn't it someone with Villa links?" but our manager wants people who he's comfortable and confident with and will live or die by those decisions.
Hopefully it's the start of the Villa revolution and resurgence and will see us ruffle the feathers of the big boys starting next season.

Despite the poor results last season and tactics, I do worry a bit if Beale does leave because he is an experienced coach who can deal with senior pro's (unlike Danks it would appear).

I saw an interview with the ex Rangers player Peter Lovenkrands and he said that Beale's training sessions were excellent and the players always wanted more, I also watched one of his coaching voice videos about his philosophies in coaching and he came across as super knowledgeable, some of the stuff that he talked about like around giving players clarity and a purpose to get them to perform could even be used in some peoples day jobs. He seemed to know his beans.

I guess Gerrard has experience in the form of McAllister and he's been coaching for a while, I do hope he's able to attract a top top borderline elite coach for the backroom should Beale leave, I'd feel much more confident if he did.

To be fair Alonso has been managing a team in the 2nd tier of Spanish football for the last 3 years so I'd say experience wise in terms of managing and coaching senior pros he's up there with Beale and Gerrard.

Obviously not the Beale deal then. Alonso would be interesting, he'd probably still get into our midfield as well.

I read the other day Beale had no intention of leaving, have I missed something?

Saw that about Alonso following Villa on Instagram too, you have to say it's weird timing, there is something in these things sometimes.

Despite the poor results last season and tactics, I do worry a bit if Beale does leave because he is an experienced coach who can deal with senior pro's (unlike Danks it would appear).

I saw an interview with the ex Rangers player Peter Lovenkrands and he said that Beale's training sessions were excellent and the players always wanted more, I also watched one of his coaching voice videos about his philosophies in coaching and he came across as super knowledgeable, some of the stuff that he talked about like around giving players clarity and a purpose to get them to perform could even be used in some peoples day jobs. He seemed to know his beans.

I guess Gerrard has experience in the form of McAllister and he's been coaching for a while, I do hope he's able to attract a top top borderline elite coach for the backroom should Beale leave, I'd feel much more confident if he did.

I gather that Beale started coaching at 24, so he has 17 years experience as a coach, including his 6 months or so in S America. So in terms of years he has far more experience than SG or others mentioned. To some extent though there is the old saying: has he had 17 years experience or 1 year 17 times?

To me the point is: good management teams often benefit by being freshened up and never believe that the guy leaving cannot be improved upon. The replacement may have diferent key skills and so other strengths.

Isn't Lange supposed to be continually checking for replacements in the event of a vacancy? So we'll see who has the most power if and when a vacancy becomes due.