The Jacob Ramsey Thread | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Jacob Ramsey Thread

I agree he's improved.

I agree he now needs taking out as he's simply not impacting or affecting games.

'Great start to the season' is a massive stretch though. He's done nothing special at all.

He's young, and he's a prospect but he's been our worst midfielder and I care more about the team and the results than one player.

We often see the game very differently but I agree with you. Being neat and tidy and not making many mistakes is fine but you want players who have an impact on the game and Ramsey hasn't done that yet.

Two weeks ago he was being hailed as a good player, a defeat at Spurs and he's doing nothing and crap again. The whole team were crap at Spurs except Martinez.
Play station generation fans are obsessed with stats and his numbers, same fans who thought Grealish was shit because he didn't get enough "assists" .
All we need to know is he's keeping our record signing out of the team because he's doing better than him in training.

He is completely Meh for me.. And always said that to be fair Bar one very good performance against Newcastle this season I cannot really think.of anything else he has done apart from neat passing and running which at this level sinply isn't enough.

Not writing him off , not saying he will or won't work out but as it stands don't see a great deal that excites me to be brutally honest.

He is completely Meh for me.. And always said that to be fair Bar one very good performance against Newcastle this season I cannot really think.of anything else he has done apart from neat passing and running which at this level sinply isn't enough.

Not writing him off , not saying he will or won't work out but as it stands don't see a great deal that excites me to be brutally honest.
Not saying he's a world-beater but he's keeping Buendia who apparently was the second coming of Messi out of the side So he must be doing something right , he's don't as well as Luiz or McGinn which isn't hard this season I suppose

I thought he was excellent at Chelsea as well , but since then his form has tailed off a bit and that is why I think giving him a break would do him good.

As I said before he is improving for the experience and I still get the feeling there is a lot more to come from him.

Two weeks ago he was being hailed as a good player, a defeat at Spurs and he's doing nothing and crap again. The whole team were crap at Spurs except Martinez.
Play station generation fans are obsessed with stats and his numbers, same fans who thought Grealish was shit because he didn't get enough "assists" .
All we need to know is he's keeping our record signing out of the team because he's doing better than him in training.
More advanced midfielders who contribute little going forward, strikers who don't score goals, is this an older generation thing? Whilst stats can get a bit OTT there's nothing wrong with observing basic ones relevant to players in particular positions.

He just looks like a basic player who will be good to have in the squad at this stage. He doesn't do a lot wrong and is a good athlete but doesn't really excel at anything in particular either.

More advanced midfielders who contribute little going forward, strikers who don't score goals, is this an older generation thing? Whilst stats can get a bit OTT there's nothing wrong with observing basic ones relevant to players in particular positions.
Yes just that older and wiser one day you will be the same, I knew everything at 28 and at 60 released I knew fuck all when I was 28.

I dunno mate, I like my forwards to score goals and more advanced midfielders to create chances, it's not rocket science.

Exactly it's not any science it's football. Measuring some metrics is ok but measuring the wrong ones to prove a player is good or bad is pretty silly.
Like the barmy stats SKY come up with.

I dunno mate, I like my forwards to score goals and more advanced midfielders to create chances, it's not rocket science.
In fairness to Ramsey, the flat midfield three have each played as more old school all-round midfielders, taking up respoinsbilities for defending and attacking depending on the situation. Some of his pressing and winning the ball back has been excellent, his progressing with the ball at his feet up the pitch looks like a real strength and his passing has been good.

That said, his performance against Spurs was poor and, just as he's kept Buendia out when playing well, he should now make way for Buendia to get a run together.

I'd settle for a midfielder who could pass the ball to someone in the same colour shirt for the vast majority of the game

In fairness to Ramsey, the flat midfield three have each played as more old school all-round midfielders, taking up respoinsbilities for defending and attacking depending on the situation. Some of his pressing and winning the ball back has been excellent, his progressing with the ball at his feet up the pitch looks like a real strength and his passing has been good.

Thats how I see it too, he's playing deeper like an 8, not as a #10. When you look across the premier league not many sides have centre mids who pick up the ball and run with it. YKW was lambasted for not being the final passer of the killer ball, for having no end product and eventually for not scoring enough goals.

For a 19 year who cost us nothing I think he's doing really well. I agree that he needs a break, he still has a lot to learn and a lot of consistency to build but all the signs are there for a decent player. I see shades of a quicker, more athletic and just generally better James Maddison. Thats who he reminds me of. We'll be doing alright if he turns out to be that good.

That said, his performance against Spurs was poor and, just as he's kept Buendia out when playing well, he should now make way for Buendia to get a run together.
But to me they are completely different positions, Buendia is simply not a central midfielder and never will be. It’s the 5-3-2 which needs to go before Ramsey.

Thought I'd bump this thread seeing as Ramsey seems to be getting a bit of stick on the match thread and probably rightly so for the needless tackle for their winner but to say he's useless is a bit over the top.
I watched him very closely playing for England u21s the other night and he played really well. Comfortable taking the ball under pressure, crisp passing to feet, 1-2s,driving runs and creating chances. Yes it was against similar age players but I'm wondering if he's playing within himself for us and always taking the safe option so he doesn't get lambasted or being told by the coaching staff to play that way.
The kids got talent, still young and learning and if allowed to play his natural game will only improve over his Villa career.
What we don't want is for any of our promising youth to be turned into identical automatons with their enthusiasm and flair slowly bled out of them to satisfy the somewhat stagnant version of football we're seeing nowadays.
The point to somewhat prove this is Grealish, yes I mentioned his name :ban:he's gone from exciting maverick to just being another soulless player to please the likes of Pep and Beaky.
Don't let this happen to our players by getting on their backs when they make a mistake or have a poor game, it'll happen, as they progress. In the long run it'll benefit us as a club not just for the " I want it,and I want it now!" brigade but for everyone involved.
Anger at a loss is understandable but let us try and be patient with our youth after all as someone once sang- " I believe the children are our future "