The Jacob Ramsey Thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Jacob Ramsey Thread

I think he put in a man of the match performance.....for Wolves. We seriously need to add another coach to the staff to teach our players how not to be stupid.

Just my opinion . I have no problem going out on a limb here.

I don’t think he is anything special at all, i don’t think he is good enough for a supposed top 6 -8 side. And I don‘t think he will make it long term with us.
Nor will any of them except Konsa and Martinez, the very fact he's forced his way into the side shows how good the rest really are,

I don’t think he is anything special at all, i don’t think he is good enough for a supposed top 6 -8 side. And I don‘t think he will make it long term with us.
We aren't a top 6-8 side though . Where's the relevance

I’d think the 6th-8th idea is a figment of the imagination of some of our fans, I seem to remember that position ranking highly on a poll on here. It was never realistic.

I probably don’t disagree with you that it’s unlikely he’ll making into a top 6-8 regular starter, but to make it to a top 6-8 central midfielder you have to be a very good player. Steven Davis is/was very good player but he never made it past mid table clubs. I can only think of Barry who made it near the top (albeit he wasn’t strictly home grown).

I think he’s grown and done much better this season, at times we’ve been reliant on him driving us forward but it’s not a basket I want to stick all my eggs as I think he found a bit of short term form but isn't consistent and shouldn’t be expected to be either.

I think he’ll develop into a decent player at recycling the ball, keeping shape and contributing to the build up. I was half hoping he might develop into an Ian Taylor type chipping in with his fair share of goals but he hasn’t scored if my memory is correct.

I don’t think it’s fair to write him off as he has developed and grown this season, equally I don’t get where the expectation is that he needs to become the Iniesta or he’s nothing. He could have a very good career with us as a squad player if we get back into Europe, every squad needs those players.

We aren't a top 6-8 side though . Where's the relevance

The relevance is that we are trying to get there aren’t we?. Hence me saying supposed . And some, not me , were saying we were stronger going into this season.

I‘m saying we won’t with a novice and ineffectual Jacob Ramsey . I am not saying we are a top 6-8 side. Do keep up.

The relevance is that we are trying to get there aren’t we?. Hence me saying supposed . And some, not me , were saying we were stronger going into this season.

I‘m saying we won’t with a novice and ineffectual Jacob Ramsey . I am not saying we are a top 6-8 side. Do keep up.
Let's not make a kid your new scapegoat though hey . Easy target

So back to Jacob Ramsey. I am not scape goating him at all . I just don’t think he is very good. I take it that is allowed. Funny how some accuse others of the very thing they do themselves. That is so hypocritical.
Not once have I accused Jacob of being the reason for our poor displays.

Ramsey is another Westwood type of player and yesterday was certainly not the game for him to be involved in. He looks busy but achieves very little which is why I call him a crisp packet. Yesterday was the ideal game to bring Sanson on but the idiot who makes the decisions chose otherwise and Ramsey with the stupid foul at the end, lost us the game. I will be shocked if this kid makes the grade.

But even if he's a decent PL squad player then that's a pretty good output from the academy. Not everyone is going to be a Grealish, the fact he's the first £100m British player shows just how unique he was. It wasn't that long ago people were bemoaning the club for releasing the likes of Daniel Johnson and Callum Robinson, even more recently Callum O'Hare and Ramsey is clearly a step up from them.

I don't think Ramsey is a natural superstar but he could develop over time to be a competent PL player and nowadays those are £20m+ players. He's still yet to turn 21 so still very young and deserves 2 or 3 years in my opinion. People also questioned whether Grealish would make the grade until about 3 years ago where he suddenly shifted up several gears... even some of the best take their time to get to that level.

Last edited:
But even if he's a decent PL squad player then that's a pretty good output from the academy. Not everyone is going to be a Grealish, the fact he's the first £100m British player shows just how unique he was. It wasn't that long ago people were bemoaning the club for releasing the likes of Daniel Johnson and Callum Robinson, even more recently Callum O'Hare and Ramsey is clearly a step up from them.

I don't think Ramsey is a natural superstar but he could develop over time to be a competent PL player and nowadays those are £20m+ players. He's still yet to turn 21 so still very young and deserves 2 or 3 years in my opinion. People also questioned whether Grealish would make the grade until about 3 years ago where he suddenly shifted up several gears... even some of the best take their time to get to that level.

Has done well so far this year and his game has progressed. Naive tackle but look no further than the back five for lack of composure which cost us.

Doing OK for his age, but as of now he is not a PL quality player who should be starting every game. Certainly when we have talent overflowing on the bench which can make a real difference in games.