The Jacob Ramsey Thread | Page 5 | Vital Football

The Jacob Ramsey Thread

Smith clearly rates him and he has a pretty good opportunity to get a run of games now given injuries.

I was wondering yesterday whether he’s one of those players who excels in training, and that’s why he gets good minutes considering where he’s been at on the pitch so far - which hasn’t set the world alight. Fingers crossed he can push on with us

I was wondering yesterday whether he’s one of those players who excels in training, and that’s why he gets good minutes considering where he’s been at on the pitch so far - which hasn’t set the world alight. Fingers crossed he can push on with us
No I think he's a typical young lad he's come into a team and was in awe of things, now he's thought" you know what I'm better than some of these stars" and started to play his game and not give them the ball all the time

There were times yesterday where Ho made the initial interception or run and then seemed a tad lost for what to do next or the energy or confidence to go to the next stage. Takes time & experience I guess.

Watching him though raises the question how many young players can a team bring through in a season? Of course that’s determined by the quality and develop each player but is there ever likely to be room for more than 2 or perhaps 3?

This is a youngster that Villa have invested a lot of time and money in, and to be over critical of him after only 20+ games seems a bit harsh.
Villa must like what they see in the lad because Smithy keeps selecting him in some form or other.
Think he is growing in confidence and it would be a shame to not give him every chance to stake a claim.

I think the challenge for any youngster coming into the team is the instant expectation that he has to be as talented as biscuit shins. I think he's already shown that he belongs at this level.

The club has invested heavily in youth which has to be the way to go with these daft transfer fees banded around these days. I hope this lad will be the first of many to make the grade. Now he is finding his feet he is beginning to look the part.

The lad played well and you can’t fault his work ethic. No doubt he’ll have poor games like all young players but the signs are good and he’ll save us money in the long run,

This is a youngster that Villa have invested a lot of time and money in, and to be over critical of him after only 20+ games seems a bit harsh.
Villa must like what they see in the lad because Smithy keeps selecting him in some form or other.
Think he is growing in confidence and it would be a shame to not give him every chance to stake a claim.

I think we have to have much more perspective when looking at a lad like Ramsey.

First of all he's not useless, he's actually been quite competent and not looked out of place. Maybe he hasn't shown a lot of quality and he obviously has a long way to go but he has been pretty solid and steady. He has come into a decent couple of games and made a difference. He's given us extra physicality and intensity when it has been lacking.

He needs 50/60 games before to really see where he might go. I think its a huge achievement for the lad to have surpassed Hourihane, be a better option than Marv and to oust Barkley. You can't fault his application.

I think we have to have much more perspective when looking at a lad like Ramsey.

First of all he's not useless, he's actually been quite competent and not looked out of place. Maybe he hasn't shown a lot of quality and he obviously has a long way to go but he has been pretty solid and steady. He has come into a decent couple of games and made a difference. He's given us extra physicality and intensity when it has been lacking.

He needs 50/60 games before to really see where he might go. I think its a huge achievement for the lad to have surpassed Hourihane, be a better option than Marv and to oust Barkley. You can't fault his application.
I would just add to that CDX and say that all the time the lad is getting experience at the highest level he is building a transfer value in the event he doesnt, for whatever reason, make it with us, so good business aswell.