The Jacob Ramsey Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Jacob Ramsey Thread

Leicester had a 19 year old starting at left back and Barnes who scored came through their academy a couple of years ago too, maybe we should not be afraid of giving out youngsters ago too - there is a space for Kane Kessler at right back with Cash out, and in midfield Ramsey surely deserves a go over the misfiring Barkley. If Ramsey wasn’t going to get a fair shot he should have been sent out on loan to play week in week out in the championship for some vital experience.

Leicester had a 19 year old starting at left back and Barnes who scored came through their academy a couple of years ago too, maybe we should not be afraid of giving out youngsters ago too - there is a space for Kane Kessler at right back with Cash out, and in midfield Ramsey surely deserves a go over the misfiring Barkley. If Ramsey wasn’t going to get a fair shot he should have been sent out on loan to play week in week out in the championship for some vital experience.
The only useful thing left of this season is to try a few things out now and start prep for next season. Some of the youngsters should be given a go. There is no point playing anyone now who won't feature next season - Barkley, Elmo

He brought more energy and drive in his substitution appearance of 15 minutes than Barkley did in 65 minutes.

I know who I'd prefer to start against Leeds but will Dean smith's stubbornness mean yet another undeserved start for Barkley while a home-grown Villa man wanting to bust a gut for the team starts on the bench again?

Last edited:
Didn’t Osbourne get in with the wrong crowd and end up in trouble?

Let’s hope he has the right mentoring and someone to keep him on the right path, plus he’s technically sound though his downfall will be if he loses his acceleration and energy as he is naturally more lightweight. Osbourne was a technically poor but powerful player if my memory serves me right
Osbourne was just a massive hype job was a very poor mans Viera that's for sure lol.

He brought more energy and drive in his substitution appearance of 15 minutes than Barkley did in 65 minutes.

I know who I'd prefer to start against Leeds but will Dean smith's stubbornness mean yet another undeserved start for Barkley while a home-grown Villa man wanting to bust a gut for the team starts on the bench again?
Totally agree it's time to try something different but is it really down to Deans stubbornness.Personally I don't think so I think it's proper management in letting a young player gradually find his feet whilst keeping out of the limelight because coming on as a late substitute he will get he should have bought him on earlier he didn't have time to do much.Play him from the off like Wolves and all of a sudden it's he's not the answer too light weight never did anything worthwhile and the really ignorant ones saying he's shite and that would be the same for Sanson too.When Lambert was manager he was the biggest culprit for this buying young raw talent and just chucking them straight in sink or swim style.Not that he had much choice he just bought the wrong type of player that was needed it should have been more focused on tough experienced players.The worst example for me was Bennett we bought him in as a young boy and first time I saw him play I really thought he had something you could see he had a good left foot.But then what happens he's taking every free kick and corner we had thrusting him straight into the cross hairs so the booing starts.Then the one time he's having a good game against Bradford in the semi the only player on the pitch providing anything for the forwards and he could have come off the pitch a hero Lambert pulls him and chucks another forward on what a fucking genius that bloke was.Then he lets him do a Q&A bollocks where he had the shit ripped out of him and that was the end of Bennett now that for me is very poor management the absolute polar opposite of Deano.

Didn’t Osbourne get in with the wrong crowd and end up in trouble?

Let’s hope he has the right mentoring and someone to keep him on the right path, plus he’s technically sound though his downfall will be if he loses his acceleration and energy as he is naturally more lightweight. Osbourne was a technically poor but powerful player if my memory serves me right
Osbourne looked great in one of his early games, I think against Everton where he assisted Chris Sutton to score the winner. Just never pushed on.

Totally agree it's time to try something different but is it really down to Deans stubbornness.Personally I don't think so I think it's proper management in letting a young player gradually find his feet whilst keeping out of the limelight because coming on as a late substitute he will get he should have bought him on earlier he didn't have time to do much.Play him from the off like Wolves and all of a sudden it's he's not the answer too light weight never did anything worthwhile and the really ignorant ones saying he's shite and that would be the same for Sanson too.When Lambert was manager he was the biggest culprit for this buying young raw talent and just chucking them straight in sink or swim style.Not that he had much choice he just bought the wrong type of player that was needed it should have been more focused on tough experienced players.The worst example for me was Bennett we bought him in as a young boy and first time I saw him play I really thought he had something you could see he had a good left foot.But then what happens he's taking every free kick and corner we had thrusting him straight into the cross hairs so the booing starts.Then the one time he's having a good game against Bradford in the semi the only player on the pitch providing anything for the forwards and he could have come off the pitch a hero Lambert pulls him and chucks another forward on what a fucking genius that bloke was.Then he lets him do a Q&A bollocks where he had the shit ripped out of him and that was the end of Bennett now that for me is very poor management the absolute polar opposite of Deano.

Great post.

The calls around Ramsey are too familiar to those around many others in the past who have ultimately failed because it was too much to young(Andre Green, Callum Robinson, The Moores.......). There is a case to start him given our poor form over the last handful of games but to think he will come in and stay in is dreamer material. Has to be gradual introduction.

Great post.

The calls around Ramsey are too familiar to those around many others in the past who have ultimately failed because it was too much to young(Andre Green, Callum Robinson, The Moores.......). There is a case to start him given our poor form over the last handful of games but to think he will come in and stay in is dreamer material. Has to be gradual introduction.

All those you’ve mentioned failed because they weren’t good enough. If they’re good enough they’re old enough. The problem we’ve had over the years is that they just weren’t good enough, there’s an endless list of them.

Yes i do think we go overboard with some of the youngsters especially when we look at other teams and point out this player and that player.
We follow Villa we don't closely follow other teams and know the full facts on their kids.
Jacob Ramsey is starting to fill out as a man, his younger brother who is also a good player is still behind him and behind Aaron, there are players like Louie Barry. In between, there is Kesler and Chuckywhatsit who made the bench against Leicester.
It's a very good chance that one will make it at Villa there is next to no chance they will all make it.
Imagine the catchment area that London clubs have the money, clubs work on quantity, not quality. Every PL club has some wonderboy coming through, so do we but most will fall by the wayside or end up in the National league etc.

Jacob currently is the next one coming through, he looks to have the ability and the mentality, the extra bonus is he's Villa, he's local and that will be a key factor as he's living at home just down the rd from VP with his parents and his two Villa brothers.
Let's introduce him for the odd games this season and see if he kicks on and make the place his own. Ideal time with no fans in the ground to get on his case as well.

In saying that he looked far more effective than Barkley last game and he wants to play for us unlike Barkley who had to be begged to sign by Jack, which say a lot to me.

All those you’ve mentioned failed because they weren’t good enough. If they’re good enough they’re old enough. The problem we’ve had over the years is that they just weren’t good enough, there’s an endless list of them.

I think that's the thing with Ramsey. Too many think he is good enough without possibly knowing. And is he only good enough at this moment because he is an alternative to Barkley. He needs to only be playing if he is good enough on his own merits not because one particular player isn't exactly flavour of the month and its a way to oust that player.

Great post.

I don’t really get this attitude. The ONLY way you find out is by playing them! Too often we leave it too late which actually stifles their development.
Ramsey has shown on a few occasions now that he’s ready to be given a shot.

He was very good today. Passed it simply when required and also seemed to know the right occasions to run with it. He at least deserves to start the next game after that.

He did fine.

Nothing really spectacular and can’t say I noticed him above anyone else beyond Anwar and Marv from the midfield and forwards if I’m on honest. But that’s not a criticism as it was a team thing today with no one being absolutely stellar.

He did fine.

Nothing really spectacular and can’t say I noticed him above anyone else beyond Anwar and Marv from the midfield and forwards if I’m on honest. But that’s not a criticism as it was a team thing today with no one being absolutely stellar.

Yes. I don't think he looked out of place though.

Certainly hope for the future there I think.

Thought he was tidy. Nothing spectacular but did a decent job and gained more valuable experience. Also seems to me to be filling out a bit...looks quite a big unit which wont do him any harm.

Faded as the game went on but that's to be expected.

But showed good vision, technique, full of effort, and some good bite.

No player, unless their name is Lionel Messi, is going to be the finished article in just their second league start. It’s just about making small progress and gaining experience. I think he showed he can hold his own at this level and will hopefully only get better with more matches under his belt. With our season going well, now is probably a better time than ever to give him more game time.