The Jacob Ramsey Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

The Jacob Ramsey Thread

I think he’d tear it up in the chamionship and would do his development and confidence the world of good. The premier league is another level, but he can raise his ability to that over the next few seasons, there’s no rush.

Technically, I think he’s got it all, he just needs to add experience and a bit of physicality to his game.

He's got potential, but let's face it, he's only in the squad because he is presumably seen by DS as the best of what we have left (with Hourihane out of the picture aand Lansbury sold on) and the fact we are allowed 9 subs at the moment.

It'll do him good being in and around the first team but unless he starts pulling up trees in the remaining matches, I'm sure he'll be usurped by whoever we buy in the summer and will be sent on loan somewhere.

I hope the people posting in this thread about how Ramsey isn’t good enough and should be sent away will remember their comments next time they demand “youth is given a chance” or complain when we sell a youngster and then 5 years later they line up against us.

Ramsey is on a journey, every game he plays he will pick up a bit of experience and improve. I don’t think Smith would stick him in the team if he was a no-hoper. We’ve had youngsters before who have barely played until they are in their early twenties, this lad is still only 19. As a comparison Harvey Barnes at Leicester didn’t get proper game time at Leicester until he was 21 and he hasn’t turned out too bad.

Harvey Barnes was ‘sent away’ on loan.

I've been critical of Ramsey in terms of match days as I've just not seen anything from him in matches to excite me. Think most of the time he is a passenger.

However, there's no doubt that playing in these games is helping his development and I'm still hopeful that these minutes, plus a full pre-season as a fully blown 1st teamer will bring the best out of him next season.

I live in hope. Hope more than expectation given what I've seen so far.

Harvey Barnes was ‘sent away’ on loan.
Yes but my point was that Ramsey is currently ahead of the curve from where you’d expect him to be. He’s already starting PL games and has ousted Hourihane who is a solid pro and is showing his quality at Swansea. The comparison with Barnes was to show that Ramsey is younger than similar players in their development - yes he might not be the next Zinedine Zidane but if he can become a decent PL player like that lad at Leicester than that would be great for the club and for Ramsey himself.

And for the record if it were me I’d have loaned Ramsey out in January, but Smith decided he would give him PL game time instead so it was the right decision to keep him in that case.

I hope he spends the summer in the Gym. He was wafted off the ball repeatedly vs CP. He and others need to get some power and grit.

He reminds me in a way of Andre Green. There's something there but its almost like he's not got the confidence to do anything bar the simple stuff. His best moment in the Palace game came after something had happened that clearly annoyed him. He has a right surely face on him and immediately after received the ball, did a little pirouette on the ball past the defender and had a shot that was charged down. Now obviously it came to nothing but it made me wish he could be as bolshy as that more often.

He reminds me in a way of Andre Green. There's something there but its almost like he's not got the confidence to do anything bar the simple stuff. His best moment in the Palace game came after something had happened that clearly annoyed him. He has a right surely face on him and immediately after received the ball, did a little pirouette on the ball past the defender and had a shot that was charged down. Now obviously it came to nothing but it made me wish he could be as bolshy as that more often.
That's an excellent description. He's happy on the ball and keeping it ticking over but he's playing within himself. Or that's all he's got, but I hope it's the former.

Yes, his passing stats are better than SJM's by some distance and slightly better than Dougies at 85%.
Like people are saying he seems a little bit in awe of the company he is keeping he needs to take the shackles off and show those two up

Yes, his passing stats are better than SJM's by some distance and slightly better than Dougies at 85%.
Like people are saying he seems a little bit in awe of the company he is keeping he needs to take the shackles off and show those two up

Been here before . How many of these passes are actually effective or are they just nice safe Westwood and Connor sideways backward passes.

I thought yesterday was his best performance in a Villa shirt. Not perfect but certainly showed more than he ever has before. Whenever I've seen him before he seemed to lack confidence but today he was actually trying things rather than just doing whatever the safest option was.

He was running at the defence, linked well with everyone around him, worked hard and put in 1 absolute beauty of a crunching tackle first half. Ings should have scored when put through by him as well.

There's definitely improvements to he madebut he's still only 19 so we've time. Smith obviously has a lot of faith in him and I love that we always seem to have at least 1 local boy Villa fan playing for us. From when I started going to Villa Park we've had Daley, Taylor, Hendre, Gabby, Grealish and now Ramsey. Hopefully his brother, Louie Barry and Brad Young can form a core of Brummie Villa fans for years to come.

I thought he was one of our best midfielders yesterday and showed more energy throughout the game than any of them. I particularly liked his running with the ball and he looks to me as if he is beginning to feel he belongs. No way do I think he should be loaned out with all our current injuries, madness.

He may gain more than anyone from JG's departure. He is coming out of his shell and has a nice all-round blend of ability. Good vision, control and speed. Whether he's good or very good remains to be seen

Didn't rate him at all last season. Still not convinced he has the x-factor about him, but he's definitely improving and looks more at home.

I'd love to see what chuk could do in that position but there seems to be a pecking order at the moment and it's Jacobs place to lose. If he keeps playing like he is he'll be fine.

Played well yesterday, he has a lot of quality on the ball and demonstrated yesterday to me that he’s at least a championship player, and will have a decent career in the game. It’s up to him now whether he can push on and become a premier league quality player, he had a little more time on the ball yesterday and showed his quality, perhaps a bit more confidence and he would’ve driven more with the ball but he seems to want to keep it beat and tidy more often than not - which isn’t always a bad thing.

I hope he makes it, I’ve liked him from the first time I saw him play as I’m a sucker for a neat and tidy midfielder, but I do think he needs to push on this season.

Last edited:
He did well yesterday. He's a very solid basic player, good athletically, decent enough on the ball whilst not really appearing to excel at anything in particular. It was his best performance for us.

Smith clearly rates him and he has a pretty good opportunity to get a run of games now given injuries.