The Fulford/Villan57 Random Villa Stuff Thread | Page 6 | Vital Football

The Fulford/Villan57 Random Villa Stuff Thread

Stats only work alongside understanding the context and their limitations. Difference with "moneyball" between football and baseball.

yes, Football has too many variables to measure stats. Even assists are not accurate stats, as they could be a wonderful piece of skill or a tap to someone who whacks in a 35 yarder.

From a Villa point of view, I bet our player's stats are as good as any other club but the skills and speed at which these things are performed and the level of difficulty does not measure up.
That is where watching a player comes in.

I think I'm probably way out here on my own (as usual) but I've always wanted Aston Villa to be the Ajax of English football. By that I mean fully committed to the youth academy and playing our own brand of football and persevering through the tough times. I thought we were going that way under Smith but we seem to have gone a different direction since last summer.

Am I the only one who thinks this way?

I think I'm probably way out here on my own (as usual) but I've always wanted Aston Villa to be the Ajax of English football. By that I mean fully committed to the youth academy and playing our own brand of football and persevering through the tough times. I thought we were going that way under Smith but we seem to have gone a different direction since last summer.

I’d rather we just had a team that wins trophies, not sure that’s possible in the PL with the approach you mentioned

I know Villa are as good as our last result so it's a shame we might only be good Thursday to Sunday afternoon, after which we'll be absolutely shit until next season begins.

I use to feel that way myself, always tried to do that in FM when I got bored of whatever team I'd take up from the lower leagues. I think the league has always been too strong to do that and even more so now. Its even harder to do it when Arsenal, City and Chelsea try to poach your best young players and ruin them/they ruin themselves.

Looks like we finally have the brains in Purslow and senior leadership to make our academy a priority. Given the strength of the EPL we're always going to need to supplement with excellent senior players. However, at least now we can bring lads into the team without needing them to hit the ground running immediately.

I also think we kind of need to be more successful before we can transition to a more youth based system. Even so it looks conceivable that we could have Tim, Carney and Ramsey as a midfield trio in a season or two.