The Fulford/Villan57 Random Villa Stuff Thread | Vital Football

The Fulford/Villan57 Random Villa Stuff Thread

You can see why they were signed. Buendia because he offered creativity and flair which were things we'd lost when YKW went, Bailey because he had the speed and skills to be the attacking winger we can use, Ings because otherwise we have been relying on Ollie as our only serious centre forward.

Didn't quite work out like that. Maybe we were expecting too much. It's often in their second year that a signing clicks.
Buendia cost more than Luiz Dias. We should rightly expect a lot from Buendia and Ings given prior experience at this level.

You can see why they were signed. Buendia because he offered creativity and flair which were things we'd lost when YKW went, Bailey because he had the speed and skills to be the attacking winger we can use, Ings because otherwise we have been relying on Ollie as our only serious centre forward.

Didn't quite work out like that. Maybe we were expecting too much. It's often in their second year that a signing clicks.
Hmmmm not sure about that , Buendia maybe at a push but we overpaid for him. Ings was shear panic signing . whoever came up with Bailey should be sacked immediately

I remember when Ashley Young signed, in the beginning he looked way out of his depth and all you thought was what a waste of money... Then in those last five games it all started to click.
I thought he was bright in his debut against West Ham and then he scored against Newcastle shortly after but yes he did struggle until the last few games of the season.

I thought he was bright in his debut against West Ham and then he scored against Newcastle shortly after but yes he did struggle until the last few games of the season.

I remember watching us playing Liverpool at Villa park, the game was an unremarkable 0-0 draw, he got to the byline and then sliced his cross out for a goal kick when it was easier to cross it in and the guy next to me was distraught and saying 'what are we going to do with him?'.

I've seen £37m quoted, maybe as an initial fee, but nevertheless not a million miles off.
£39m + 12m in add ins according to sky. A lot of money but not crazy levels especially if he continues in this form. The top clubs have the pick of the players, already have solid squads so aren’t forced into anything and can take advantage when there’s a good deal available. Agree Liverpool are probably the best around at the moment for sensible transfer strategy.

On the other hand we have to scrap for every deal and compete with other mid table PL clubs and foreign clubs in Europe so it pushes the price up for average players. When the deals for the top players become available they don’t want to come here, just look at Bentancur. It’s certainly easier to maintain the position in the “top 6” than it is to break in.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/footb...e-and-a-half-year-deal-for-initial-fee-of-37m

£39m + 12m in add ins according to sky. A lot of money but not crazy levels especially if he continues in this form. The top clubs have the pick of the players, already have solid squads so aren’t forced into anything and can take advantage when there’s a good deal available. Agree Liverpool are probably the best around at the moment for sensible transfer strategy.

On the other hand we have to scrap for every deal and compete with other mid table PL clubs and foreign clubs in Europe so it pushes the price up for average players. When the deals for the top players become available they don’t want to come here, just look at Bentancur. It’s certainly easier to maintain the position in the “top 6” than it is to break in.

Such an important comment and observation, I got my facts mixed up the other day but Keita is a good example. Liverpool has been able to wait 2 or 3 years for him to "turn up". Pep is able to let Mahrez and Grealish be bit players until they learn his system. Even Leicester recently were able to buy Fofana and Soyuchu hang around for a season before really starting them regularly.

We're hardly even prepared to give Coutinho a few months to get up to speed never mind giving Bailey a full season. For us and clubs like us, they need to hit the ground running. And when they don't they're often out the door.

Surely the answer to the question of whether players should get a little grace before we write them off is: "Juan Pablo Angel".

Surely the answer to the question of whether players should get a little grace before we write them off is: "Juan Pablo Angel".

We'll if you read the story of how he and his wife were left to fend for themselves in a strange country it's hardly surprising he couldn't play. Really shocking treatment for a record signing. I don't think the players we sign now are treated like that thankfully

Wasn't Petrov left in a hotel for months and completely depressed when he moved to Villa?

I can't remember if that was the clubs fault or not, I remember reading about it once, but can't find the story now.